• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Duel Masters Victory V Anime to Premiere on Saturday

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
It's another gross CG show. Kaijudo premieres in June on The Hub, with a special sneak peak presentation in May.
11G4GUNOT

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Hooray! Very Happy finally something besides replaying classic Transformers generation 1 and replay and new season of Transformers Prime still playing unlike Deltora Quest.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:44 pm Reply with quote
For a second I misread it and thought Victory was going to air in the US.
darkonezero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
I wonder why they're doing this instead of localizing the Japanese series. Too Japanese or something?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:41 pm Reply with quote
darkonezero wrote:
I wonder why they're doing this instead of localizing the Japanese series. Too Japanese or something?

Given all the editing of the first series, I would say content level, but then by that logic Yu-Gi-Oh never would have aired here since it's worse in terms of that.

More than likely it's because America only got the first series, and there's about 8 more after it, with a new one coming out each year in Japan. They'd have to play catch-up pretty fast, and keep in mind a 5+ year old show also means the episodes will feature 5+ year old cards, so if they're only in it for the money, that's obviously a big no no for them. Though we still don't know if it's still the Japanese card game being imported (and if they pick up where the American game left off or just skip ahead to the more recent sets in Japan) or if they're making their own American card game instead) If I had to guess, I would say the new card game will be American-exclusive, similar to the show.
darkonezero

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
darkonezero wrote:

Given all the editing of the first series, I would say content level, but then by that logic Yu-Gi-Oh never would have aired here since it's worse in terms of that.

More than likely it's because America only got the first series, and there's about 8 more after it, with a new one coming out each year in Japan. They'd have to play catch-up pretty fast, and keep in mind a 5+ year old show also means the episodes will feature 5+ year old cards, so if they're only in it for the money, that's obviously a big no no for them. Though we still don't know if it's still the Japanese card game being imported (and if they pick up where the American game left off or just skip ahead to the more recent sets in Japan) or if they're making their own American card game instead) If I had to guess, I would say the new card game will be American-exclusive, similar to the show.

I always considered the first series to be a result of the company employed with localizing it more than censorship or actual localization concerns.
Primus

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:10 am Reply with quote
darkonezero wrote:

The animation is horrible in the CG series. Everything's stiff, and the quality of the renders are just a bit above what one could expect from a PS2 game with anti-aliasing applied. The series is also entrenched with years of other Japan-only series that would be nearly impossible to get through unless they were aired every single day on The Hub. To top it all off, the latter series have episodes that are all 12 minutes long.

TitanXL wrote:
darkonezero wrote:

Kaijudo's starting at square-one with redone card sets. While it appears gameplay is more or less the same there has been changes to the card layout, and instead of a "Duel Masters" card backing, it has "Kaijudo".
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:28 pm Reply with quote
I think you're harping on the CG a bit too much. Besides, if kids can handle all the Flash/CG stuff on Nickelodeon/Cartoon Network/Disney, they can definitely handle Victory.

And I'm not sure if that's wise replacing the card game... Duel Masters is the #2 card game out there in popularity after Yu-Gi-Oh, and losing that name recognition and established customers seems like purposely shooting themselves in the foot.

I think is going to go the way of Chaotic in the end.

(Also, having seen the first episode and all the crossdressing going on, I guess that's a good reason it'll never air here. No way they can Zoicite/Fish-Eye their way out of this one.
Primus

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:23 am Reply with quote
The animation in Victory V is really bad. Kids would notice going from Transformers Prime to that. Which is amazing since in Japan it's Transformers Prime, and the Duel Masters Victory V, then the new Bakugan which is also a piece of CG trash.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1