• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Adds Shangri-La TV Anime Series

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oneeyedjacks

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I'm surprised it took this long for it to get licensed, though I don't think anyone wanted it to be.
Key

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
And given Funimation's recent track record, it could be another two years before this one actually gets released Stateside. Razz
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
You got that right, was a waste of nice visuals on a story about carbon taxes and creepy shrine maidens. But I guess FUNi pretty much has to, being buddy-buddy with GONZO and all.
Reibooi

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
And given Funimation's recent track record, it could be another two years before this one actually gets released Stateside. Razz

You know that isn't their fault right? Pretty much every show that has seen that massive delay was a geneon show and it's because they were not sending the materials Funi needed until recently(due to a merger of Geneon and Universal over in Japan) Most of the shows come out alot quicker although not as fast as say Sentai gets em out.

To be honest I forgot this show even existed until I saw the headline. I never saw it but I remember there being some hate around it when it was airing but I never really cared to follow why. I'll wait to see what it looks like closer to release before I make a decision on it.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I've never heard of this anime..its interesting that Funimation decided to pick up a three year old anime title its not like them to do such a thing.I wish they would pick titles that aren't brand new and glossy more often keeps things fresh and unpredictable.
Emerje

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I don't think it was bad at all, but the rating bar in the Encyclopedia certainly does tell a tale. However, even though I liked it, I think No. 6 did a better job with a very similar premise (but without all of the economic gibberish and otaku bait).

I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I've never heard of this anime..its interesting that Funimation decided to pick up a three year old anime title its not like them to do such a thing.

I think they're on a bit of a Range Murata high right now thanks to Last Exile

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Glad Funimation picked this up, i'm not a big Gonzo fan, but this is one of their shows i've been meaning to check out, now i'll have an excuse to once Funimation puts the eps on their site.

May even buy it when it comes out physically if I enjoy it enough.

...Although I have heard mixed messages about it, meh, guess i'll find out if its any good for myself soon enough.
SaharaFrost

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Awesome news! I never expected this one to get licensed...didn't think it garnered enough interest for that. Crossing my fingers for a physical release. Very Happy
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:

FYI, they began streaming Toaru Majutsu no Index recently, so there is a light at the end of that long tunnel.

At least with Shangri-La, one can always go over to Crunchyroll and watch it online in the interim.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY!! I've been waiting for this ever since it was simulcast. I always thought this was a great series and one of the best of that season (which is saying something because that's the same season as FMA:B, Cross Game, Guin Saga, and Eden of the East!). If they put this on Blu-Ray, I will buy it!

Man, with Guin Saga coming on Blu-Ray, this, and SPC on DVD, I'm going to be losing a lot of money this year!
jeffry747

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Awesome. Maybe now I won't have to stream it to finish out the series.
TnKtRk

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Meh...lost interest half way thru, while it was airing on CR, so not particularly excited 'bout this license. But you never know, maybe the dub will hook me in for the long haul.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Saw part of this on crunchyroll, but lost interest and never finished it. Been meaning to go back to it one of these days when I have the time, and I guess I should do so sooner rather than later since it will probably be removed from crunchyroll as Funimation's release get's closer.

Still, there are other series I intend to finish first.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:12 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this is a sign that Princess Jellyfish was a huge ultra massive success to the point that Funi is going after anything with trannies in it, regardless of quality?
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:22 pm Reply with quote
^^^
Laughing

Horrible psycho villainess (one of anime's most evil characters- but rather pointlessly so), some confused plotting (to say the least). Yet some high quality protagonists that I really liked.

I liked the economic part of it, it was the magic part, that was only explained at the end, that left a really bad taste in my mouth.

Economics, environmental, Sci-fi, magic...

In the end, didn't feel I wasted my time watching the stream- but definitely won't be buying it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3