• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Unpopular anime opinions.

Goto page   Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
Don't worry, since having a negative opinion on something is block-worthy on these forums, there'll be some positive opinions to balance it out.

-An anime can have fanservice and still be entertaining. Dragon Ball is legendary, and that had fanservice up the arse early in its run.

-Yu-Gi-Oh! jumped the shark when the card game took over the plot. Early in the manga, there was actual variety when Yami played the Shadow Games. Hell, Yami actually killed people when they lost. Ever since Death-T, they softened Yami up and the duels aren't even shadow games anymore.

-I feel like Weeaboos are picking stupider and stupider reasons to bash dubs. They bitch about Sebastian's voice in Black Butler for not being deep enough. Barry Fracken White's voice isn't that deep! Christopher Nolan's movies aren't that deep! Then there's Ciel's voice. Well, Funimation apologizes for not finding some 10-year-old brat that can't act to voice him. Mei Rin's voice is high-pitched and annoying? You're just not trying anymore, aren't you?

-Anime can be adapted into live-action if put into competent hands. Just because Dragonball Evolution raped your childhood doesn't mean every single live action adaptation is complete and utter crap. Also, people said the same thing about comic book movies back in the 90s. Well, Spider-Man, X-Men, Iron Man, The Incredible Hulk, Thor, Captain America, and The Dark Knight would like to have a word with those people.

-One Piece is not the most underrated anime in the world. I swear, it's fans are like the Earthbound fans who think something is underrated even though it has legions of fans who praise it.

-The Tsundere archetype is incredibly overrated. Yes, because when I want a woman, I want one that screams at me like R. Lee Emery in a death metal band, beats me until I have brain-damage, says "stupid" like it's a verbal tic, and suddenly falls in love with me after years of physical and emotional abuse.

-The Moe archetype is incredibly over-hated. 90% of the people that hate them are feminist gimps who think that if a series involves any form of physical confrontation, killing something is mandatory. I didn't sit through High School of the Dead screaming at Saya whenever she opened her mouth and thought to myself "gee, this girl has a horrible personality. Maybe if she kills a zombie, she'll automatically be a bearable character." Still don't believe me? Saeko from the same series has absolutely no personality and is a cut-and-paste knock-off of the samurai girl you've seen in every anime that featured one. Also, there have been plenty of Moe girls that can kick-ass: Moka from Rosario+Vampire, Hinata from Naruto (and no, lack of screen-time doesn't exempt her from the list. She's not perfect, but she still tries), and just about every Magical Girl character. The other 10% that hate them are Yaoi fangirls.

-Vic Mignogna is not a voice-acting god. I'm not calling him terrible, but he seriously lacks range. Of course, this is probably mostly type-casting on his part. I'd be a hypocrite if I ignored that, since I'm a fan of Stephanie Sheh, the queen of type-casting. He's a good singer, but all the rumors I hear about him being a Bible-thumping homophobe doesn't exactly work in his favor.

-Dragon Ball GT wasn't that bad. Granted, it had flaws, but I liked the ending better. The Shadow Dragons were interesting villains. I mean, what better final confrontation than the MacGuffin itself? Also, the Super Saiyan 4 I feel cleared up a massive plot hole. Vegeta said on Namek that every 1000 years, A Super Saiyan is born. Not the 20 the Cell and Buu sagas introduced, one. Goku achieving this transformation clears things up. Vegeta doesn't count because he achieved it via laser plot device.

-Villains should not be pardoned for their evil acts just because they're bishonen (In America, we call that 'homo-erotic'). TV Tropes likes to call this the "Draco in Leather Pants" trope: villains that have legions of fangirls despite their evil acts. Seriously, Organization XIII (aka, the bland villains that ruined Kingdom Hearts) get this the most. They commit some pretty horrid acts, but they're all ignored. Kefka from FFVI does some pretty horrible things too, but he's generally ignored because he doesn't look more effeminate than the female lead. For an actual anime example, who has more fangirls in "Bleach?" Everyone in the Espada or Mayuri Kurotsuchi? The latter is hated by the fans because he got away with some pretty bad things, despite being a good guy (at least that's what Kubo thinks). That just shows how shallow fangirls can be sometimes.

-Rumiko Takahashi can't write a love story to save her life. Her shows are good, but the love stories ruin them. If I asked what manga she wrote where the main couples always argue like if they were in 80s sitcoms, which one would you think I was talking about?

-There are some legit reasons to dismiss older anime. A personal pet peeve of mine is when oldschool fans think the classics are dismissed because "they're old." Did it ever occur to them that some titles didn't age well? While Speed Racer is a classic, its animation makes Zero Punctuation look like Hayao Miyazaki. Not to mention, Speed always won his races. When the hero is unstoppable, it just makes things boring and predictable. At least in the live-action movie, they have Speed lose a few races. I tried giving Gatchaman a chance and I really wanted to like it, but I just couldn't get into it. My biggest concern about watching an old anime is running into spoilers. Like, say if you watch a series that already ended on Youtube and you find some jackoff in the comment section that say "X is so awesome! It sucks that he died." Yeah, spoiler[Kamina's death] in Gurren Laggann would have been a much sadder death if you didn't ruin it for other fans. If the comment was in the episode where said character died, it's understandable. Read the comments at your own risk, but have some decency.

Alright. Give your unpopular anime opinions.

EDIT: More opinions.

-Just because a certain character has the slightest bit of angst doesn't mean they are the "whiny emo" of the group. I hate how losing your family or the love of your life is no longer a legit reason for negative emotions. People hate Sasuke from Naruto for this. Me personally, I hated Sasuke because he was a self-absorbed jerk who put everyone down.

-Haruhi Suzumiya was not meant to be likable. The writer didn't intend for it, yet her fans worship her for everything she does. I guess that was probably why I was under the impression she was a Designated Hero.

-Not all of the Naruto fillers were utter crap. Granted, plenty of them were terrible with plots like Ninja Mailmen, Magic Curry, and an unmentioned Mist Swordsman that you'd see in a Mary Sue fic, not to mention the mountains of Character Derailment for the sake of humor, but there were some passable fillers. The Kakashi's mask was hillarious, the Infiltration of Orochimaru's Lair (the first in the Filler Saga) put some character development of Sakura and was pretty dark, and the fillers in Shippuden were a step up from the crappier ones in part one.

-Not all of the filler in Dragon Ball Z was unnecessary. The ones that involved Gohan's training with Piccolo were the best because they helped show Gohan's character development more clearly. I wish Kai kept that in.

-The 4Kids dub of Shaman King wasn't that bad. While the accents made no sense (Ren being British, Lyserg being American), it had some pretty humorous Woolseyisms, especially from Ren. Speaking of him, they made him a little more sarcastic, which added something to his character aside from being the "rival-turned-friend" cliche you always see. Also, bonus points for actually mentioning death in this series. Sure, they altered Eliza's death, but at least they still implied that she died rather than the usual 4Kids BS.

-Funimation needs to stop cut down on using Todd Haberkorn as the go-to lead male. I've got nothing against Todd, but I feel like he's getting all the lead voices nowadays. First, it seemed like Vic Mignogna was that VA, but now Haberkorn's taking his place.

-I feel like Asuka's character didn't change in the Rebuild of Evangelion films. Seriously, they praise these movies for making the characters more likable, but so far, Shinji's the only one they really changed for the better. Asuka is still the same stuck-up know-it-all that we despised a decade ago.

EDIT- Even more opinions.

-Just because something is made by Little Kuriboh doesn't automatically make it comedic gold. Nothing against LK and YGOTAS, but I find his version of NTAS overrated and filled with overused gags. His recent April Fools video on Michael Bay was incredibly predictable and unfunny. My big gripe is that you can't go on a YGO related video without someone quoting LK like as if they think they're being original.

-Bludgeoning Angel Dokuro-chan is just shit. Pure shit. It's only brand of comedy is a twelve-year-old boy dying brutally. To quote the Nostalgia Critic, "that's not funny, you sick *beep*." Are we supposed to find this hilarious? That's not comedy, that's sadism. If I wanted that, I'd watch Happy Tree Friends. At least that's over in 60 seconds. Now, I watch South Park, so wouldn't bashing this series make me a hypocrite? Well the difference between the two shows is that SP has more than one brand of comedy.

-Baka and Test is unbearable. The plot makes no sense for one. So, they use RPG game characters to get a better room? Were filling out paper work or actually getting better grades not stupid enough ideas? Also, I find Mizuki's reason to get stuck in the idiot class wall-bangingly stupid. So, if she has a medical problem, she can't retake the exams? She's stuck in the idiot class no matter what? I know Japan has high standards, but I question how these teachers got employed (especially the ones who flat out call their students idiots). Finally, the characters are either bland or unlikable. Yuji is the only tolerable one because he actually has a personality. Minami is probably the Jar Jar Binks of anime. Every time she appears, I just scream for her to go to hell. We're supposed to believe she loves Yoshi, but she breaks his bones if he looked at her the wrong way. She's probably the worst example of a Tsundere. She makes Naru Narusegawa look like a tolerable character. How does she get away with this? Are the teachers blind? Wait a minute, I'm asking for the teachers to develop competence when I ranted about them earlier. Yoshi in return is a douche to her, but I'd be a jerk too if my only friend was a sadistic bully. I'm surprised Yoshi didn't go on a Columbine-style massacre for all the shit he has to deal with every episode. Hell, if it ended that way, at least the series would reward me for sitting through it. The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya may have annoyed me, but Baka and Test pissed me the *beep* off.

-The live-action Fist of the North Star movie was decent. Yeah, it had white actors as the lead and no budget, but it was a better adaptation that Dragonball Evolution.

Last edited by Animeking1108 on Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
egoist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:30 am Reply with quote
I got over most of my dislikes in anime, to be honest. I used to dislike Holo and despise Haruhi, but I like both now. Glad I do because I used to really like Holo until season 2 happened.

One thing I'd say is Madoka. Felt like forced drama. Tried too hard to appear dark. Left little to be curious about, even though I didn't find the ending satisfactory. Bokurano and NGE, which are similar shows in many aspects, did make me care about the characters, which is a key in my enjoyment.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:18 am Reply with quote
I guess I run into having opinions that are unpoppular. I will agree with some of your thoughts on GT, fanservice and moe.

-Just because something is not spelled out with an explanation, doesn't mean it is a plothole, like say a death that would normally be impossible. I have found myself having to increasingly defend shows on suposed plot holes.

-Just becaus it is different, does not mean it is good. There are some others have praised for being fresh and new, but I found in their attempt to be different that they can come off as realy ugly.

-And to go with above, just because something has a "cliche", does not mean that it is bad. Some say that creativity is dead, but everything was new once, and you never know what new twist might be thrown in.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
I agree that Dragon Ball GT is not that bad. I remember that I liked it better than Dragon Ball Z, which is strewn with boring, endless fights. At least DB GT has more adventures, so it's more enjoyable, even if there are plot-holes.

Quote:

There are some legit reasons to dismiss older anime. A personal pet peeve of mine is when oldschool fans think the classics are dismissed because "they're old." Did it ever occur to them that some titles didn't age well?

Well, some people mix up good old anime with anime for which they have nostalgic feelings. If I wanted to show someone that old anime are good, I seriously doubt that I would recommend watching Gatchaman.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
-Stuff from Japan is not automatically superior to stuff from the west. Seriously, it's not 2001 anymore, this argument needs to die.
belindabird
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:59 am Reply with quote
I agree with many things on your long list of opinions, but would you be willing to use different terminology in describing how Dragonball Evolution was a poor adaptation of a cartoon many of us enjoyed as younger fans? A bad director taking a nostalgic property and mucking around with it poorly doesn't cause nearly the amount of trauma as sexual victimization does to someone, and it's really upsetting for me to see that wording used in a space where potentially thousands of people could be hurt by unexpectedly seeing it. Thanks.

As for the subject at hand, I'm sure I have plenty of unpopular opinions myself (I personally disagree that there's a lot of "needed" or contextually-appropriate fanservice - if a show is good it doesn't need to exploit its female characters or insult its potential female audience), but I don't really make it a point to be confrontational about it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
One that's been getting under my skin lately is this opinion: "How dare anything get made but mature anime for mature people, such as myself." This tends to be coupled with that idea that anime is dying because they've seen Cowboy Bebop and use that as the main comparison to shows coming out now. Sorry buddy, the late 90s is a complete anomaly for TV anime, where you have such a high concentration of pretty timeless shows. But that's not say there wasn't shit then too. There's always been trash, there's also been pandering, there's always been moe: cute girls doing cute things. The only difference is now those things are getting licensed and subbed, you didn't have fansubbers wanting to bring over all of Creamy Mami and Minky Momo in the 90s, people wanted the action and violence and the out-there stuff. What's changed is that anime has become easier to produce, coupled with the format change from long 4-cour shows to mostly 1 and 2-cour. This is a good thing, as it allows more topics and stories to be explored. Sure you'll get regurgitated plots and characters, but it's not like anime didn't do that before. Look at super robot shows from the 70s and 90s, or the wacky sci-fi types from the late 90s.

You still get your "mature" anime, and harem fans their their shows, and mecha fans get their shows, and so on. Anime is a medium, and it's broad. Not all books are meant to be liked by everyone or necessarily deep, not all music is performed for the same exact tastes, and everyone certainly won't enjoy the same kinds of movies. Watch what you watch, but don't try to act as if anime is on the brink of destruction, or has somehow changed in an unfavorable manner; that's just what entertainment does, it constantly evolves. I know this is an unpopular opinion because I see the exact opposite every day, when people say that anime that comes out today isn't like the stuff they saw on Toonami or Adult Swim a decade ago.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Unpopular anime opinions thread: As seen on /a/!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:43 pm Reply with quote
Well, I believe:

-That Evangellion isn't the be-all-end-all that some people make it out to be and has flaws. Still an entertaining series though.

-Open endings (usually, but not always) suck. I want closure instead.

-In the 100 episode rule. One should be dubious of starting series that have run over 100 episodes as it's highly unlikely that the series will end well; being prone to cancellation, non-endings, or becoming never-ending money pits which will cost you a fortune to own.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
I once asked a question that I could have framed better. Got hammered pretty hard for it. In retrospect, I offered my opinion at the time in an ill-considered manner. At the very least, I should have offered more context for my opinion.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
Got real bored of Cowboy Bebop after like 4 episodes. Forced myself through it because of the awesome dub, but I really can't re-watch it. Yea Spike is cool and all, but that can only carry it for so long. I can only take so many episodes ending with "hyuk hyuk, we lost the money/didn't get paid/had to spend it on collateral damage, hyuk hyuk, doesn't life suck like that? hyuk hyuk." I just don't get episodic shows that aren't comedies or mysteries. I go to anime for characters that actually change and grow as the story progresses. If I want a show I can jump in anywhere, I go to normal T.V.

*Puts on flame-retardant armor and grabs the shield I got from Medieval Times*

Last edited by Mr Sinister on Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:17 am; edited 1 time in total
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:13 am Reply with quote
Mr.Sinister--
Different strokes for different folks!
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:43 am Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:
-The Tsundere archetype is incredibly overrated.
-The Moe archetype is incredibly over-hated.
You are my hero. I love you! Very Happy
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
I take solace in the fact that my opinions, while unpopular, are correct.

--The Index franchise is one of the worst anime series out there. The plot is at best nonsensical, the characters act irrationally, and there are plot holes large enough to drive a Mack Truck through. The very setting is absurd to the extreme, and all the characters are merely a collection of database tropes artificially designed for maximum moe-ness. The franchise is a stain.

--Character animation in K-On is crap. Admit it.

--The tsundere stereotype was great when first developed, but now is overused. It has become a stand-in for lazy writing.

--Giant humanoid robots are completely impractical. The human body is good for two things -- generalized adaption (we can run, swim, climb, etc) and tool holding (opposable thumbs). In every other design, we are inferior. Why would anyone create piloted robots in the shape of humans when there are so many better designs out there? Particularly in terms of space flight. It's bad science fiction.

--Cowboy Bebop is highly overrated. And so is Michiko e Hatchin, although it does have one of the best endings ever.

--And here's the big one: Physical Anime Media in America needs to be priced higher. The future is NISA and Aniplex. And dubs are unnecessary.
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
My opinion on tsundere characters is pretty mixed atm. I really dislike the midget ones, which are generally voiced by Rie and have pretty much the very same traits. On the other hand, there are characters like Makise Kurisu and Ferris Eris, whom I'd definitely have as two of my favourite tsunderes. I believe I had another really good example of tsundere in mind, but forgot it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 84