• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gen Urobuchi, Katsushi Ota and Atsuhiro Iwakami Q&A

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MelonCharm

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
I am concered by the use of "deconstruction" in the article. I doubt the western anime fan/watchmen/TVtropes bastardization of the term has much meaning in Japanese. Was the word actually used when spoken to Urobuchi (I'm assuming he was spoken to in Japanese) or is this just translation nonsense?
ANN_Lynzee
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:19 am Reply with quote
MelonCharm wrote:
I am concered by the use of "deconstruction" in the article. I doubt the western anime fan/watchmen/TVtropes bastardization of the term has much meaning in Japanese. Was the word actually used when spoken to Urobuchi (I'm assuming he was spoken to in Japanese) or is this just translation nonsense?

The word was used in the question (in English) by an attendee, the question was then translated into Japanese to the panelists. Gen Urobuchi answered back in Japanese and that answer was again translated into English.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
spacmace

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
>Bringing the [Fate/Zero] novels then might be a good idea.

Oh please make this happen! I'd much rather hold the books in my own hands than read online.
jymmy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear a sane opinion about Kyubey, even if it has to be from the orginal creator. He's really not evil in the slightest; if anything he's benevolent - albeit creepy, sinister and not very nice to humans in particular.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
octopodpie wrote:
MelonCharm wrote:

The word was used in the question (in English) by an attendee, the question was then translated into Japanese to the panelists. Gen Urobuchi answered back in Japanese and that answer was again translated into English.

I'm more interested in what Japanese word they used to say "deconstruction." To my knowledge, there IS no Japanese word for it. As I am trying to document and construct a fan-biography of Urobuchi, using accurate and reliable research, I really want to know this if I can. If it was whispered, though, that would be unfortunate.

Speaking of which, does anyone have a video of this panel? It would also greatly help my research!
Dessa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Regarding the use of the word "deconstruction", IIRC, the word was not directly translated by the translator, but explained, and the translation of his comments used "deconstruction" as that was the specific word used in the question.

As for video, while there were press who recorded the session, no video or still photography from non-press were allowed here or the Q&A panel after the Fate/Zero screening (I did not attend the Madoka Q&A panel, but I am assuming that it was the same for that as well).
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
Out of the context, it seems likely that the word was used in the way it is usually done in geekdom, as a synonym to "subversion". I'm sure there are words or phrases that correspond to this one in Japanese.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
Remembering more on this question (a night's sleep does wonders for con-exhaustion), I think it was clear that Urobuchi understood what the word/question meant, because he raised up Evangelion as an example of deconstruction of the giant robot genre.
Juno016

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:02 pm Reply with quote
Dessa wrote:
Regarding the use of the word "deconstruction", IIRC, the word was not directly translated by the translator, but explained, and the translation of his comments used "deconstruction" as that was the specific word used in the question.

As for video, while there were press who recorded the session, no video or still photography from non-press were allowed here or the Q&A panel after the Fate/Zero screening (I did not attend the Madoka Q&A panel, but I am assuming that it was the same for that as well).

Thank you! I suppose I will just have to keep it vague. In the past, the word Urobuchi used was closest to the English word, "subversion" rather than "deconstruction," but it was an interviewer who used the word toward him first, so it's possible he just stuck with that description from then on. Urobuchi likes to leave us to our own tools to interpret things, though, so it's not a big deal if people use "subversion" or "deconstruction" to describe things like Saya no Uta and Puella Magi Madoka Magica.
Kirkdawg
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:02 pm Reply with quote
So maybe there is some hope for an English adaption of the Fate novels. I would be thrilled if that were to happen.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1