• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Chihayafuru episodes 1-25 streaming

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TG72

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote
This show was a real treat to watch. Chihaya could get carried away at times (like when she was recruiting members), but she recognized her mistakes and tried to do better. I thought Taichi was the most interesting character, at first being spoiler[jealous and sometimes petty]but going on to be spoiler[a good leader for the club.]

I'd be a little suprised to see it licensed but hope at least the manga will be picked up. I want to see how this story ends.
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
enurtsol wrote:
"If it takes at least 500 million yen to fund a television anime, the anime has to boost the total manga sales by at least 3.3 million copies to be profitable for the publisher."

Again, that's total manga boost over its lifetime, not per volume. So that's the goal for every 500 million yen spent on the anime.

That assuming that this series cost 500 million yen ($6.1 million), which, to my knowledge, is not frequent for TV series, many of which are produced on the cheap. If you know the budget for this series, then we can do a calculation. Though yes, an additional 20,000 per volume is not promising.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
I loved Chihayafuru enough that I'm importing the BD release. I'm really hoping that I'll have the chance to double-dip with a US BD set/half-sets.

I liked Chihaya, although the Chihaya/Taichi/Arata triangle didn't really interest me. The Chihaya's other team members were fun, especially Tsutomu and Kanade... I liked the end of the series well enough, with Chihaya's loss.
jojothepunisher

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
After reading this review, I gave this show a try, and man, I have never cried so much for a show in my life after just watching the first 4 episodes. Just to not cause any misunderstanding, there were no sadness or anything of that sort, but there definitely were PASSION and FRIENDSHIP.

I guess the shoujo/josei style of character design is fine, but I would have being more happy if they did this in a shounen style.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:05 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
"If it takes at least 500 million yen to fund a television anime, the anime has to boost the total manga sales by at least 3.3 million copies to be profitable for the publisher."

Again, that's total manga boost over its lifetime, not per volume. So that's the goal for every 500 million yen spent on the anime.

That assuming that this series cost 500 million yen ($6.1 million), which, to my knowledge, is not frequent for TV series, many of which are produced on the cheap. If you know the budget for this series, then we can do a calculation. Though yes, an additional 20,000 per volume is not promising.

You're right on both, and yeah it doesn't have to cost 500 million yen. Just do a proportional adjustment whether above or below that number.
Clyde_Cash

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:47 pm Reply with quote
We really need another season.

And am I the only person who thought those leaves looked like marijuana leaves? Are the animators trying to tell us something?
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
And am I the only person who thought those leaves looked like marijuana leaves? Are the animators trying to tell us something?

Those are Japanese maple leaves. They're pretty common in anime, I think, but someone ends up mistaking them for marijuana leaves every time... Anime smile + sweatdrop
dxthegreat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 3:12 pm Reply with quote
I'm just glad ANN has enough sense to make someone other than bamboo review this o.O

not saying bamboo's reviews r bad though.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Clyde_Cash wrote:
We really need another season.

Yep, Japanese maple, fooling potheads since 1967 Laughing
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Was no one else put off when Chihaya got the Happy Birthday text from Arata and had an orgasm on the spot?
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:41 am Reply with quote
Chihayafuru may have had a non-ending but I still gave it Masterpiece, because it is very, very rare to watch an Anime where every single episode is a good one. Even the recap was okay. I loved the show, the visuals, the music, but especially the characters, If there ain't a fanfic out there featuring Tsutomu and Kana getting all hot and steamy I'll darn well write one myself.

Gewürtztraminer wrote:
As a result, the last 3 episodes we got to watch the Karuta club wspoiler[atch television].
Yeah!
Even with all that nonsense, it still was a great show.

Don't forget how the first Haruhi series had Kyon reading a book for several minutes.

I refute that the last three episodes are boring or weak. In the last episode of Chihayafuru, Tsutomu says that spoiler[Chihaya has twenty-one one-syllable cards.] One of the best parts of the Anime, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Mr Sinister wrote:
Was no one else put off when Chihaya got the Happy Birthday text from Arata and had an orgasm on the spot?

Chihaya is so blind to sex and just general male-female relations that she probably wouldn't know what an orgasm was even if she experienced one. That's why I was more a fan of Kana.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2