• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: S'More Ent. Acknowledges Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo Packaging Error

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:18 pm Reply with quote
Yes, DVD sales in general are pretty low right now, but c'mon! They're not THAT low! How expensive can it be to create a freakin' SUBTITLE track?! Especially when you're not spending any money creating an English dub (since in this case, one is already made), and the Japanese track appears to be translated (since the translated script IS included) I'm sure you can fork over some cash to create a subtitle track...

Otherwise, this release does have a nice design and packaging, and it looks and sounds GREAT. However, the subtitle issue is a real bummer.

Last edited by PurpleWarrior13 on Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
RTL3

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:31 pm Reply with quote
Lame, i ordered it last week. didn't actually look to see if there were subs, just have kind of come to expect them. Oh well, I've heard the english dub is pretty good.
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
RTL3 wrote:
Lame, i ordered it last week. didn't actually look to see if there were subs, just have kind of come to expect them. Oh well, I've heard the english dub is pretty good.
The English dub is actually quite funny and fits the characters to a tee, for the most part. BoBoBo and Beauty are the standouts of the dub cast. Smile
Kosaka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
For what it's worth, apparently subtitles were available for episodes 5-8 when Illumitoon released their 2nd DVD of Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo.

Shelf Life - Anime, Anime, Anime - by Bamboo Dong, Jun 18th 2007;
Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo DVD 2:
animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2007-06-18#bo
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Well that's a new one.. Japanese audio with no subtitles.

So.. no sub (literally) , no buy.
NJ_

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:48 am Reply with quote
Kosaka wrote:
For what it's worth, apparently subtitles were available for episodes 5-8 when Illumitoon released their 2nd DVD of Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo.

Shelf Life - Anime, Anime, Anime - by Bamboo Dong, Jun 18th 2007;
Bobobo-Bo Bo-Bobo DVD 2:
animenewsnetwork.com/shelf-life/2007-06-18#bo

They also did a replacement program for volume 1 which fixed one problem (actual subs instead of dubtitles) but caused another (using DVD-R discs).

http://www.mania.com/aodvb/showthread.php?t=72193
Dark Absol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:50 am Reply with quote
Wow...I am deaf, so I'm glad I didn't buy this since I was never interested in this series to begin with.

If S'More Ent. has no intention of including subtitles (future anime series) into DVDs/BDs, I'll add this company on 'Must Not Buy' List including Shout! Factory and Echo Bridge Home Ent. (you know that I need subs to understand the plot since I can't hear anything). :/

EDIT: Posted late by 2 minutes above...
BigOnAnime
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
I still don't find this a legit reason as to why they couldn't add subtitles. It's not like it costs OVER $9,000 to sub a single episode. As PurpleWarrior said, DVD sales aren't THAT low.

I'm worried for those wanting Galaxy Express 999 now.

Anyway, the lack of subs, and the 10 episodes per disc are pretty much the only cons. While it's dubbed-only unfortunately (It's not 2002 S'More), at least they got out 38 episodes, way more than the previous distributor did before closing up shop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:02 am Reply with quote
Quote:
"The episodes were never available in a sub-titled format and neither TOEI [nor] S'more could justify the cost of creating new versions of the series. DVD sales have plummeted to the point where most companies wouldn't be willing to commit the money needed for packaging [and] authoring, but we felt the series was important enough to justify any risk."

Quote:
...we felt the series was important enough to justify any risk."

Really?

It's Bobobo.

And if it justifies any risk, why didn't they spend the money on a subtitle track?
V1046-R

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Funny excuse, because I am thinking their DVD sales will be even lower now. Laughing
jrnemanich

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
I received a long form response via email to my question concerning the lack of subtitles. Here it is in full.

Quote:
Good evening,
It appears there are some issues and confusion over the fact the packaging on “Bobobo…”alluded to the fact the episodes were viewable in English or Japanese with English sub-titles. This was an error on our part that wasn’t caught by anyone here and more importantly, not caught by anyone at TOEI who went over the package design with a fine tooth comb. The episodes can be watched in either Japanese or English language only but rest assured, there was no intent on our or TOEI’s part to mislead the fans.

All 70 plus episodes of the series were never available in a sub-titled format (I understand a small number of episodes were sub-titled in a previous DVD release) and neither TOEI or S’more could justify the cost of creating new, sub-titled versions of the series. DVD sales have plummeted to the point where most companies wouldn’t be willing to commit the money needed for packaging and authoring but we felt the series was important (and fun) enough to justify the risk.

I’ve dealt with serious fans before, starting with The Monkees, MST3K, Transformers and Battle of the Planets so I understand (and respect) their attention to details. It wasn’t our intention to mislead anyone and I’m hopeful that you and other fans will embrace the series as presented and appreciate the effort that went in to creating these packages.

The thing is, in PR statements to here at ANN and other places, it always states that it would have subtitles. Even on Amazon it states that it has subtitled. The company would have needed to contact Amazon to set up what information they would want to give and someone gave out that it would be subtitled.
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:24 am Reply with quote
Except their release of Battle of the Planets sucked, too.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 am Reply with quote
The only question now is whether they are liars or simply woefully incompetent.
Emerje

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
Quote:
"The episodes were never available in a sub-titled format and neither TOEI [nor] S'more could justify the cost of creating new versions of the series. DVD sales have plummeted to the point where most companies wouldn't be willing to commit the money needed for packaging [and] authoring, but we felt the series was important enough to justify any risk."

Quote:
...we felt the series was important enough to justify any risk."

Really?

It's Bobobo.

And if it justifies any risk, why didn't they spend the money on a subtitle track?

I had to read it twice, but then I realized what they meant was that it was worth the risk of NOT including subtitles.

It's the craziest thing to cut costs on for an anime, why even bother with a Japanese track in the first place? At least the English dub is good. Whenever I watch Naruto Shippuden I read Killer Bee's lines with Bobobo's voice in mind. Richard Epcar already plays bit parts in the series, it would be a perfect steady role for him. Too bad they've already chosen a first time anime voice actor for the role. Sad

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:14 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
The only question now is whether they are liars or simply woefully incompetent.

would you buy anything from them in either case? I know I won't be
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4