• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Eureka Seven AO BD to Have English Subs in Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ichigo77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I like this idea but I feel as if it could put some american anime companies out of business. If someone only watches subs then they will only buy these and have no need for the official english release. At the same time though it could make bringing the series over here easier because instead of having to sells rights and all the japanese companies can just put subs on the blu ray.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
I can see some people angrily shaking their fists at Bandai Visual for doing this.

But, hey...$/episode it's one of the cheapest releases on the market for a new title (especially after discounts from retailers). That's a plus at least.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
not to surprised by this bandai of america is all but dead on physical media for them. Still being a sub-company of bandai of japan there isn't a chance of if it getting licensed from any else with out paying a huge curve fee... bandai is not an easy company to reason with.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Well this means no license and no simulcast now.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:

also with japan's recent or huge crack down on anime piracy/uploads it will be risky to upload this for even fan-subs. I wouldn't rule out a simulcast yet bandai is still around in america so maybe they can work out deal with crunchy roll
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
Zilan wrote:

also with japan's recent or huge crack down on anime piracy/uploads it will be risky to upload this for even fan-subs. I wouldn't rule out a simulcast yet bandai is still around in america so maybe they can work out deal with crunchy roll

Lol, what crack down? Raws still shows up online a few hours after a show airs, that's never going to quit happening. They're so easy to get if you know where to look.

Bandai is dead. Why wasn't Gundam Age simulcast? It's getting the same treatment as well, no license, no simulcast, BD's in JP have subtitles.

The only way to watch Eureka Seven AO will be through fansubs or paying 100 dollar's for 2 episode blu-ray volumes.
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:10 am Reply with quote
Bandai Visual is like Kadokawa. They're very protective/anal with their properties, they don't care about foreigners. Unless the licensee is shelling out tons of cash, they don't give a shit.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Zilan wrote:

Lol, what crack down? Raws still shows up online a few hours after a show airs, that's never going to quit happening. They're so easy to get if you know where to look.

Bandai is dead. Why wasn't Gundam Age simulcast? It's getting the same treatment as well, no license, no simulcast, BD's in JP have subtitles.

The only way to watch Eureka Seven AO will be through fansubs or paying 100 dollar's for 2 episode blu-ray volumes.

this crack down here with other related articles, why the hell don't you think the strike witches movie hasn't been uploaded yet? Japan figures it can't touch us so stop it at it's source.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/04/10-1/man-arrested-for-uploading-toaru-majutsu-no-index-ii-resident-evil-4
Zilan

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Zilan wrote:
Zilan wrote:

this crack down here with other related articles, why the hell don't you think the strike witches movie hasn't been uploaded yet? Japan figures it can't touch us so stop it at it's source.

http://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-news/2012/04/10-1/man-arrested-for-uploading-toaru-majutsu-no-index-ii-resident-evil-4

Because no one cares about a shitty cam rip? Also they've been cracking down on people like that for years. It hasn't stopped the TV cappers.
reanimator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:32 am Reply with quote
It's all about economy, folks.

Bandai Japan is not interested in licensing titles where they put a lot of investment into. Eureka Seven franchise happens to be one of them.

When they pulled plug off from their US operation, Bandai Entertainment, it shows that they want to make seriously large sum of money from collectors rather than making pennies from cheap BD/DVDs.

They realized that making few thousand dollars on one DVD title isn't enough to cover costs associated with production, marketing, and overhead. Bandai Entertainment was selling DVD's for cheap, but their cheap price still couldn't keep them afloat at shrinking DVD market.

Vast majority of fans here watch anime from stream and downloads. Most of them don't buy physical media even though they're lot cheaper than Japanese counterparts. Bandai Japan knows that they're not going to make serious money through cheap BD/DVD. So, it's not worth their time to make few thousand dollars licensing their major franchise and trying upkeep US branch which is not making money. They want to sell directly to collectors since casual fans will watch the show via stream and downloads.

For Japan, they only need sell 4,000~6,000 units of $500 DVDs to cover show's production cost ($2 million~$3 million). Our side need to sell 40,000~60,000 units to match the production cost. Seriously, how many anime DVDs in the US actually reached 10,000 unit mark?
Majin Tenshi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Excellent news to have more shows getting English sub with their Japanese release. I didn't watch the show yet so i can't say if i am going for it or not. The first Eureka series was ok for me so i am willing to give this one a chance.

Sigh ! if only the Zeta Gundam Movies and Saint Seiya Omega would have sub as well Crying or Very sad
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
reanimator wrote:
It's all about economy, folks.

Bandai Japan is not interested in licensing titles where they put a lot of investment into. Eureka Seven franchise happens to be one of them.

So the distinction here is that they did not put "a lot of investment" into Tiger and Bunny but did into Eureka Seven?

Note the distinction between the BD release and the DVD release: the BD release lists an English subtitle, the DVD does not. Since the US and Japan are in the same BD region, it might be that they are disinclined to license a BD release in particular, preferring the direct export model for that.

Quote:
When they pulled plug off from their US operation, Bandai Entertainment, it shows that they want to make seriously large sum of money from collectors rather than making pennies from cheap BD/DVDs.

This BD is listed at Yen5,250, which is $63 at today's exchange rate at a 3% transaction charge.

Quote:
They realized that making few thousand dollars on one DVD title isn't enough to cover costs associated with production, marketing, and overhead. Bandai Entertainment was selling DVD's for cheap, but their cheap price still couldn't keep them afloat at shrinking DVD market.

Or else they realized that the money available from a US distributor with a primary focus on Bandai based output was too small to sustain a viable business, so it made more sense to shut down Bandai Ent. except as a licensing operation, to divide their titles between those licenses to R1 distributors with a broad enough product line to be viable, and those to be direct exported.

Quote:
... Bandai Japan knows that they're not going to make serious money through cheap BD/DVD. So, it's not worth their time to make few thousand dollars licensing their major franchise and trying upkeep US branch which is not making money. ...

This is oversimplifying.

Quote:
For Japan, they only need sell 4,000~6,000 units of $500 DVDs to cover show's production cost ($2 million~$3 million). ...

So how many $63 BD's do they need to sell? If its 6 volumes, that's $380 from a collector buying the complete set. If net revenue is 55% of gross sales, they are making about $200 from someone collecting the set.

The DVD's are Yen3,675, or about $45. That would be about $150 net revenue from a set of 6 volumes at about 55% net revenue. If they sell at a ratio of 3:2, that's an average of $180 per set.

A production cost of $2m to $3m would be roughly 6,500-10,000 BDs and 4,500-6,500 DVDs per volume. So, yeah, they only need to sell 4,000-6,000 units per volume of DVDs, if they are also selling BD's at a 50% higher rate.
superdry

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:54 pm Reply with quote
Do realize only the first disc is cheaper at 5250 yen for the limited edition BD. The rest of the series cost 7350 yen MSRP for the limited edition BDs.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:36 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... well I guess its good to know I can import if nobody stateside picks this title up.

Still kinda hoping Funi or Sentai one might get it though.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:22 pm Reply with quote
Majin Tenshi wrote:

Sigh ! if only the Zeta Gundam Movies and Saint Seiya Omega would have sub as well Crying or Very sad

Didn't BV confirm that the Z Gundam box coming on May 25th is to have English subtitles??
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6