• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Puella Magi Madoka Magica Vol. 2 Blu-Ray

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm gonna retitle this thread "help a guy figure out why he has a robot heart and does not understand this human "empathy"
Otaking09

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
What do you want, us to write up our entire life histories since birth to explain how experiences brought us to the point where we can enjoy Madoka so you can see where the disconnect with your situation is?

Remember that link I sent you of my friends review? He organized his reasons for his displeasure (you can disagree with his hows and whys) with data from the show. He categorizes everything into mass spoiler columns because he knows the show's craze. All I want(ed) was for people do defend their opinions with analytical reasoning. That's all. That's why this was directed at Zac first; he did do that, and the only other person who did that was Juno016 and fencedude's take on the spoilers = the most help I got.
Can you do this? Because I will stop now if you can't.

Quote:
Because other people aren't you. SATSQ

Quote:
I'm gonna retitle this thread "help a guy figure out why he has a robot heart and does not understand this human "empathy"

.....what do you want from me?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Threads like these are why I enjoy the show and the actively ignore the fanbase and the detractors. Zac could have said anything in his review and people would still take it as a time to attack and lambast others for not perfectly agreeing with their perception of the show. Madoka gives people too intense emotions, and while we should want to call that a good thing, it's not.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:29 pm Reply with quote
Hey, at least Otaking is playing by the rules now. Perhaps now we can have a more... leisurely discussion. Very Happy

Otaking09 wrote:
All I want(ed) was for people do defend their opinions with analytical reasoning.

Of course, ignorance still surprises me, but I suppose you could use a break. After all, it's not everyday you stir an entire fanbase, give paradoxical reasonings, and then get backed into a corner by everyone including the admin himself.

Ah, life. Never know what'll happen next. Anime catgrin

Last edited by KentaMaeba on Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Remember that link I sent you of my friends review? He organized his reasons for his displeasure (you can disagree with his hows and whys) with data from the show.

That rant makes a bunch of silly unwarranted comparisons (implying that the compared-to things somehow invalidate Madoka), exhibits a critical lack of understanding about multiple plot points, tries to apply real world logic to a piece of fiction about magic (and implies that its failure to adhere to real world logic is a flaw), and points out things about the show he disliked, but didn't explain why he disliked them besides "it's stupid" or "it's shock value" or some other form of "I didn't like it."

That doesn't explain why he disliked the show (this is important since you're asking us why we liked those elements), it merely lists the things he disliked (in the same way some things people like about Madoka have already been touched on to an extent in this thread). Seriously, it reads like "I'm frustrated because I didn't understand the show and rather than try to understand it I'm just gonna be mad." Again, stop asking us to take it seriously.

Want me to go through the show and categorize every little thing that happens to explain why I liked it? Too bad. You're not worth it.

Quote:
Can you do this?

I don't need to because other people have already said plenty that I would just be repeating.

Quote:
Because I will stop now if you can't.

By all means, do.

Zac wrote:
Do it. Do eeeeeeeet.

Last edited by Veers on Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Wait, they made a magical girl show about Mitt Romney?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

Veers wrote:
Too bad. You're not worth it.

Now that's just plain mean. D:

walw6pk4Alo wrote:
Threads like these are why I enjoy the show and the actively ignore the fanbase and the detractors. Zac could have said anything in his review and people would still take it as a time to attack and lambast others for not perfectly agreeing with their perception of the show. Madoka gives people too intense emotions, and while we should want to call that a good thing, it's not.

I dunno. The fact that these kinds of discussions can be had means that there's a great amount of things to be said about the series. It definitely brings about some pretty intense attacking and defending within the debates, but if you know where to look, you can find some really intriguing and valuable stuff being discussed by the fans. To me, that makes it worth it overall.
Besides, I believe the series is amazing, but it's always a good slap back to reality to see others, who reacted extremely differently to the show, point out what they believe were its flaws. Extreme opinions, good or bad, truth or not, ignorant or well-informed--every opinion should be taken into consideration when trying to figure out what works and what doesn't work for everyone in a series.
KentaMaeba

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:

For what it's worth, Otaking sort of had it coming. He should be lucky he won't end up like dtm42.

Quote:
I dunno. The fact that these kinds of discussions can be had means that there's a great amount of things to be said about the series. It definitely brings about some pretty intense attacking and defending within the debates, but if you know where to look, you can find some really intriguing and valuable stuff being discussed by the fans. To me, that makes it worth it overall.
Besides, I believe the series is amazing, but it's always a good slap back to reality to see others, who reacted extremely differently to the show, point out what they believe were its flaws. Extreme opinions, good or bad, truth or not, ignorant or well-informed--every opinion should be taken into consideration when trying to figure out what works and what doesn't work for everyone in a series.

This. Exactly. To have an intense discussion like this just goes to show how amazing this series can be. Maybe you don't agree Otaking, and that's ok. But you can't rule out that we all have good reasons for liking this anime. Even if you have valid reasons for not liking Madoka, you can't accuse it of being pretentious, nor can you force those accusations upon others.

But, like I said before, you're playing by the rules now. Who gives a damn about what I say anyways? Laughing
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
One aspect of this show that doesn't seem to get discussed much (forgive me if it has I just haven't seen the relevant posts) is the interesting situation of Madoka's mom and father. Her mom seems to be some kind of bigwig and her dad looks like a stay-at-home parent. Is this pretty much a first for anime? I don't think I've ever run across that before.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
One aspect of this show that doesn't seem to get discussed much (forgive me if it has I just haven't seen the relevant posts) is the interesting situation of Madoka's mom and father. Her mom seems to be some kind of bigwig and her dad looks like a stay-at-home parent. Is this pretty much a first for anime? I don't think I've ever run across that before.

Off the top of my head, I know that Yoshimori's father in Kekkaishi took on the more domestic role (while his mom went out monster hunting). I believe the main character of Maison Ikkoku became the stay at home dad after being married as well
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

Thats more because "lol parents in anime"

Not entirely unheard of though, but uncommon for sure.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:42 pm Reply with quote
Definitely one of the things I'll be looking out for in my re-watch is what significance, if any, this unusual Japanese parental situation has for the series as a whole beyond its novelty value. I remember that Madoka and her mom had a few nice moments together.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:43 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Definitely one of the things I'll be looking out for in my re-watch is what significance, if any, this unusual Japanese parental situation has for the series as a whole beyond its novelty value. I remember that Madoka and her mom had a few nice moments together.

Madoka is very much her mother's daughter.
Juno016

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I shall jump at this bait! You have good eyes.

Urobuchi talked about this particular aspect himself. He wanted to have the main character's family be a similar driving force as other magical girl protagonists have had in the past... but he didn't want it to be conventional. He said he thought it would be "fun" to switch the gender roles of Madoka's parents. But then he got so into Junko (Madoka's mother) that she ended up becoming his favorite character from the entire series in the end. He even developed her complete backstory, including how she grew up, how her and Tomohisa (Madoka's father) met and fell in love, and how the past relationship between Junko and Kazuko (Madoka's teacher) played out. Some of that backstory was also added to the PSP game's multiple scenarios you can find during the story--well, Junko, Tomohisa, and Kazuko explain these these backstories to the main characters they talk to--usually Madoka or Homura. This information somewhat influences these characters' later actions or how they view Madoka as a person. =)
Veers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

I'm not trying to be mean, just saying why I haven't done what he's asking for (that's what this whole thing is about, right--the whys?). It's not worth my time to go out of my way to write up what he wants just for the benefit of one picky, obtuse person, that's all. If he were, like, my best friend or something, or if I made a living writing anime reviews, then sure I'd mount the requested defense, but a stranger on the internet upset that he can't understand the merit others see in something? Nope.

I mean, I pretty much feel the same way about Katanagatari that Otaking does about Madoka (that is, I thought it was poorly executed and I can't really get why people like it), but you don't see me shitting up all the discussions about that show.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 16 of 25