• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Akira's Otomo Comments on State of Anime Industry

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:26 pm Reply with quote
Oh look, another old anime person who is no longer relevant saying the anime industry isn't in good shape. I'm sure he's just mad that people don't care about his type of anime anymore.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Yes, how dare he try to actually make good stories and works with actual artistic merit rather than moeshit after moeshit Rolling Eyes.

Sheesh, anime is an ART style. About damn time people actually started making ART in it.

Quote:
I'm sure he's just mad that people don't care about his type of anime anymore.

Yeah, he's annoyed because back in his day, it took a little thing called "good writing and giving a shit about what you do" to succeed. Not so much anymore.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:49 pm Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Oh look, another old anime person who is no longer relevant saying the anime industry isn't in good shape. I'm sure he's just mad that people don't care about his type of anime anymore.

I don't know if you noticed, but Mr. Otomo's comments do not refer in any way whatsoever to creative differences between himself and any contemporary anime industry workers. His comments were purely economical in nature. He was talking about the state of anime in terms of how much money studios have to put into their productions and into cinema distribution. No one in the anime industry disagrees that there's less money in the industry than they'd like.

So please, don't be disrespectful to living legends who helped make anime what it is today, and if you must be disrespectful to them, actually read what they have to say first.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

It seems like you're saying this just to be a giant ass.

If you are that qualifies as trolling and I'm more than happy to boot you out of here. Otherwise you can tone it down.
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:

How incredibly obnoxious. Did you even read what he said?
DragonSyde

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:

It seems like you're saying this just to be a giant ass.

If you are that qualifies as trolling and I'm more than happy to boot you out of here. Otherwise you can tone it down.

Tell that to Chagen46. He's always being a troll here, I see it everyday from him and I'm sick and tired of it.
Momokochan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:19 am Reply with quote
This is the first time ever I actually kinda agree with Ryan lol.
Otomo may not be "complaining" but he does sound very very pessimistic, many veteran artist that express their thoughts on the subject do kind of say "welp the anime industry is in the brick of death!" but I do not think it's particular of the anime industry even the cinema industry is not in the best shape ever, but really is just about the global economy, and the 90's were too hardcore. This problem has been going from the early 00's really. Maybe in the 80s--90's it was easy for most series to get a 42, 52, or even 200 episode run while most series nowadays last just 12 on average. But on the other side we do have more releases.
And let's be honest, the 80's-90's were not sacred either, we look at them with nostalgia, but there were a lot of brainless shows too back then. The 90's had harems, the 00's have moe.

Today, the shows don't have a long run, but they do have a lot of more liberties and more variety. Also Not all Moe is bad, and not all have a brainless plot, just like not all harems had a bad plot, and in all honesty, there isn't enough talented people in the world to make each show a special little flower.

The industry changes and that's that.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:27 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, see? When anime "greats" that represent purity and accessibility of animation to the masses are criticized, their followers of anime "yesteryear" get their panties in a bunch. This is exactly what I think either you, Fencedude or someone else predicted would happen when the tables were turned and we did exactly the thing that Zac-supporters were lauding him for.

RyanSaotome, I like the way you think, keep it up Very Happy

Last edited by P€|\||§_|\/|ast@ on Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:33 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
I hope Otomo isn't comparing the current state to the MONEY-INFUSED LATE 80s. But I think he's also wrong on the other level, movie production looks like it's up more than ever, things that would have been OVA series are instead going to the cinema as movie serials, like Berserk, Break Blade, Kara no Kyoukai, Mardock Scramble, and several others. Maybe they don't have the same budget that AKIRA or Steamboy had, but then again, what anime does?

There's a few interesting films coming up I want to see, Patema Inverted being one I'm looking forward to very much.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:43 am Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Ha ha, see? When anime "greats" that represent purity and accessibility of animation to the masses are criticized, their followers of anime "yesteryear" get their panties in a bunch. This is exactly what I think either you, Fencedude or someone else predicted would happen when the tables were turned and we did exactly the thing that Zac-supporters were lauding him for.

RyanSaotome, I like the way you think, keep it up Very Happy

What the heck are you talking about?

Purity? Accessibility of Animation?

Don't make me laugh.

I could tell that you didn't read the article.

From the Article wrote:

I don't think the Japanese anime industry is in a particularly good state now. You have to take last year's earthquake into consideration. The proper budgets needed to bring animation to cinemas just aren't available at the moment. More time needs to pass, or perhaps collaboration with animation houses overseas is the answer. I can't see it happening yet. I think we need some more time.

In retrospect, The Anime INDUSTRY is that- A business. No matter how much you deny it. It still costs money. Due to the earthquake/tsunami, while things are not popping up in the news like last year, that doesn't mean they're not having problems.

Oh goodness I really hope you didn't mean any of what you just said.
ninjaclown

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
Tyger is right, anime is a business and there is no point debating its "purity" or old vs modern and which is better because those arguments go in endless circles. In the end, the industry will do what is financially and economically best for itself.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
What the heck are you talking about?

Might want to take a peek at a pretty dedicated Akira / Otomo fansite http://www.akira2019.com
Quote:
"Akira" may be the most accessible and intriguing Japanese Manga translation that has appeared in the West. Although the story is similar in many ways to the animated film of the same name, it goes into greater depth than a movie can, spending time exploring not just the characters, but the ramifications of their actions on themselves and the world around them.

Purity? Accessibility of Animation?
Maybe I should have said what I really meant: Overrated and all washed up.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:06 am Reply with quote
DragonSyde wrote:
Tell that to Chagen46. He's always being a troll here, I see it everyday from him and I'm sick and tired of it.

No surprise. Even TVTropes, wretched hive of scum and villiany, banned him spoiler[for pedophilia. Shocked ]
superdry

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The proper budgets needed to bring animation to cinemas just aren't available at the moment.

So, he wants to see more anime shown in theaters, but the money isn't there for a movie style production. Okay...I can see that even though there have been a lot more anime movies lately.

Does he want to see a shift from late-night TV to showing a movie or using movies to showcase original works? I dunno.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
Ojamajo LimePie wrote:
DragonSyde wrote:

No surprise. Even TVTropes, wretched hive of scum and villiany, banned him spoiler[for pedophilia. Shocked ]
That just reminds me why I don't go there anymore: any group the admin doesn't like has to hold their tongue, even if they're less "dickish" about it than the Vandal-in-Chief about... anything. But enough about that tangent.

Even if Mr. Otomo had moe in mind when making the comment, it's pretty irrefutable that action series need higher budgets, so he'd be trying to imply the moe craze is substantially fueled by budget problems. It's also possible it was just an innocent commentary, divorced from his feelings about current trends.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5