• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Masahiko Nakahira

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragon695

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, you have a typo:
Quote:
There's a problem with though:

No real comments, other than I really enjoyed reading it. It brings back fond memories of being younger! Smile

I know this is unrelated and you're a manga man, but have you checked out the new anime comedy loosely (and boy do I ever mean it) based on Lovecraft mythos? I assume you are a bit of a fan of his, having written a book about it.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
Also worth noting, I think, is his handling of Sagat all the way through Ryu Final - a seemingly straightforward to the point of being dull fighter who has ended up being one of the franchise's most interesting characters. Nakahira really gets him.

I'm real curious about Hakaima Sadamitsu, but seeing as how there's no indication anyone will be touching that any time soon I guess curious is what I'm gonna stay. ._.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
I think Nakahira also drew a The King of Fighters manga named King of Fighters: Kyo. It was only three volume long, and focused on Kyo Kusanagi's life following KOF '95.
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:00 am Reply with quote
That was Masato Natsumoto actually, although seeing as how they're both guys with M N names who illustrated fighting game manga, did something for Gamest at one point or other, and have a few similar stylistic preferences, I can see how the two could get mixed up.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:20 am Reply with quote
Kicksville wrote:
I'm real curious about Hakaima Sadamitsu, but seeing as how there's no indication anyone will be touching that any time soon I guess curious is what I'm gonna stay. ._.

Actually, Media Blasters released the anime adaptation over here under the name Sadamitsu the Destroyer. At only 11 episodes it's short but oh so sweet. But I do agree that it's unlikely anyone will do the manga, since it ran in Ultra Jump and therefore is only available to Viz & Dark Horse.

I actually never read any of Nakahira's Street Fighter works, but my friends do have his mangas and they really enjoyed reading them... Maybe I should borrow them sometime. Outside of those Street Fighter mangas, the most I knew of Gamest magazine was that they hired Masami Kurumada to do a Samurai Shodown manga, but the most that ever came from it were artwork Kurumada made of Haohmaru, Nakoruru, Charlotte, & Galford... Which Kurumada still shows off in his 1996 artbook, Burning Blood, as well as his website to this day.

And there are other good game-based mangas, though admittedly the ones based on fighting games are harder to do in general.
thenix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:42 am Reply with quote
I'm starting to get into these manga based on other people's work. I usually didn't like them though because of the "spinoff factor". (Besides the pokemon manga that came out awhile ago)
Kicksville

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:47 am Reply with quote
Yeah, I have the anime, that's what got me interested in it in the first place - the extras are unusually in-depth, and some of the comments indicating the changes from the manga (like how the motorcycle is a flying platform...thing, or whatever, originally) made me wonder about the other differences. Only later I made the connection it was Nakahira who did the manga, which makes me that much more annoyed that there's been seemingly so little interest in it.

As far as fighting game manga go, I'd love to take a look at the various bizarre Fatal Fury/Garou Densetsu adaptations - namely the Bon Bon Magazine version (written by a guy who wrote for Battle Fever J with Saint Seiya-esque illustrations), an offbeat take on Fatal Fury 2 that serialized in Gamest apparently written and drawn by an American going under the name of Leo Adver (I'd love to know the story behind that), and of course Ken Ishikawa's Fatal Fury, in which Terry, Joe, Mai, and Big Bear must band together to save Andy from Geese Howard's undead demon army. Because, you know, it's by Ken Ishikawa.

...awesome as all those sound, it does make one appreciate Nakahira's particular ability to make manga that is both good and completely true to its source material.
Grzi

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
It's tatsumaki senpû kyaku, not tatsumi Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1