• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Automatic Hotlinking?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:03 am Reply with quote
A little while ago, I made a post that cited Naruto. When I submitted the post, the title Naruto was automatically hotlinked to an Amazon.ca listing. I see the same thing is happening in this post. What's this all about?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:20 am Reply with quote
It's not just you. I noticed in happening when someone mentioned Pulp Fiction in the Community forum.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:09 am Reply with quote
Not happening for me. Have you got "infolinks" switched off on your subscription page?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
Test: Naruto

I went in and de-selected the infolinks button and I'm still getting this. It's weird, because I've been posting at ANN for over three years and this is the first time I've noticed this.
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:51 am Reply with quote
I think I remember hearing about this before, and I want to say it has something to do with ad software. I'm not seeing anything, but I have adblock running (because the ads here were severely messing up my browser).
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:02 am Reply with quote
...should probably be moved to the tech/ bug section.

The regular info-links that we can turn off have two lines under the links. These are worse, as we can be fooled into thinking the poster included the link. LIke the guy in the community forum who made a joke at the expense of how unfunny Dane Cook is, his name got a link (and probably has again here) and you think the link maybe some funny video illustrating that... but it's actually an Amazon link to his merchandise.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:57 am Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
These are worse, as we can be fooled into thinking the poster included the link.

+1

I was unpleasantly surprised to see a link that I did NOT insert in my posting. I do not want people thinking that I support Amazon(dot)com* in any way, shape or form! (Jeff Bezos is hell-bent on eliminating all competition)

*I had to switch the "." with "(dot)" in order to get rid of a link to Amazon's website!
Mylene

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:13 am Reply with quote
This happened a few years back as well (I believe back then it was called Konterra ads). I haven't seen them, but I've long since changed my HOSTS file to block them. Which at least means I don't see them, although my words probably still filled with advertising links, which pisses me off today as much as it did back then.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Interesting. This seems to be the side-effect of a new referral script/service we implemented. They *DID NOT* tell us it would hotlink titles in this way (it was only supposed to affect existing links). I'm going to find out if the behavior can be modified, and if not, we will remove the script.

-t
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Thanks, tempest, I appreciate you looking into this.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I use the Ghostery plugin for Firefox which blocks stuff like this. Looking a the list of blocked items for this page suggests the service in question is probably SkimLinks.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I use the Ghostery plugin for Firefox which blocks stuff like this. Looking a the list of blocked items for this page suggests the service in question is probably SkimLinks.

That seems likely. I use NoScript and haven't seen any of these unwanted links, but do see skimresources.com among the disallowed scripts when visiting the fora.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Laughing Dude, please tell me you did NOT just use fora as the plural for forum. I have no doubt that is Latinly correct, BUT COME ON!!! Wink
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
It's removed.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1