• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Zatch Bell DVD 1

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:18 pm Reply with quote
It's Shonen Jump, huh? I didn't know that. It certainly explains a lot.

For those of you who'd prefer a toned down and/or darker feel, then I'd recommend you go watch Rozen Maiden (and I hope you never come back) It's eerily similar, and I'm beginning to think that's how Peach-Pit works.

Zac wrote:
some may recognize the voice of Zatch as the same bloke responsible for voicing Nickelodeon’s popular Jimmy Neutron character

Or, if you're a fanboy like me, you'd also say the bloke as the same woman who is the voice of America's favorite Cabbit. =^__^=
WristBandMan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:

For those of you who'd prefer a toned down and/or darker feel, then I'd recommend you go watch Rozen Maiden (and I hope you never come back) It's eerily similar, and I'm beginning to think that's how Peach-Pit works.

at first that's what i told to my friend about Rozen Maiden. Then after watching all 12 ep of Rozen Maiden, I realized that the only one that the dolls fight are Suigintou... the rest are on the same side, doing cute stuff like eating cake and watching puppet show on Tv etc Neutral
weirdofu

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:19 am Reply with quote
On a side note, Zatch Bell (Gash Bell) was actually created by one of the assistants of the mangaka who brought us dark adrenaline and emotionally over the top filled series like Ushio to Tora (which made a horrible transition to anime years back) and the currently running Karakuri Circus (or however you spell it).

The common formula, of course, is that they start simple and build to something large and emotional. I think the infectious energy is somewhat inherited from those manga series he's worked on in the past. The distorted and over the top facial expression is definitely similar.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:58 am Reply with quote
Actually, Zatch Bell is from Shonen Sunday (Detective Conan, Inuyasha, Flame of Recca), not Shonen Jump.
space clam

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quote
Is it supposed to say 'drove' near the end, or 'drive?'
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
JHawkNH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:43 am Reply with quote
So this is recomended for 10 year olds. As an adult this is one of my favorite series to watch on Saturdays. What does that say about my mental state? Laughing

On a side note, Rozen Maiden is one of my all time favorite series. The two series may seem to have similar threads in the "Battle to be the best" story. But they each take a completly different path.
Izlude

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:20 am Reply with quote
I wish an uncut release would be considered, EVERYONE must see Folgore's Chichi wo Moge dance in its glory!

Chichi wo Moge! BOIN BOIN!!!!!!!
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Well, I'll say one thing I've never seen a subtitled version of this show at all. Yet for some reason this show seems to draw me to it. It's like a very sick 'Pokemon'. But yet a person like myself who isn't crazy about dubs does like watching the dubbed version of this show because it's so sick and twisted. Now all I need is a T-shirt and I'm all set.

Now I hope that the movies get released. I want to see the 'Mechavulcan' movie. So to all you kiddies out there "please buy this show so that we can one day hopefully see the movies." Wink
cyrax777

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:27 pm Reply with quote
Izlude wrote:
I wish an uncut release would be considered, EVERYONE must see Folgore's Chichi wo Moge dance in its glory!

Chichi wo Moge! BOIN BOIN!!!!!!!

MOge Moge Moge Chichi wo moge

god I love that dance its so funny

just the whole pantamiming groping breasts and the fact thats its a number 1 hit
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Wyvern

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Zatch/Gash Bell improves quite a bit later on, as it develops a larger group of recurring characters and has them play off each other. The great thing about the series (especially the Japanese version) is that it eventually realizes that there's nothing all that special about its premise if played straight, so it turns into a comedy, with the creator apprentally daring himself to come up with increasingly weirder demons with wackier powers for Gash and Kiyomaru to fight. It still slips into seriousness sometimes, but it mostly just screws around with Shonen conventions.
CloakBass

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:39 am Reply with quote
```````````````````````

Last edited by CloakBass on Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Kiyomaro

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Kiyo never had many friends at his high school

Kiyomaro is still in junior high,not high school.
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 11:21 am Reply with quote
Pity that another great show runs the risk of never being released in an unbastardized version. The dub is infact terrible which becomes more evident as the show progresses... while who wants to watch a watered down dub anyway.
Yashouzoid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Fazz89x wrote:
Pity that another great show runs the risk of never being released in an unbastardized version. The dub is infact terrible which becomes more evident as the show progresses... while who wants to watch a watered down dub anyway.

Whee I love explaining this

Shopro said that if the edited version sells well, then they'll release an uncut version soon after. By boycotting the dub DVDs you're only hurting yourself because they won't release uncut DVDs.

God, they aren't 4Kids where they'll swear off any possibility of an uncut release. I do wish people would realize this.
Fazz89x

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Sounds great, I can spend my money and buy a completely useless DVD that I'd never want to watch in hopes that MAYBE Shopro will turn around and release something that I do. How promising and nice of them.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2