• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle Angel Alita: Last Order, Danza, Ghost in the Shell 1.5 Listed in U.S.

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nottimkai

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
I will express a certain amount of dismay that Kodansha is releasing Last Order.

I haven't been impressed with Kodansha's releases yet. At all. Maybe they're just trying to hit their stride? I have found the localizations to be sub par. Too heavy on literal translation, not enough emphasis on trying to let the text read well.

And I'm still puzzled by the Love Hina Omnibus editions, where random letters would be omitted. Once or twice, I could understand, but at least (on average) twice per page for the ENTIRE BOOK?!

I never noticed such problems with the Last Order books from Viz. For these reasons I am concerned about this transition.

Kodansha, please. Please try harder. Or tell your outsourced localization labor to try harder. Or give them more time. SOMETHING!

... He screamed to the void ... and the void didn't care.
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
nottinkai: Don't blame Kodansha. They didn't get a Shueisha editor to start shit with Kishiro on an anniversary chapter of the series and convince him to change publishers. Though considering they were able to retain the American title, maybe they'll at least hire the Viz translators to work on the series for continuity's sake. You can always e-mail 'em @ [email protected] and see if that helps.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:26 am Reply with quote
Kodansha is usually fine for the standard volumes, but I agree that their quality for the omnibus releases tend to be terrible, due to a completely lack of QA on their part.

As for their translation... I'd say it depends wholly on which translators are on the job. The Nibley twins have been doing great on Negima and Phoenix Wright.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:15 am Reply with quote
yet to buy any kodansha stuff, im just glad the series is continuing.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:12 am Reply with quote
So this means that, for the second time in recent years, we'll have more than a year's gap in between BAA:TLO volumes. Great. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So this means that, for the second time in recent years, we'll have more than a year's gap in between BAA:TLO volumes. Great. Rolling Eyes

im playing catchup with all kinds of manga so i see it as a bit of a repreive although that would be of no comfort to you lol Laughing
The Mad Manga Massacre

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
More Natsume Ono! Yaaay! Very Happy
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:56 pm Reply with quote
Hah, cool. Didn't even know anyone licensed Watashi ni xx Shinasai!. Definitely looking forward to getting it come November, and a definite plus is that it can be a Christmas present for both myself and my brother. Anime hyper
GATSU

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:25 pm Reply with quote
Key: Actually, there's a pretty big gap between volumes 16 and 17 in Japan right now, too. So you're really just "catching up", anyway.
Altorrin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:37 am Reply with quote
Yaay, Watashi ni XX Shinasai got licensed! I loved that manga but I had to stop reading it because the scanlations started getting passed from group to group to the point. It reached a point where they were getting translated from the Chinese version or something with an Engrishy translation copied from someone's Livejournal. Anime cry I'm so happy that I won't even complain about the ridiculous English title, "Missions of Love: Do [Insert Here] For Me"... okay, I have to complain about the "Missions of Love" thing. That's pretty dumb.

Ah, all the manga I read via scanlations and liked are being licensed (except Liar Game and You Told a Lie).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1