• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Phony Baloney

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Banden

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 6:58 am Reply with quote
KirbyHead wrote:
First things first: I don't think you can tell people what they "get" to have an opinion on. How it works is that people have opinions, and you decide whether they're valid to your discussion or not. You can't stop people from thinking what they think about things, or adding their two cents to the discussion.

You can go right ahead and express any opinion you want on any subject you want, as long as you're okay being taken as seriously as a global warming-denying birther young earth creationist.

Uninformed is uninformed, and if you make a habit of entering into discussions of things you haven't seen or know anything about aside from hype and your own imagination, it's going to come to light pretty quick that your two cents aren't exchangeable legal tender.
Timeenforceranubis

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
jl07045 wrote:
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
Question: If moé is a subculture word, and the subculture is what we're discussing, why does that matter at all?

Even past that, what about being a subculture word means it no longer has the right to exist?

Whay does what matter? I did not say that it has no right to exist. We're talking about language here, even if I were to think that way, it would still just be me not using that word. But the fact is that there are quite a lot of meanings floating around and a ton of conversations are one side hating on "moe" and other side saying "that's not what moe means". Even when we get down to a simple conversation and someone says: "This girl is moe". What is he actually saying? Obviously it boils down to: "I like her". But beyond that? Is she just cute, does he want to hug her, protect her, do kinky stuff with her, does he love her? And is it an attribute that the character has or simply an impression someone gets from the scene or image? Is that word used as a noun or an adjective? You've established a definition of the word so I would probably know exactly what you're trying to say the next time you use it, but what about the next guy? Does he have his own definition?

The bottom line is that I see that word needlessly complicating things. Without using it I can evade semantic detours and flame wars and talk about characters themselves or what I like about them and be sure that my conversational partner understands me well enough.

I've never had a conversation with another moé fan where we failed to understand each other because of our use of the word moé. The only time the necessity for a hard definition has come up is when I've spoken with people who are against moé, notably those who've not watched much "moé anime" to begin with.

As has been said before, the term is still evolving. The concept has been around for a long time, but it's only had a name for so long. Notice how these lengthy debates around a definition of moé never pop up in discussions made up only of moé fans (At least, as far as I've seen). I think the moé fanbase has the right idea in simply discussing the phenomenon and allowing the term to grow into its own naturally, rather than clamouring for a hard definition.

KirbyHead wrote:
First things first: I don't think you can tell people what they "get" to have an opinion on. How it works is that people have opinions, and you decide whether they're valid to your discussion or not. You can't stop people from thinking what they think about things, or adding their two cents to the discussion.

Certainly form your own opinion on whatever you want. Nobody will stop you. However, realize that an opinion formed about a show without having watched said show is just about useless in a discussion about that show.

Your opinion doesn't get to be worth something just because it's your opinion. It needs to have some actual backing behind it past "It didn't look like something I'd like, so I didn't watch it."
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:56 am Reply with quote
Anyway, we now have a definition of moe:

Kinu Mimasaka must be moe, she is the mascot on bags of moe rice.
jl07045

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:49 am Reply with quote
Timeenforceranubis wrote:
I've never had a conversation with another moé fan where we failed to understand each other because of our use of the word moé. The only time the necessity for a hard definition has come up is when I've spoken with people who are against moé, notably those who've not watched much "moé anime" to begin with.

Well, of course, you're a group of people who like similar things and have similar interests, so the meaning will usually be clear, even if you couldn't agree on a hard definition. But "moe" is a fashion word and is used by many more people than those who identify themselves as "moe fans". It takes onto itself new meanings and it's even harder to follow the evolution of "moe". If someone takes upon himself to explain to others what moe is, he's putting himself at odds with all the other meanings floating out there.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Then what is the point of having them appear and act moe then if it's not a "moe anime"? BTW to consider Asuka, and Rei as moe is a stretch too far for me.

Honestly, it can be argued that Rei and Asuka were two of the characters who were instrumental in starting the whole moe thing. Before them, there wasn't much of a market for making figurines of female characters or trying to sell a late night anime through the use of cute girls... but after Evangelion showed how successful you could sell a show by promoting its female characters, the flood gates opened.

Plus, Rei basically created the "Emotionless moe" archetype that is pretty prominent these days.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReiAyanamiExpy
The term "moe" orginally meant "a feeling of affectionate aww toward something cute, and cuddley", eg. a baby human, or kitten, puppy, rabbit, hamster, panda, etc. It was Kyo-Ani, as I saw it, that started the "moe" engine running. with Kanon, Air, and later Clannad. I guess with a bit of 20-20 hind sight we could try and back fit this to other past characters before Kanon, hell going by your, or the now excepted (but not by me) definition, Yuri and Kei from Dirty Pair would be "moe". How far can one go back? Regardless it doesn't necessarily make it so. Rolling Eyes
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:39 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
RyanSaotome wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Then what is the point of having them appear and act moe then if it's not a "moe anime"? BTW to consider Asuka, and Rei as moe is a stretch too far for me.

Honestly, it can be argued that Rei and Asuka were two of the characters who were instrumental in starting the whole moe thing. Before them, there wasn't much of a market for making figurines of female characters or trying to sell a late night anime through the use of cute girls... but after Evangelion showed how successful you could sell a show by promoting its female characters, the flood gates opened.

Plus, Rei basically created the "Emotionless moe" archetype that is pretty prominent these days.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReiAyanamiExpy
The term "moe" orginally meant "a feeling of affectionate aww toward something cute, and cuddley", eg. a baby human, or kitten, puppy, rabbit, hamster, panda, etc. It was Kyo-Ani, as I saw it, that started the "moe" engine running. with Kanon, Air, and later Clannad. I guess with a bit of 20-20 hind sight we could try and back fit this to other past characters before Kanon, hell going by your, or the now excepted (but not by me) definition, Yuri and Kei from Dirty Pair would be "moe". How far can one go back? Regardless it doesn't necessarily make it so. Rolling Eyes

http://i40.tinypic.com/35a0wpg.png

Moe was always kinda significant, it was just called by a different word in the American fanbase. Kyo Ani turned it into the juggernaut it is now, but to deny it existed is silly.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:48 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Moe was always kinda significant, it was just called by a different word in the American fanbase. Kyo Ani turned it into the juggernaut it is now,
I repeat; moe is a feeling, not a visual expression. It still doesn't make it so. If someone had said back in 1985 that Dirty Pair was moe there would have been a lot of "huh?" going on
Quote:
..... but to deny it existed is silly.
Yes it would, which is why I'm not. Wink
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
Sorry I'm posting at work so I have to do nameless quotes.
Quote:
As has been said before, the term is still evolving. The concept has been around for a long time, but it's only had a name for so long. Notice how these lengthy debates around a definition of moé never pop up in discussions made up only of moé fans (At least, as far as I've seen). I think the moé fanbase has the right idea in simply discussing the phenomenon and allowing the term to grow into its own naturally, rather than clamouring for a hard definition.

Not disagreeing with anything, I just want to add that this is a phenomenon that I've noticed that is universal in pretty much all forums. When all the participants of a thread are all on the same page and agree with each other that seems to end the thread, since you rarely see people posting a simple one liner that says "yeah well said, I agree because..." It's usually someone going "^ this" if they enthusiastically agree and that pretty much settles the thread. It seems like the only fodder in existence that keeps threads alive is when someone disagrees, needs clarification, feels the need to add info if the earlier points were lacking, trolls or the random thought to derail the thread comes up.

But yeah, moe is a pretty complex and mostly intangible thing so I don't think the discussion will ever really end, only threads that seem to keep rehashing the same thing and people are tired of talking about it for the time being.

Quote:
Anyway, we now have a definition of moe:

A specific character can't be a definition of moe. To me she's not very moe; her breasts are too big, those cleft lips effects don't always look moe to me, and her eyes have too much of a peircing look.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
As a guy studying linguistics on the side, this thread is actually somewhat fascinating as it shows the ways in which language is nebulous.

I think some people may be looking at this the wrong way. Maybe I'm looking at it the wrong way, but this is my argument: some of us are truing too hard to super-narrowly define the word "moë". Language doesn't work that way. The entire way language works (as far as i have studied; I am by no means an expert) is that it assigns words to concepts. Just look at cars--there's a massive difference between a Ford Focus and a Gumpert Apollo, but they're both considered cars because they fit under the concept of "four-wheeled autonomous vehicle designed to transport people".

"Moë" is such a concept word. Trying to define it is a lost cause; as time goes on, it WILL gain a well-defined meaning. Language doesn't need prodding from humans to work--it'll work by itself. Over time, as anime fans use "moë" to describe things, it will gain a meaning. Indeed, it's already gotten a rather defined meaning already.

It may even undergo semantic drift--I would not be surprised if "moë" merely means "cute" 20-50 years from now. Such is the way of loanwords.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Moe mow-eh adj.

1. Literally undefinable as nerds cannot agree on the true meaning of it, believing that because the word is describing a subjective emotion that means the definition of it must also be completely subjective

2. Forums gasoline
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:53 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Moe mow-eh adj.

1. Literally undefinable as nerds cannot agree on the true meaning of it, believing that because the word is describing a subjective emotion that means the definition of it must also be completely subjective

2. Forums gasoline
Beware! No Naked flames, or Open Lights.

Again Zac Smacks it for 6 into the stands. Laughing
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
Moe mow-eh adj.

2. Forums gasoline

I'm quite capable of defining moe, the fact that a certain segment (who claims to not like moe, generally) doesn't like the definition is an entirely different issue.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
Zac wrote:
Moe mow-eh adj.

2. Forums gasoline

I'm quite capable of defining moe, the fact that a certain segment (who claims to not like moe, generally) doesn't like the definition is an entirely different issue.

While I'm quite aware that This Is Fencedude's World And We're Just Living In It, the fact that every single time anyone tries to define the term at all either in an editorial piece or in the forums it turns into a 30-page tornado of arguing over who's the most right about their personal definition of moe suggests that maybe it isn't so simple as "it isn't my fault people don't universally accept my definition".

In fact the very way you worded this post would, if this thread didn't already have 7 pages of moe arguing in it, ignite an argument about the definition of moe.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
I just might regret posting this -- and if I end up igniting a flame war, then I apologize; buuut.....

Regarding the definition of moe: Isn't this what the lexicon page is for? Confused
notazaku

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:19 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
It may even undergo semantic drift--I would not be surprised if "moë" merely means "cute" 20-50 years from now. Such is the way of loanwords.

I think that's already begun to happen. Now it's not how I would define it but the word moe is pretty vague with one exception, it's almost always used in connection with something cute (most often cute anime girls). When I see someone describe a character as "moe" that character is usually "cute". Though I define moe as an emotion, whenever I see/hear the word "moe" the image of a cute anime girl pops into my head. Funny how that works.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 25