FMP: TSR (opinions on it)

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:38 am Reply with quote
Sir_Brass wrote:
HitokiriShadow wrote:
Don't forget that FMP is based on a novel series. They won't make more anime until more novels have been published and they have enough source material to work with.

The next two novels are already out in print. Dancing Merry Christmas could itself be an OVA or movie (hopefully OVA so they can get more time to fit in all the material), and COntinuing on my own is long enough to be a 13 to 24 episode series.

I didn't know that. That's good to know. If "Continuing on My Own" has that much material and FMP: TSR got good ratings, then there is probably a pretty good chance of another series.
Magebane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Although TSR was good and all... but, personally i don't think there was enough episodes...(makes me sad because FMP is the only anime series i have seen..).
one3rd

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, because I forced myself to re-watch all of FMP! and FMP? Fumoffu before starting on TSR, I hadn't seen any of TSR until yesterday. I finished today.

Throughout the whole thing, I couldn't help but think that it felt completely different from the two other series. This is to be expected, though, as TSR is much more serious. Kyoto Animation did a great job of capturing the seriousness. More night scenes, and the darker shading really enhance the atmosphere. I'm glad that the music was fairly minimal too. With every show having constant music, it makes it a bit more tense without a whole lot of it.

As far as the story goes, there weren't many surprises for me since I had already read the novel that the series is based on. It is, however, a completely different experience. Although, sometimes I wish I could have been more surprised in some places, like when spoiler[Sousuke was given the order to stop guarding Chidori.]

I must say, the "near misses" in Sousuke and Kaname's relationship are starting to get a little tiring. However, I still can't stop myself from becoming almost giddy with anticipation every time, even though I know that each of those moments will end anticilmactically. spoiler[The "haircut" episode was amazing though. I could really feel the tension between Sousuke and Kaname through the whole thing. It seemed fairly realistic. Especially when Sousuke was leaving. As anyone who has been there knows, it does't take that long for two people who are "just friends" to say, "Goodnight. I'll see you tomorrow," and part ways.] Gaaah, the near misses again! I hate them but I love them. Hopefully when (spoiler that goes beyond TSR, don't read if you don't want to know what might happen next) spoiler[Kaname is rescued from Amalgam, those near misses won't happen again. This is pure speculation though, as I'm assuming that Kaname will be rescued. I don't think the novels have gotten that far yet.]

I felt that the pacing could have been improved a bit. Maybe if they had used an episode or even half an episode less to set up spoiler[Blueno's betrayal], the rest of it could have been spread out a little better. As far as the ending goes, though, I think some people might get the idea that the physical battle is supposed to be the climax. It really isn't. The main theme of the second half of the series is really Sousuke's personal struggle, although the author did a good job of reminding us that the world isn't going to stop just because some mecha pilot is feeling depressed. I mean, this isn't End Of Eva here where the whiny pilot is in control of the whole world's fate.

Overall I think it's another great series and ADV needs to license and release it as quickly as possible.

I don't think I could write that much about a series that isn't FMP.
rkenshin21

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:23 am Reply with quote
spoiler[The fact that the testorossa brother was in the background talking to a higher up tells me there will definatly be another season. They left it open. I personally think TSR is better than the first one. I like the serious tone they put on it and how they used it all to bring out the feelings sagara was going through. This way the badguy died made sense. In a classic way. Badguy, Badguy gets killed by bad guy group. Then group is destroyed by the newly uplifted and powerful hero. Its a classic hero story come on guys. It was absolutly beutiful!!!!!!!!!!!. I can't wait for the NEXT season and see what mr. testorossa is up to. Hehe.]
one3rd

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 7:37 am Reply with quote
rkenshin21 wrote:
spoiler[The fact that the testorossa brother was in the background talking to a higher up tells me there will definatly be another season. They left it open.]

I'm going to have to disagree with you here. Remember, the anime is based on a series of novels. So, this season was left open because there actually is more story to tell, but it was the end of a specific story arc. We can't guarantee whether more will be animated or not. But, don't give up hope just yet. If there is going to be another season, expect to hear an announcment within the next year or so.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2