• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Is This RTO!?

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:14 pm Reply with quote
That Toradora! manga interests me quite a lot after reading this article.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
I've been collecting the toradora manga, and I'm really enjoying it. If only the release dates weren't so far apart!
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:10 am Reply with quote
Personally, I think a series like Bakuman would have been much better if they had not tried to shoehorn romance and love-interests into it. I mean the romance between the main characters and their love interests seems forced at times. About the only romance that even felt right was the unrequited one by the the older manga assistant, spoiler[which says a lot since he ended up more as a gag and was put on a bus rather quickly.] Unfortunately, it is shounen published in WSJ, so not having heroines or love-interests is not an option. I agree with Carlo in that I found many of the manga assistants to be very interesting and enjoyed seeing some of them becoming manga artists themselves. Too bad since, as he said, they are often relegated to brief check-ins.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:47 pm Reply with quote
The problem that I have with deciding which manga to read is that some are already anime. I loved Durarara, but I don't really think that it would be worth it to read virtually the same thing. I might, but I would need some convincing.
zensunni

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Brazzlefrazz wrote:
I've been collecting the toradora manga, and I'm really enjoying it. If only the release dates weren't so far apart!

Yes! That! Exactly!

I love the Toradora! manga almost as much as I love the anime. If the light novels were ever published here in the US, I would buy them as well. (I have read them, and in many ways, they are better than the adaptations...)

The things the manga has going for it over the anime and light novels is: art. In particular, character designs! Even the illustrator of the light novels commented in the first volume that the manga Ryuuji is much cooler looking than the original! And Taiga is absolutely radiant! It relies a bit too much on SD transformations, but the art and character designs are outstanding!
adam_omega

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
Brazzlefrazz wrote:

Toradora! comes out with a new volume each year in Japan, so we're pretty much caught up to them and have to wait on the Japanese releases once we put out book 5 (which just came out last month).
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 7:35 pm Reply with quote
It was a pleasant surprise seeing Soulless on here. I read it last week and really liked it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1