• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Your Top 10 / Worst 5 things. Why? (w/ index).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eidolone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 8:59 pm Reply with quote
My Top 5:

1. Rurouni Kenshin - particularly Legend of Kyoto chapter and Remembrance OAV, very nice character and story development, and action, Kenshin is also my all-time favorite anime character.

2. Bleach - although the series is far from over, so far, so good. Beautiful animation, great music, interesting storyline that keeps you glued to the screen, and memorable characters. I'm hoping it will end well instead of dragging on and on like some other animes(shrugs).

3. Neon Genesis Evangelion - Controversial choice here. Mediocre story coupled with great character development (not the most likable, but very memorable). Towards the end it stopped being a normal anime and drifted toward being an artistic representation of the human psyche, particularly End of Evangelion (at least that's how I see it).

4. Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu - Funniest anime series I've ever seen, kept me laughing through all the episodes. You need to watch Full Metal Panic to understand the background though

5. Gundam SEED - Wonderful gundam series IMO, I especially like the characters (again) and the music. Only shortfall is that they reused scenes too much.

Honorable Mentions:
Naruto, Inuyasha - series that started very well but went on to drag on for too long. I watched both untill about episode 120ish before I said "enough is enough".
ashado

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:04 pm Reply with quote
Top Eight

1. Gunslinger Girl - After hearing about this series on a forum I go to, I decided to check it out. I researched it on the computer and when I went away on vacation, I stopped at a Best Buy and picked up the box+volume 1 for $27. I watched it that night on my sister's laptop and fell in love. Both the music and animation really pulled me in, not to mention the dub was pretty well done. I prefer it over the sub, just because I didn't see it in Japanese originally. I just got the last DVD on Friday and I'm sad that the anime is over. Now I just need to finish collecting the manga...

2. Naruto - What to say about Naruto? I've downloaded all the episodes, although I haven't watched the last ten or so (fillers and such) and I've bought bootlegs (excuse me if my computer's getting a bit too old to handle so many episodes; on my computer, I have ep. 100-155). I've also been watching the dub. When those uncut DVDs come out, I'll be buying them. I think I would've stopped watching Naruto a long time ago, but I have never been hooked on a long-running series before, so maybe that's why. I never got into the Inuyasha fandom and even then, I started to get tired of it around episode 30 or so. Naruto, to me, has really good characters, great music, and I really do like the storyline, except for some of those fillers.

3. Fullmetal Alchemist - This anime really makes me think, which is a good thing. It's most likely what makes me like the series so much. Although, everything else about it is good as well. The characters, the music, the animation, etc. From what I've read and heard, I think this anime will make me cry at some point. I have the first tin box and the first three DVDs.

4. Samurai Champloo - I can't believe it's been almost a year since I first started watching this series. I think I started watching the fansubs in November of 2004 and finished it whenever the series finished it's run in Japan. This anime makes me laugh and it's all because of the characters, Mugen in particular. Some of the episodes are so...random and I can't help but love it.

5. Fruits Basket - One of my friends from school pretty much got me into this anime. She would talk about it and it just made me curious. I downloaded it and I'm very glad that I did Smile The fact that it revolves around the Chinese Zodiac made it even more interesting, because I'm into that type of stuff. But, really, the stories of the characters made me sad Anime cry There was some very emotional stuff. Once I get enough money (I only get it on special occaisions, because I don't work yet), I will go out and buy the box set.

6. KoiKaze - Oh boy. I don't really like the thought of incest (in a parent/child or sibling/sibling relationship; I find the cousin incest to be less revolting), but I was looking for a sweet, romantic anime, so I checked this one out. Although Koushirou's voice bugged me a bit, being very low and he mumbled a lot, I watched it and it was too sweet for me not to like. I'm a big romantic at heart and if I made a "Top Ten Romantic Anime" this would most likely be #1.

7. Air - I use one word to describe this anime: confusing. I was lost during certain parts, but in the end, it didn't make any difference. This anime still made me cry and quite frankly, it was the first one to do so. If something can make me cry, then it normally becomes one of my favorites (whether it be a movie or song or something else).

8. Trigun - I used to call this my favorite anime, but that was before I started watching other series. I still enjoy it though. I need to finish my DVD collection out, because I only have the first four DVDs. I like action anime and Trigun certainly fills out that part nicely. But, Vash also makes me laugh and he's adorable. However, there's also that dark side to the series and I think that makes it more entertaining.

I can't seem to fill in two more spots, but it's because of the other anime I've watched, I can't really pick any that could be qualified as "favorites". Some honorable mentions though could be Cowboy Bebop and Paranoia Agent. I think in the long run, CB could be added to my favorites list, but I haven't watched all the episodes consistently to make up my mind on it yet. I think I've seen all the episodes, but only when [adult swim] aired them and I'd skip an episode here or there. And for some reason, I would always catch it on a night when it's the one about the thing being in the refrigerator and just...yeah. That episodes kinda creeps me out, so maybe that's why I haven't bothered to sit down and say, "I will watch all the episodes in order." xD As for least favorites, I don't really have any. I normally research anime before I watch them.
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Problem with me is, that every anime I watch turns out to be amazing because the characters won't be there anymore, only after I've finished it. Only a couple of animes I thought were pretty terrible.

Top 8:

1. Martian Successor: Nadesico: First saw it on cartoon network in 2002 or 2003, and it was amazing. It didn't make much sense though. So, I got the series and watched it through. Except for the ending, which left you hanging (which somehow added to the emotion of the story), Nadesico was the perfect blend of story, mental characters, and comedy, and my favorite anime.

2. Samurai Champloo: Best characters in any anime I have seen. This show wasn't even story based, it was all for the characters, and the last 3 episodes are the best episodes of any anime i have seen.

3. s.CRY.ed: I don't know what about this anime that made it so good, because really, it wasn't an amazing anime. I just loved it through and through. Maybe the great character Straight Cougar or maybe the way the story evolved, because this story pulled me in from the beginning.

4. Furi Kuri: Great series, funny, wow. I didn't' expect a 6 episode OVA to be so good, but yeah, it was good. Some parts, like the manga scenes were hilarious, and the character voices were great. The last episode makes this all worth watching.

5. KGNE : Best story, haven't seen the extended ending yet. Probably the best story of any anime I have seen. The characters are very well done and it ends of pretty well, but not as great as it could have been. But, the series has a lot of high-suspense points and keeps you interested throughout.

6. Love Hina : Great characters, terrible dubbing... haven't watched the sub yet. OK story, didn't end off well, terrible OVA and Specials. The first 4 episodes are terrible. But after that, it picks up and becomes much better. The characters are well done, but the end leaves a lot hanging. The soundtrack was above average, but not the best. I liked this anime a lot, but the manga for it blows it away.

7. Rurouni Kenshin : Haven't finished it yet, so it's lower on the list. Fight scenes are very well done, I've watched up to episode 52 (end of Shishio part). The characters and theyre emotions are perfectly portrayed so far in the series. I love it.

8. Fullmetal Alchemist: Haven't finished it yet, so it's lower on the list. Great characters, and very good story, up to episode 32 of the series. I missed a bit of the beginning though.. so I'm definitely missing something about the series.

Honorable Mention: G Gundam, Yu-Yu Hakusho, Air TV

Worst: SD Gundam Force... oh my god. I watched this show, and I thought it was fine. But, compared to everything else, it's a piece of garbage. Watched the dub and it was quite bad, don't know about the sub. The characters were terribly done, and the "humor" was just garbage.

Air TV was supposed to be good, but I liked the summer special a lot better. Air didn't have much of a storyline going for it... and the characters got all screwed up.

Last edited by Bl00dHoUnD on Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2005 6:31 pm Reply with quote
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
4. Furi Kuri: Great series, funny, wow.

5. KGNE : Best story, haven't seen the extended ending yet.

7. Rurouni Kenshin : Haven't finished it yet, so it's lower on the list.

8. Fullmetal Alchemist: Haven't finished it yet, so it's lower on the list.

Worst: SD Gundam Force... oh my god. I watched this show, and I thought it was fine. But, compared to everything else, it's a piece of garbage.

None of these actually tell us anything about why you liked and disliked them. Simply saying "it was funny" or "good story" still tells us nothing, so please try elaborating a bit on these choices.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Kouji

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quote
My top five favorite anime are:

Cardcaptor Sakura: I think this has been one of the most nearly perfect anime I've ever seen. It has a perfect balance of action, romance, and character development. I like how this series doesn't waste your time with lengthy transformation sequences and "I will punish you" speeches like most other magical girl anime series do and all the characters are extremely likeable. The animation is very gorgeous and nearly flawless in its style. Some anime tend to suffer from having too many animation errors and inconsistencies in their style of animation, but the animation is practically flawless in Cardcaptor Sakura, and if there are any flaws in it, they aren't very noticeable. The musical score is also very gorgeous and very fitting for this show.

Even though the series is somewhat episodic at first, there's always either something new we can learn about the characters or new characters being introduced. Even the filler-in episodes for this show are really fun to watch. The later episodes also get a little more serious with a surprising amount of plot twists to keep you interested, and sometimes the episodes don't involve any magical girl battles at all and are more about the characters themselves than the fight scenes, but it never gets overly-dark like some anime do and it's just a real feel-good type of show that never fails to put a smile on your face.

X/1999: This is probably the polar opposite of Cardcaptor Sakura. Even though I like the cheerful happy-go-lucky type of anime like Cardcaptor Sakura, I also like the darker more serious tone that X has. I haven't seen the movie yet but I have seen the TV series and loved it. X has a lot of great characters and sometimes anime series with a cast this large can tend to forget about the other characters to focus more on the main characters, but Clamp does a good job with developing everyone even with such a large cast. The animation and music are really good too, and I just really like this type of end of the world story. It had a good ending and I was glad that the TV show actually concluded itself, unlike the manga. Even though X is a rather short anime with only 24 episodes, I still love it a lot.

Macross: This is one of my favorite mecha anime. I like how it doesn't over-dose itself with too many political themes like some mecha series tend to do. It has just the right amount of romance in it to feed the shoujo-loving side of myself and I like all the characters, including Minmay, who is actually my favorite Macross character. Even though the animation is outdated, I like the original Macross the best. It has the most fresh and unique story out of all the Macross series and it never gets old watching it no matter how many times I've seen it. I also love the other Macross series but I still haven't finished watching Macross Zero yet to comment about it.

Sailor Moon: This was one of my first experiences with anime, so it'll always be a personal favorite of mine. This was the first animated show I ever saw where the female characters were stronger than the guys and that was something about it that always appealed to me. In all the action cartoons I watched when I was growing up as a kid, I always liked the female chararacters more than the male characters, but they were always given such weak powers or if they were powerful they were rarely ever used. Sailor Moon was the first time I had ever seen an action cartoon with such powerful girls and it really interested me because at the time it was something that I thought was rather unique. The characters are all still loveable and I always feel a sense of nostalgia whenever I go back and re-watch Sailor Moon. Despite how episodic it could be at times, the plot still manages to move me even today, and I can't help but get a little teary-eyed watching the ending of the first season in the Japanese version. Even though there are a lot of anime out there that's definetly better than Sailor Moon, this series will always remain a personal favorite of mine.

Digimon:Digimon takes everything Pokemon didn't have and makes it cool. Sure, it's a heavily commercialized anime, but it's a damn good one. The characters and storyline were always engaging and I liked how every season, they always managed to do something new with the evolution, so it wasn't always the same old thing like it was with Pokemon. Digimon could also get very dark at times and I liked how it could still tell an integillent storyline even though it was clearly a kid's anime.

My least favorite anime are:

Dragonball Z: The storyline is incredibly dragging. I still remember during the Freiza Saga how they kept saying "This planet is going to blow up in five minutes!" and then it's five weeks later when it actually happens. The characters were very boring and the villians were far too two-dimensional. The only reason why the villians ever caused any destruction at all was either to destroy the universe for no reason at all or to gain immortality for no reason at all. I hate boring villians like those. I like my villians to be complex with lots of deep hidden motives and reasons behind their actions. Dragonball Z was supposed to be "the greatest action show of all time" but the "action" basically amounted to characters standing around taking a month to throw energy beams at each other while screaming at the top of their lungs, and whenever they did do any punching or kicking, it all looked like just a blur to me.

I tried watching the Japanese version to see if it was better than the dub, but it was actually worse in the Japanese version because it was even slower paced. The only thing I liked about it was that Goku was voiced by a girl in the Japanese version which I thought was very amusing because all those diehard Dragonball Z fans act like Dragonball Z is something very manly to watch and then it turns out that Goku is voiced by a girl in the original. Plus, his seiyuu was admittedly a pretty awesome seiyuu too, but that was about the only thing about Dragonball Z that I liked.

Hamtaro: I like cute anime; I really do, but Hamtaro is far too annoying to be classified as "cute." I tried watching the first episode when it was aired on Cartoon Network because I heard this show was really popular in Japan, but I just couldn't stand it. All the hamsters were exteremly annoying, especially with the way they made those little noises whenever they walked. I wouldn't have minded it so much if Hamtaro was actually cute, but I didn't see anything cute about it. I didn't get a warm, fuzzy feeling from watching it; I didn't laugh while watching it; I didn't even smile while watching it. I was constantly fighting against the urge to change the channel during the show and finally at the end of the episode, I turned the TV off and thanked someone up there that likes me that it's over. The only thing I liked about Hamtaro was the catchy ending theme song, but I never want to watch this show again for as long as I live. I like cute anime, but cute is something that Hamtaro is not.

Trigun: I tried watching the first episode of it once because I was recommended it, but I just couldn't get it into it. The only thing I liked about it were those two girls that followed Vash around because they were kind of funny, but everything else about the show was just boring to me.

Naruto: I tried watching the first episode to see what all the hype was about it, but I just couldn't get into it. The plot seemed too cliched to me and the characters were uninteresting and Naruto himself got on my nerves. I also thought the animation was really cheap and I think Naruto is probably the first anime I've ever seen where I didn't like any of the Japanese seiyuu. It was just the way they were crying in the first episode that made me want to cringe because it was so cheesy to me. I've heard that the series gets better later on, so maybe I'll give the manga a chance since manga versions tend to be better than their anime counterparts anyway (and I won't have to listen to the seiyuu, either), but there's too many other series I'm watching/reading right now to bother with it.

Shamaniac Princess: I was recommended this anime by someone who thought I would like the show because they thought it was like Cardcaptor Sakura but without the cards. Since I really liked Cardcaptor Sakura, I decided to check this show out, but when I saw it I was just so confused. They didn't set up the storyline or introduced you to the characters at all; they just threw you right into the action without any explaination as to what was going on. The characters were boring to me because I didn't know who they were and that little magical creature who was like the main heroine's magical guardian or whatever they're called really got on my nerves. I also hated the opening and ending theme songs and I just gave up on it after the first episode because it just didn't make any sense.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Bl00dHoUnD

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 7:19 pm Reply with quote
Nagisa wrote:
Bl00dHoUnD wrote:
4. Furi Kuri: Great series, funny, wow.

5. KGNE : Best story, haven't seen the extended ending yet.

7. Rurouni Kenshin : Haven't finished it yet, so it's lower on the list.

8. Fullmetal Alchemist: Haven't finished it yet, so it's lower on the list.

Worst: SD Gundam Force... oh my god. I watched this show, and I thought it was fine. But, compared to everything else, it's a piece of garbage.

None of these actually tell us anything about why you liked and disliked them. Simply saying "it was funny" or "good story" still tells us nothing, so please try elaborating a bit on these choices.

Fixed up the favorites, added more detail, not sure if it's.. top notch yet.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
excel7769

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:08 pm Reply with quote
Okay my Top 5 and they're not in any particular order...

1. Neon Genesis Evangelion... What's to elaborte about, it's well done, thought provoking, and a masterpiece of it's time.

2. Noir- I love this one as well, the art work and the fact that they don't rely on gore to show the death, just music, and some good visual clues. (My favorite is Kirika killing the man with his own sunglasses.)

3. Full Metal Panic... Fun time anime, with a good story line, eventually you really want to see Kaname and Sosuke hook up.

4. Tenchi Muyo... This is the one that got me into anime, and I think the gold standard for the harem type show.

5. Gunslinger Girl Yeah it's new, but I saw it and was simply "WOW"ed by it, the art, and the story so poingant... the last disk made me cry Sad

Now for the bottom 5 again in no particular order...

1. InuYasha... I don't like this one, due to the fact it goes on and on and on and on... now that's not gonna win me any popularity contests, but man get it over with all ready!!!

2. Technolyze... I was drawn to this one, the art is good, the characters are good, the story... not so good.

3. Ikkitousen--- You manage to take a well respected story, and turn it into that!! YUCK!!

4. Happy Lesson-- Good Concept, Poor Execution.

5. did I mention InuYasha?? End it all ready!!
biliano

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2005 9:22 pm Reply with quote
excel7769 wrote:
Did I mention InuYasha?? End it all ready!!

Inu Yasha did end! Very Happy The final episode aired in Japan on September 13, 2004.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2005 3:52 pm Reply with quote
biliano wrote:
excel7769 wrote:
Did I mention InuYasha?? End it all ready!!

Inu Yasha did end! Very Happy The final episode aired in Japan on September 13, 2004.

Yeah, it "ended" alright. And horribly, I might add. Yet another Takashi, 100+ episode anime with an open-ended ending. Rolling Eyes
hoodaman

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:43 pm Reply with quote
My top 5 list
1. Cowboy Bebop - This anime was the first thing that I watched that REALLY made me want to watch the next episode. I know that most of the eps were self contained stories, but the running theme was great. Also I could relate to Spike. In many ways he's like me. Single guy with a past love that's hard to forget, and he hates "kids and critters." The soundtrack in no way plays second fiddle to any other aspect of this anime. Beautiful stuff.

2. Serial Experiments Lain - I am a geek. I always will be. When you start talking wireless internet via the earth's electromagnetic frequency implemented into IP version 7, I want more. The series took 4 viewings to catch the full extent of what was presented but it was also made in a way that was left up to different interpretations. That takes mega talent.

3. Rurouni Kenshin (Reflections) - After watching Trust and Betrayal and the 95 ep series, what better way to end an anime than this. I Laughed, I cried (really did). The animation in this is breathtaking. Seeing Kenshin walk down the street back to Kaoru while the cherry blossoms are raining and the dramatic score was just too much. Sanosuke was a true friend to the end and in my opinion Kenshin was awe-inspiring. During the series I couldn't help but think that Kenshin is the most righteous dude ever and this reaffirmed by thoughts. A masterpiece not exceeded by anything that I have seen in the artform...except maybe the above 2 entries

4. RahXephon - Neon Genesis Evangelion done right. Crisp detail in the artwork and a very complementary musical score made this one stand out from other mecha. The characters in this series were likeable where NGE's characters were very arrogant and self-centered. The ending made loads more sense than in Eva. Everything came off better and didn't leave me feeling short-changed in anyway, rather quited satisfied.

5. Mobile Suit Gundam: 08th MS Team - If you are going to watch a Gundam series, this is it. 13 eps means you can't put an entire country's political future at stake. One sitting and you're good to go. But it is long enough to develop the characters, to present an appropriate and very REAL scenario, and garner attachement to the characters. It was a treat for me to see something in the gundam universe that I didn't have to wonder "Who's the bad guy? Is it still so and so or did they turn good or what's going on?"

My Bottom 4 list

1. Dragonball Z - I was all about some DBZ...in junior high when that was all there was. When I couldn't make a comparision to something else, DBZ was great. Until it got to cell. Then I started thinking "Not another transforming dude that wants to control the universe." I couldn't make it past the cell saga. I got bored with it. Redundancy can kill a series. In retrospect, if I had to rewatch any of it, It would only be the Vegeta saga.

2. Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket - Too short. They went in, guns blazing and then the end! Sorry if you missed that one ep in the middle where EVERYTHING happened. I do realize it was an OVA. But I also have problems with the ending. It was just bad. Just when you start to like a character...

3. Noir - Call me nit-picky but I think this anime could have been better if a couple of things had happened. First off, the whole Nightwish-sounding techno loop that they played at EXACTLY the same time in EVERY episode tended to get grating after mmm 3 eps (funny thing is, Nightwish is my favorite band). And the action sequences that were cool in the first ep in the scaffolding got very mundane towards the middle of the anime. Now, I'm not saying I hated this anime. I actually enjoyed the story and the characters and especially the end (just how I wanted it to end!) but those two details really bothered me.

4. Gunparade March - This anime was PAINFUL to watch. He just didn't get it. The whole time it's clumsy dude getting served a hard-nosed chick (that he likes, no less) on a silver platter and he screws it up every time.The mecha scenes were boring compared to much better interpretations namely RahXephon, the story seemed unispired but most of all, I don't really think I fit the demographic that this anime was aimed at. I'm not 14. That's probably the main reason why this anime didn't appeal to me.
Master Roshi

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:53 am Reply with quote
(I only know about 5 animes..... I'm sorry)
My top four ever are:

Outlaw Star: By far the best anime ever. It had good looks, comedy,action and blood. I mean sure, most animes have these but Outlaw Star took it to another level. I loved it from beginning to end. The characters were full of life and 'character' It was brill Very Happy My fave character was Gene Starwind (the main character)
Also this was the anime which got me into it and i've never looked back since!!

Tenchi Muyo/Universe: Excellent, like O.S It had good looks action and comedy and everything just flowed into another. It wasn't just Bad guy, killed, bad guy, killed Everything was great.

Big O: I really liked this (mainly because I love robots/mechs) But the way it was drawn and the colour scheme portrayed alot of emotion. The fights and storyline were engaging too!

Dragonball/Z: The only reason I love this is the action/fighting and littles bits of comedy. Most of you seem to hate this but I think it's great. The enemies looked cool and there were a few great characters in it (ie. Vegeta!!)

My worst anime is:

DBGT: It completely sucked about the only good thing about it was the SS4 Gogeta. The rest was rubbish some of it didn't even make sense....

Tenchi Tokyo: Okay so this isn't one of my WORST animes ever but I felt dissappointed after the brilliant Tenchi Muyo/Universe
hoodaman

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 12:28 pm Reply with quote
Master Roshi wrote:

DBGT: It completely sucked about the only good thing about it was the SS4 Gogeta. The rest was rubbish some of it didn't even make sense....

Judging from your list, you saw the chop shop that was the english version of GT. That was not GT. It was sad. I believe the first episode that aired on CN was the 19th ep in the original version so I could see where you would get confused. Watch a fansub all the way through (64 eps) and then delete them.
LegendVer2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 4:28 am Reply with quote
Top favorites:

RahXephon - This is what I considered to be NGE done right. It had all the same elements in mystery and complex plot, bit confusing at times, but the characters were not pussies. It didn't make me loathe half the characters like NGE did, and I actually found Ayato to be a pretty good protagonist to the story. I especially loved the overall love story between the 2 lead characters and a well paced ending: not rushed and not open-ended, with a real closure, and most importantly, it was happy and made sense (hard to come by in anime series these days)

GunGrave - I consider this to be one of the more tragic stories I've seen. It basically starts out in the middle of the story, then goes back to the beginning, builds up to where we started in ep. 1, then finishes it off beautifully. The choices that Brandon makes were very real and emotional, especially his revelation of the friendship in the last episode. I also had a bad feeling in my stomach as I saw how the friendship turned sour due to one short but significant event between the 2 main leads. I wonder what would've happened if that event never happened...

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsiuokuhen - The most beautiful thing I have ever seen, with a tragic, but inevitable, emotional plot. The animation was realistic, none of the typical big-eyed anime type art. The music was superb, ad the action scenes were intense. I hardly ever cry watching anything, but this is the only series that got me to ALMOST start dropping a tear (which I didn't).

Those are the only ones that really stood out for me. Here are the honorable mentions and why they didn't make the favorites list:

Love Hina - My first harem anime and absolutely loved it, until I read the manga which continued the story and reached an ending that never happened in the anime. I felt cheated that something so good never really resolved. Nonetheless, it had some really good laughs.

Rurouni Kenshin - Another anime tat was originally a favorite until after the Kyoto Arc and after I read the manga. After the halfway point in the series, everything went downhill with a bunch of plotless filler episodes. The manga finsihed the story in a beautiful way while the series just turned mediocre.

GTO - YET ANOTHER anime series that got knocked off the favorites due to it's better manga counterpart. The series was VERY good, up until after the Okinawa arc and the mediocre (i.e. poor) ending. While the manga continued the story and ended the manga as one of the best masterpieces, if not the best, I have ever read, the anime ending totally screwed the main character over. spoiler[In the anime, due, because Onizuka wanted the risk of being arrested after taking the heat for a student's actions, he runs from the police and travels to the US to teach, leaving all his students who still needs him behind, the teachers who need his support, and his best friend. TOTALLY out of character.]

My-Hime - Another good overall series with an excellent story and characters, but it just didn't grab me like the others. The story was one of the more easier to understand plots, while the ending was sort of to good to be true. spoiler[Like there was no real explanation on how all of a sudden, all the Hime's were back and everything just turned out fine after all the f*cked up stuff that's been going on.]

Chrno Crusade - Another good overal series, and characters that I really like. But the ending was meh. It was mixed feeling, meaning semi tragic but not realt THAT sad, but spoiler[you find out that the bad guy wins in the end...]

Least Favorites:

NGE - THE most overhyped series in the history of anime. After all the hype from my freinds, I decided to give it a shot. Turns out I hate 2/3 of the characters in there because they don't have any backbone whatsoever, whining half the time in each episode. Really got annoying. The most crappiest main protagonist ever, sulking all the time with angst just because he feels like a loser. I know some people would call that "real" since Shinji is only a mid-teen put into such a situation. But then again, most of the real people I know would just say f*ck it and either take a stand or kill themselves in that kind of situation. Plus the ended was total fan-abuse and could have easily been assimilated into the main story to make the hero more likeable if we actually saw a gradual change in him resolving his issues instead of sticking together AFTER the main plot was done.

Tenjou Tenge - One of the worst series I've seen. We were introduced to pretty likeable characters in the beginning, but 1/3 down the series, the rest was a flashback story that led up to where the series starts. That flashback could easily have been condensed to 2-3 episodes and give more airtime to the present characters. What we end up with is a short 15 minute battle (if you can even call it a battle) that somehow magically resolves all the issues, past and present, in the series.
shazotaku

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:50 am Reply with quote
Okay.....my favourite anime eh??
Top 10...
1.Full Metal Panic (all three)
Great Anime...especially Second Raid...the action is great plus it has good comedy too.In second raid the characthers gain more depth adding drama to FMP.This is all round a masterpiece and totally worth watching!!
2.Vandread
Love it because of its great battles and B-E-Autiful gals...good story too.The hero is ~_~ at first.
3.Evangelion
Has a good story and realistic too (not the EVAs) Has great gory action and quite some controversial themes...the ending for the series left me braindead for a few days but the movie repairs it all..
4.Macross Zero
Features great battles (a bit too fast actually) and shows you the beginnings of the Valkyrie....the plot is good enough to satiate me.
5.MS Igloo
Its not really anime,its fully 3D but I think its worth mentioning....the graphics are hot plus the action is good...gives us a Zeon point of view..
6.Rahxephon
Real nice anime...its kinda similar to EVA and better than it in most ways but it just doesn't make the cut due to its action sequences which are extremely short...
7.Akira 8.Venus Wars
These are the two anime which got me into anime.....really memorable...the bood old days
9.Rave
Like it just because its funny and has some great action.
10.Eureka Seven
Didn't see the whole anime yet but first impressions are good so it makes in my top 10.

Now my worst 5:
1.Naruto
I hate it!!!! From crappy drawing style to its overblown story!! I hate it!!!
2.Dragon Ball (all)
I hate it!!!! Hate it just because it exists!!
3.Shadow Skills
no comment....if I say anything more you will have to censor me....
4.Pokemon 5.Digimon
<beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep>
<beeeeep> <beeep> <beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep>!!!!!???
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 3:37 pm Reply with quote
shazotaku wrote:

Now my worst 5:
1.Naruto
I hate it!!!! From crappy drawing style to its overblown story!! I hate it!!!
2.Dragon Ball (all)
I hate it!!!! Hate it just because it exists!!
3.Shadow Skills
no comment....if I say anything more you will have to censor me....
4.Pokemon 5.Digimon
<beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep>
<beeeeep> <beeep> <beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep>!!!!!???

Wow, such a convincing arguement you have for those...have you even seen any of them?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 22 of 122