• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2012-04-25

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neocloud9

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Nice to see Avatar getting some well-deserved props. Legend of Korra has been gorgeous so far, I'd say the animation quality is on par with some of the better action anime out there.
wandering-dreamer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:08 pm Reply with quote
Is this Kiriska's last post since May starts next week? Wanted to say thank you very much for filling in and all of your comics have been great!

On topic, I know that feeling, once you actually recognize characters from a series it seems like you see them EVERYWHERE (or maybe that's just Homestuck these days).
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:02 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
(or maybe that's just Homestuck these days).

I'm told there were a, in scientific terms, metric shit ton of Homestuck cosplayers at Anime Boston this year, but since like Nina if I haven't seen it I don't recognize it, it didn't register to me. And I'll be happy to keep it that way. The more I hear about Homestuck, the less I want to ever experience it.
Kiriska

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:31 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:
Is this Kiriska's last post since May starts next week? Wanted to say thank you very much for filling in and all of your comics have been great!

On topic, I know that feeling, once you actually recognize characters from a series it seems like you see them EVERYWHERE (or maybe that's just Homestuck these days).

I actually have one more comic after this, but I'm glad you've been enjoying them! c:

Re: Homestuck, I don't even think you need to have read it at this point to recognize them. x_x Just count the grey people with candycorn-colored horns and multiply that by maybe 5 or 6 and that's how many Homestuck cosplayers you've got at the convention. It's totally scientific!
Mizuria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
I had this issue with Homestuck and Adventure Time. But yeah, just things that once you realize what they are...they're everywhere.

I've actually grown to like Homestuck though and have been reading along, but I still for the life of me (and I've tried. Heck, for New Years, there was nothing else even on except Adventure Time), can not understand it at all. I'd love to know why people like it, but it seems asking is like insulting people because nobody ever tells me (even though I'm honestly just curious! I'd love to know what I'm missing.) I do like some of the designs in it though.

Kiriska - Ironically, despite the trolls being more noticible, they aren't even introduced until Act 4 (and not prominently until Act 5) of the story (Right now, it's in Act 6 and Act 7 is supposed to be the last). The original main characters were 4 kids (+ 12 trolls + 4 more kids now + probably 12 more trolls + some of the other characters that have prominent roles that I can't think of a good way to describe + various guardians for either the kids or trolls + misc. characters thrown out) and I remember a lot of people who would start reading would be so confused (A friend introduced me and I hadn't known anything about it beforehand so I didn't have this issue) as the trolls aren't even until so much later, but that's usually what is recognized first, so just counting the trolls is only a fraction of all the Homestuck people there.
naninanino

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:58 am Reply with quote
I guess I can understand how Nina would think like that, given how I only watched The Last Airbender a few months back myself. Until then it was like air to me, something that I wasn't fully concious of until at some point it managed to gain my interest.

I'm enjoying The Legend of Korra so far too.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 8:36 am Reply with quote
You know, I'm kinda curious/worried if I'll ever see any cosplayers for that Fifty Shades of Gray series.
inuhime

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
You know, I'm kinda curious/worried if I'll ever see any cosplayers for that Fifty Shades of Gray series.

What is Fifty Shades of Gray? I keep seeing mentions about it, but all I can find when I search is that novel by E.L. James. Is it that, or something else entirely?
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
inuhime wrote:
prime_pm wrote:

What is Fifty Shades of Gray? I keep seeing mentions about it, but all I can find when I search is that novel by E.L. James. Is it that, or something else entirely?

It's erotic fiction which is driving housewives crazy and started out as a Twilight fanfic with a bunch of name changes.

Seriously.
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:23 pm Reply with quote
I think it's great that a show like "Avatar:The Last Airbender" and "The Legend of Korra" have gotten such positive reviews on this site. I hope it continues. I like the show myself. Most of the time,it deserves the praise it gets. Especially from stuff like "Anime News Nina."
Jadress

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Mizuria-

I am actually a pretty big fan of Adventure Time, which I only was introduced to a month or two ago. Personally, I like it because I think it's a very creative and surreal show and I think it's funny. The art is neat and the episodes are short and sweet, so generally they make me feel happy with how colorful, bubbly, and silly they are. But if you gave it a try and don't find it funny or appealing, me telling you why I like it probably won't change your mind. It's not for everyone, I suppose!

Also after seeing the bajillion, slightly irritating (some of them) Homestuck cosplayers at Sakuracon, I decided to check out the comic since I had never heard of it. I don't get it at all. I clicked through a great deal of the first part and couldn't get through it- just seemed really boring and didn't grab me.

Also, thanks to Kiriska for all her hard work and letting me take a break!! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Also after seeing the bajillion, slightly irritating (some of them) Homestuck cosplayers at Sakuracon, I decided to check out the comic since I had never heard of it. I don't get it at all. I clicked through a great deal of the first part and couldn't get through it- just seemed really boring and didn't grab me.

I sorta felt the same way too: but it KINDA gets better. And then it...I don't know, Homestuck is divisive. You either like it or you don't.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:53 pm Reply with quote
Mizuria wrote:

I've actually grown to like Homestuck though and have been reading along, but I still for the life of me (and I've tried. Heck, for New Years, there was nothing else even on except Adventure Time), can not understand it at all. I'd love to know why people like it, but it seems asking is like insulting people because nobody ever tells me (even though I'm honestly just curious! I'd love to know what I'm missing.) I do like some of the designs in it though.

My sister's a fan and I've only seen bits and pieces, so these are just secondhand guesses. It's completely random, which some people really like in that type of show. The characters are unique and don't fit their archetypes very much. The innuendo is everywhere, which definitely amuses some people and surprises others that there'd be so much in a kids show. It's more unique and memorable than a lot of other kids' show. The songs the characters randomly break into occasionally are insanely catchy. And lastly, fantasy seems to be popular right now and it's a good example of a completely fantasy world.
Mizuria

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Jadress wrote:
Mizuria-

I am actually a pretty big fan of Adventure Time, which I only was introduced to a month or two ago. Personally, I like it because I think it's a very creative and surreal show and I think it's funny. The art is neat and the episodes are short and sweet, so generally they make me feel happy with how colorful, bubbly, and silly they are. But if you gave it a try and don't find it funny or appealing, me telling you why I like it probably won't change your mind. It's not for everyone, I suppose!

Also, thanks to Kiriska for all her hard work and letting me take a break!! Very Happy

Yeah, I mean, I think some of the designs are nice...but I don't find it funny really. I think it may just be too random for me, is the issue. But I've tried several times as I do know a lot of people who like it! I just...I just don't care for it Anime hyper

The big thing with Homestuck is it started with readers submitting suggestions until the author felt it was going too slow and stopped that. I would say you'd have to read until the end of Act 3 (When all 4 kids are introduced and when most of the suggestions are over) to really get a good judgement on it. The end of Act 3 is actually what finally got me into it. And despite it seeming long, the story is several thousand pages now and Act's 4 and 5 are most of that ATM, so it's really not too long. One other big thing is to not skip over -anything- as everything will become important at some point.

SereneChaos - Yeah, I think it's the randomness that turns me off, essentially. Pretty much all innuendo goes over my head unless explained to me so that's not even something that crosses my mind. I just need more structure, I guess.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
wandering-dreamer wrote:

I agree. I think once you've seen a show the characters stand out more for you then before. So you notice them more. The fun thing for me has over time going back and reviewing my photos from various cons. Often I see a cosplayer and think, "damn that's a nice outfit they got there." But I have no idea who it is lol. Then later I see the show and when I go back through my photos from cons I get excited as if I'm just discovering them for the first time lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2