Forum - View topic
My issue has been resolved. You can go ahead and lock this now. Thanks.




Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 6954
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Recently, in the Answerman thread, some posters and I were told by Zac:

"Stop being dicks to eachother"

I honestly don't know what it is that I did that warranted a warning (let alone an insult). Did I call anyone any sort of name whatsoever? No. Did I insult anyone? Not unless you consider "not liking the shows other people like" to be an insult. Was I even condescending or rude to anyone? I really don't think so. I was nothing but was polite and reasonable. I wasn't even off topic. Meanwhile, I was repeatedly attacked and talked down to by the other users. I was at times even blatantly insulted and called names. I took the high road though. I didn't respond in kind. I just reported them and moved on. Yet I get called a dick just like the rest of them? (I don't object to Zac insulting people by the way. I just don't think I deserve it here.)

What I also find very frustrating is that when I ask what I did wrong in response I get no reply. Now, maybe my posts just aren't being noticed. That's why I'm posting this topic here though. I don't want to make this a bigger deal than it needs to be, get on Zac's case, or otherwise beat a dead horse. However, I do want to know. Why exactly are you telling me off? If there was some reason please tell me. Or, if it was just a mistake that's fine. Just say so and I'll drop it. As it is though, I find this all very frustrating. I feel like I'm being told: "No point in taking the high road. You might as well just act like a dick as well because you're gonna get told off either way".


Last edited by ikillchicken on Thu Apr 26, 2012 7:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Past



Joined: 14 Feb 2006
Posts: 3121
Location: Seattle bound (soon)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:28 am Reply with quote
As another poster who from time to time asks for feedback on the type of impression my own communication to the forum community gives, I expect only frank, honest replies. So that is what I will give you and try to be unbiased as possible, as blunt as what I say might seem. I'd expect it if I was the one doing the asking, so expect it coming from me. Personally, I find you overly defensive, condescending, painfully literal only when it's convenient for you, and a bit dishonest (not as importantly with others, but mostly with yourself).

Your repeated insistence that you are being polite and refraining from snap remarks can only go so far, since it's very easy to be passive-aggressive and feign politeness when in reality (and its easier to read between the lines than you think) you are being judgmental and holding a holier-than-thou attitude. You seem to only agree when it seems to line up with a rather narrow-minded view of the argument and just not simply admitting you're wrong, when people are getting frustrated with you to the point they have no choice to result to rash insults and you think you are somehow special and deserve a free pass because you have not done the same.

Sorry if I may have gone overboard with my criticisms of you but this is my honest opinion, some of the accusations may be inaccurate, but this is what I think, take it for what you will.

You and I have not had many agreeable or positive crossings in this forum in the past, and I expect you to pass off everything I've said, but I think what I've said is sincere for the most part. Perhaps the next poster will bring up some positives.

So I part with few words of wisdom from Bill and Ted, instead of being dicks to each other...
"Be Excellent to Each Other"
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 6954
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
You know, I really am not interested in creating a ready made platform for any posters who doesn't like me to air their grievances.

I was really just asking Zac and the mods for clarification.

Although, in fairness to you Past, I should have specified that before hand and I really appreciate you being polite here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9397
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:18 am Reply with quote
I make it my business to stay out of the Talkback forum as much as possible. My moderation philosophy is to be cool if you're cool and to be rude if you're rude. And I see a lot of rude people in Talkback. In fact, I see too many, so I don't even bother dealing with it unless I can just lock the darn thing to shut everyone up and make my job less complicated. But alas, Talkback has too many soapboxers, pointless bickering, and argumentations that I just don't wanna' stress myself over policing said crap.

I don't have qualms with anyone in particular on these forums except GATSU, R.G., and the newly-minted Snomaster1. And I'm sorry that you were called out. I just wanted to clarify and let you know that if someone's doing something in Talkback, I'm not the guy you should heavily rely on for eagle eye surveillance.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Blood-
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 07 Mar 2009
Posts: 14592
Location: Toronto, Canada

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:32 pm Reply with quote
Well, ikc, as you know I'm not your biggest fan, but I'll repeat what I said to you in a different thread: I have noticed a change in your posting style. You are much less inclined to go bonzai like I still unfortunately do. This instance may be frustrating to you (and I can't comment on it because I have not read all the posts in question) but I encourage you to keep up the progress and I may even be able to make the same claim too, soon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
rinmackie



Joined: 05 Aug 2006
Posts: 918
Location: in a van! down by the river!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:32 am Reply with quote
I'm here to object to the closing of my recent threads about anime/manga/American comic crossovers. I was unaware we were not allowed to discuss fanfiction. Anyway, I wasn't trying to encourage the writing of fanfiction .(Though if anyone did, that's their business.) I was just asking "what if" but apparently ANN considers that dangerous.

Anyway, the final insult was comparing me to that troll, Snomaster. I am nothing like him! His posts are stupid; I don't even bother reading them! So I am very angry and insulted! I'm seriously considering leaving this site for good; I don't think there's really anything left for me here. I can find anime news somewhere else.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Saffire



Joined: 25 Nov 2007
Posts: 870
Location: Iowa, USA

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:38 am Reply with quote
I don't think he meant to actually compare you to him, but rather your thread title looked like something he would bring up.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
Shenl742
SubscriberSubscriber


Joined: 11 Feb 2010
Posts: 1272

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
And not to be rude, but considering how often Snomaster1 did similar stuff (and the reactions from mods it brought), which he has, I really think you should've expected that such a topic probably wasn't a good idea.

Whether or not you consider a "what if" fan-fiction, it's still something that doesn't really exist, and the mods do not encourage threads entirely about speculation (which is why threads about "will series [insert name here] get another season or not?" are not allowed)

...and the thread would probably end up getting derailed by a certain poster who hates western media anyways...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Tony K.
Moderator


Joined: 18 Nov 2003
Posts: 9397
Location: Frisco, TX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:28 am Reply with quote
rinmackie wrote:
I'm here to object to the closing of my recent threads about anime/manga/American comic crossovers

I didn't mean to insult you, so apologies if I sounded like I did. But yeah, as pointed out I was just surprised by the concept of the thread as it sounds similar to what's-his-face.

I'm not saying you can't discuss crossovers (which is why I hinted at the other thread since it's technically the same kind of idea, and we've had lots of those around). I just didn't want your particular thread to serve as an excuse/gateway for you-know-who. Although, by telling you the loophole in public, now, it may very well give him ideas to get around it if he's smart enough to be reading this.

So, please. Take my advice and try to incorporate your original intention into what works with the system (*wink, wink* go post in one of those threads).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 6954
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:11 am Reply with quote
Tony K. wrote:
I make it my business to stay out of the Talkback forum as much as possible. My moderation philosophy is to be cool if you're cool and to be rude if you're rude. And I see a lot of rude people in Talkback. In fact, I see too many, so I don't even bother dealing with it unless I can just lock the darn thing to shut everyone up and make my job less complicated. But alas, Talkback has too many soapboxers, pointless bickering, and argumentations that I just don't wanna' stress myself over policing said crap.


Okay. Thanks for the reply. It is unfortunate that this is the case with the Talkback forum but I see where you're coming from. I don't blame the mods in the slightest for not really wanting to police it beyond locking topics when they get out of hand. If that's the case and the Talkback forum is just kinda no mans land then I can accept that. I'll try and keep to your rule about responding in kind in the future.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Psycho 101
Thread KillerThread Killer


Joined: 14 Aug 2006
Posts: 8485
Location: Chora's Den

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:31 am Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Tony K. wrote:
I make it my business to stay out of the Talkback forum as much as possible. My moderation philosophy is to be cool if you're cool and to be rude if you're rude. And I see a lot of rude people in Talkback. In fact, I see too many, so I don't even bother dealing with it unless I can just lock the darn thing to shut everyone up and make my job less complicated. But alas, Talkback has too many soapboxers, pointless bickering, and argumentations that I just don't wanna' stress myself over policing said crap.


Okay. Thanks for the reply. It is unfortunate that this is the case with the Talkback forum but I see where you're coming from. I don't blame the mods in the slightest for not really wanting to police it beyond locking topics when they get out of hand. If that's the case and the Talkback forum is just kinda no mans land then I can accept that. I'll try and keep to your rule about responding in kind in the future.

Just as a disclaimer I'm not picking a fight with you Ikill. I must say though people's own interpretation of whether or not they're being rude or ignorant in their own eyes can vary greatly than that of what others think and see. And let's be honest here, you are not exactly a very soft spoken or reserved poster now are you? You have also had many runs ins with mods and admins have you not? Think of it like Raffi Torres's suspension for 25 games. He got a lot of it for being a repeat offender. Well once you've set up a habit and routine people will often have a more.....strong opinion of you. Before you even say anything yes I know full well that often applies to me too. Part of why i took a nice break from ANN and forums in general truth be told. That's off topic though. The fact is you have ruffled feathers with the staff and admins before so perhaps some, like Zac, are more apt to see your perceived intentions in a more negative light and feel you are being rude, ignorant, etc when you don't think you are or intend to be. Just saying. I would also say, from personal experience, you'd probably get a better response on the matter via PM then in a thread in this section. Historically threads on this sort of subject here don't go far and have short life spans with unfavorable outcomes. Again personal experience talking.

I also think Tony does have a good point though. The Talkback section is just a wasteland often and I know from personal interactions with several mods they avoid it at all costs if they can. That section is the prime section for one liners, trolls, flame wars, jack asses, etc. It has the largest rate of posters signing up just to bitch like little girls about a subject and then disappearing into the ether. Not trying to bust your chops but you have been here long enough to know that. You should practically expect a shorter leash in that section and an increased rate of harsh posts by staff. Things there can go from civil to FUBAR in 5 minutes and 2 pages later in the blink of an eye. Anytime I ever get warned there anymore I basically just shrug it off and move on because I know 10 more trolls will take their attention off of me within a matter of hours heh. Plus Zac is Zac. If he suddenly started farting unicorns and was all happy and peppy you'd probably think, much as I would, that the end of days was coming. Laughing
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken
Space CowboySpace Cowboy


Joined: 12 Feb 2007
Posts: 6954
Location: Vancouver

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:50 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
You have also had many runs ins with mods and admins have you not?


No, not really. I've had a few run ins with the mods but I've also been here literally half a decade. On average I don't really think I have all that many issues with them. No more than half the posters on ANN. Honestly, the only mod I really didn't get along with was Abunai and he's long gone. I think I was banned like...literally once and that was right back when I first started coming here. In recent years I can't remember any serious incidents at all. A few minor telling offs here and there. That's about it. Again, not much different from half the posters on ANN.

In retrospect, I think I was probably just reading too much into this. It irked me a lot getting told off by Zac because I felt like I made one hell of an effort to not be a dick despite some people seriously asking for it. However, the talkback forum is basically a wasteland as Tony K has pointed out. I don't imagine Zac was even paying much attention to what was being said in that thread and I probably shouldn't make anything of it.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message My Anime
Key
Moderator


Joined: 03 Nov 2003
Posts: 11741
Location: Indianapolis, IN (formerly Mimiho Valley)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:11 am Reply with quote
Per thread title request, this is being locked.

And I will add that, while I don't actively avoid the Talkback forum, it generally tends to get a much higher volume across a much greater number of threads, so patrolling it is vastly more time-consuming (and, frankly, boring).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Display posts from previous:   
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group