• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Dub VS. Sub?

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which do you prefer--Dubs or Subs?
Dubs
38%
 38%  [ 173 ]
Subs
61%
 61%  [ 277 ]
Total Votes : 450

fromtheashes

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:28 pm Reply with quote
I actually used to strictly watch subtitled anime only because, as TitanXL mentioned, it's the original language. You can't really mess with the original work because you'll run the risk of losing something along the way. Something is bound to get lost in translation, the voice actor doesn't do as good of a job as the Japanese equivalent, etc. To be more simple, the Japanese do it better since it already fits.

However, recently, as a viewer, I believe that watching anime in English is actually easier than in Japanese. My opinion is really mixed. If a dub is good (in my opinion, of course), I'll watch that over the subtitled version because I'm not too into reading while watching an anime. Plus, there are some good voice acting talent in the U.S. (Vic Mignogna, Luci Christian, Wendee Lee, etc.) So if my favorite English voice actors are cast in the anime, I'll totally watch the dub. Of course, if a dub is not that good (or just plain sucks), I'll watch the sub.

So I'll vote for dub. This is because if I'll buy a DVD or rent it on Netflix, I'll watch it in English first. It's only when I feel like the bad voice acting raped my ears that I'll watch in Japanese. Anime hyper
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
I usually go for subs unless it's a series that I saw on TV and the US voices are the ones I associate with the characters.

For my tastes, I've found that dubs being...

... noticeably better are extremely rare,
... flat out terrible in comparison are extremely rare,
... decent enough/acceptable is far and away the norm,
... equally as good are rare and most of the time it's because both are equally mediocre or bad rather than both being good.
Blazaking

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
In most cases, I prefer the sub, because the dub is rarely as good as the original. There are some exceptions however, one of them being the Lucky Star dub. They definitely did a good job with that one, and it's just as great as the original (for the most part).
HitMarker!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Subs for me personally.

I have a hard time when it comes to dubs, because it can look strange having them talk in english and the words not match up to the movement of the mouth. Throws me off a bit sometimes, so preferably, subs for me.

(Although i really just enjoy the Japanese voice actors moreover tbh. Sounds a lot better and i don't have too much of a hard time reading the subs.)
EnriqueC17

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:12 am Reply with quote
Sub is always better...well mostly, because obviously it's in it's original format. Nothing wrong with dubs though, just hopefully those who worked on it are bieng faithful to the original and atleast trying but then again who will ever know.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:33 am Reply with quote
I intensely dislike either/or questions because they don't reflect subtlety. The options should be more like the following:
  • always dubs
  • mostly dubs and the occasional sub
  • mostly dubs with a healthy helping of subs
  • 50/50
  • mostly subs with a healthy helping of dubs
  • mostly subs and the occasional dub
  • always subs
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:38 pm Reply with quote
Intensely?

As the question says which do you prefer I think it's fine- and better than a nuanced choice list. I think it's safe to say everyone at least leans one way or the other and there are 8 pages of people explaining their choice to discover subtlety of opinion.

I'm surprised to find that I've never explained my thinking on my vote before. Although I've explained it elsewhere.

I'm mainly a sub guy, but I like dubs when English is the language that the characters are supposed to be speaking. My example for this is always Baccano The show is set in America, they go to great pains to create good stylized "Hollywood period" atmosphere, so it only seems appropriate to watch it with an English track and I have little desire to watch it in Japanese.

And I'd go further and say I think it'd be nice to watch a show in a setting other than Japan or an English speaking country with the language of that area. French for Le Chevalier D'eon, Spanish and Portuguese for Michiko to Hatchin, Maybe German for Monster when appropriate. I say if you're going to present a different country, present it completely accurately. Like the language choice you have for Night Raid 1931 for an English Dub, all Japanese dub, or the correct mix of Japanese and Chinese spoken when appropriate.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I guess that we will just have to agree to disagree -- viva la differance! (or something like that) Confused Me, I prefer a more granular approach whenever possible.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
I prefer to watch Dubs over Subs, and not just for the reason that I grew up watching them. From my viewpoint, I find subtitled anime to be boring to watch, since I'm watching a show that's in a language that I don't understand, and reading the subtitles at the bottom can get really tedious.
darknessblades

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
99,99-google 9's-99

i only watch dub if there is no other way
Snomaster1
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:57 pm Reply with quote
That's an easy one for me. I prefer dubs. It's easier for me to follow the plot more if it's in my own language. No knock against subs,but it's hard for me to concentrate on the plot when the anime's in Japanese and there are words on the screen. Dubs are easier for me to enjoy. They help me enjoy the plot better and the best ones are really great to listen to.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:19 pm Reply with quote
Dubs, since it's the next best option to "Both, I need my releases bilingual!"
darknessblades

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:49 pm Reply with quote
Snomaster1 wrote:
That's an easy one for me. I prefer dubs. It's easier for me to follow the plot more if it's in my own language. No knock against subs,but it's hard for me to concentrate on the plot when the anime's in Japanese and there are words on the screen. Dubs are easier for me to enjoy. They help me enjoy the plot better and the best ones are really great to listen to.

well for me dub= equal to: removing parts that you need to know to follow the story (naruto [lot of tings are removed in the dubbed ones])
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
darknessblades wrote:
Snomaster1 wrote:

well for me dub= equal to: removing parts that you need to know to follow the story (naruto [lot of tings are removed in the dubbed ones])

Isn't that only for the broadcasts? The DVDs are uncut.
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:37 pm Reply with quote
Yeah. Also since when did Naruto have a story? Razz

Yes, I know it does technically have one, I watch it, I just joke because half the time it forgets that it was supposed to have one. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 7 of 15