• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Season Preview Technical Feedback

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
I figured this would be better placed here than the current talkbalk thread.

One question I have. Would it be too hard to list and index the reviews so they go directly to the review in question? And maybe note the episode's rating on the front page?

Bob
Big Battlin Bots ep.2 - 3.5
Cute Little lolis ep. 2 - 5.0
Bishonen with Swords ep.1 - 2.0
Golf Masters! ep. 1 - 4.0
Big Battlin Bots ep.1 - 3.0
Cute Little lolis ep.1 - 1.0

The one link for all index is really quite annoying, especially for those that provide many reviews. Look for the one you think you want (who was it that trashed my show?) and then scroll through a dozen. Plus, the only way to compare ratings between reviewers is to open multiple windows or write it down yourself.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
Spastic Minnow wrote:
I figured this would be better placed here than the current talkbalk thread.

One question I have. Would it be too hard to list and index the reviews so they go directly to the review in question? And maybe note the episode's rating on the front page?

Bob
Big Battlin Bots ep.2 - 3.5
Cute Little lolis ep. 2 - 5.0
Bishonen with Swords ep.1 - 2.0
Golf Masters! ep. 1 - 4.0
Big Battlin Bots ep.1 - 3.0
Cute Little lolis ep.1 - 1.0

The one link for all index is really quite annoying, especially for those that provide many reviews. Look for the one you think you want (who was it that trashed my show?) and then scroll through a dozen. Plus, the only way to compare ratings between reviewers is to open multiple windows or write it down yourself.

Indexing on the main page would be fine if I can figure out a way to do it extremely quickly and not add a million HTML steps every time I need to simply list that a critic has reviewed a new show.

The ratings are the least important part of the preview guide. I'm not interested in making it even easier for someone to run to the forums complaining about a numerical score without having read the review itself.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The ratings are the least important part of the preview guide. I'm not interested in making it even easier for someone to run to the forums complaining about a numerical score without having read the review itself.

Yes, I definitely understand you there but there are a couple valid reasons to make the ratings easier to find. To see if there is consensus, and to find the extreme viewpoints of those that hated or loved a show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:08 pm Reply with quote
The Spring preview just went by on the marquee, and a late question occurred to me and I thought I'd pop this thread up again...

Why not index the preview by show/episode instead of reviewer? The front page could introtuce each reviewer with their bios and on each episode/show page the review by each reviewer could start with their avatar.

And I emphasize, it's a question not a critique (you get enough crap thrown your way), I can see advantages either way. One shows a reviewer's preferences (and maybe biases) by featuring all of their reviews to every show on one page, and the other emphasizes the show.

Last edited by Spastic Minnow on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 12:26 pm Reply with quote
That doesn't sound very good to me.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
Zac--

If you have the time and inclination, then may I trouble you to elaborate on your reasoning?
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
Sure.

1. Anything that adds more work to the preview guide is not an idea I will get behind. As I've already explained - any change to the format would need to be just as simple as it is now, and adding multiple different indexes to the feature will make something that already gets massively complicated as it goes along even worse. I'm not going to volunteer to make this already incredibly exhausting, all-consuming feature even worse for me.

2. I want to emphasize the critics. They put a lot of time and effort in to their previews and I don't want to marginalize them by allowing you to ignore who's saying what. The way it's organized now makes you click on their name, and on that page it's only their opinion. This way you can choose the people you like best and only read them.

Once again I have absolutely zero interest in doing anything at all that further emphasizes the numerical scores. They're there because people want them, but I refuse to change the system in any way that would organize reviews by the score or turn the preview guide into a bunch of stupid numbers that people can obsess over. We already have problems with people who come running into the forums to scream and cry about how Reviewer A gave Show I Don't Like As Much a 4 and Show I Like More a 3 and how can this be oh god you're so unprofessional and biased. I can't stand that crap and I'm not going to encourage it even a tiny little bit.

And the idea of indexing by show and pasting the reviewer's icon in front of their review so you know who wrote it sounds like a totally inelegant, ugly "solution" to a problem that does not exist.
nobahn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:39 pm Reply with quote
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to explain your point of view; I realize that yours is not an easy job.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And the idea of indexing by show and pasting the reviewer's icon in front of their review so you know who wrote it sounds like a totally inelegant, ugly "solution" to a problem that does not exist.

Well, you still put their name there too. Sorry if you thought I meant not to, I meant it as an extra identifier. It's easy to ignore a name in a list af review but if it's accompanied by an avatar it serves as a byline photo to go with the review. It's a solution to the fact that if it were show indexed the name+avatar would help put the focus back on the reviewer.

If work is a factor...
You may have to create more pages but there is one way that a show index would mean less work for you and less work for the reviewer... Each review does not have to be accompanied by a screencap. The show page could feature a couple and that's it. Or they could be placed in between reviews so you don't have to format them to have text fit around them. Seems simpler to me.

But yes, emphasizing the critics is good. I honestly don't know if I'd prefer one or the other. I do know it would be so much easier to reference a show and easier to see who said what about which show without opening multiple tabs/pages and scrolling past the shows I'm uninterested in.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:37 pm Reply with quote
Personally, I like the screencaps on the Preview Guide. It adds a bit of personality to each person's preview and reflects on how they perceive the show. And they're sometimes humorous for certain shows. I've seen a reviewer use another person's screencap, probably because they didn't feel like putting one up of their own. That doesn't seem lazy to me, just they liked the screencap and wanted to reuse it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1