• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Dead Leaves

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:17 pm Reply with quote
As far as the recall for House of Five Leaves... it was SUPER easy to fill out the online form and NISA mailed out the replacement VERY quickly. I wouldn't want anyone to not buy the set because they are worried about getting a "dud" copy. All you have to do to get the replacement is go to the NISA website and enter the code from your DVD box. Super simple. Nothing like the Bandai replacement DVDs a few years back...And the sound quality isn't THAT bad, so if you can't wait a few days for a replacement, you won't be miserable watching the "dud".
Maigraith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
So jelly, the person has the little Yako katsuragi figure<3
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I wonder if I'd use a Madoka Magica wish on something stupid like dubbing anime series like House of Five Leaves…

No, that's a waste. Five Leaves is the kind of slow, contemplative anime that works completely fine subtitled.

Wish for a dub for Tatami Galaxy instead. That'd be totally worth it.
PBsallad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:29 pm Reply with quote
The top of the page says this Shelf Life was done by Bamboo, but the writing implies it was done by Erin... Who wrote it?
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:38 pm Reply with quote
Well, those are some interesting stuff on the shelf namely:

Chobits, GTO, Lova Hina, Gunslinger Girl, Negima manga, Code Geass figures, Fruits Basket, and other figures. Clamp fan ftw.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
wanderingwilbur

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
If you like psychedelic inspired mixed-media animation watch Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei. Most of the Opening/Endings are similar also both series and Hidamari sketch are Directed by Akiyuki Shinbo.
crosswithyou

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:43 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend the AoEx manga. The anime only starts off following the manga and then goes in a completely original direction. The manga is sooooooo gooooood. Reviews of the manga by ANN staff have been quite positive as well and the English release is almost up-to-date with where the Japanese releases are.

I feel like I'm the only person who hasn't seen MadoMagi... It's been recommended to me by many and I've heard great things about it but I've just yet to get around to it. The series started re-airing on TV early last month but since I missed the first episode, I couldn't start. >_>; Oops. One day...
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
Man, I was looking at those collection pics, trying to figure out what was up with the Fruits Basket and Tsubasa books, those are Chuang-Yi manga, aren't they? I always wondered what the spines on those looked like, but I can't find a place to get them for cheap either (something like $20 a book on eBay) or I'd probably give them a shot.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
PBsallad wrote:
The top of the page says this Shelf Life was done by Bamboo, but the writing implies it was done by Erin... Who wrote it?

I wrote it... I don't see where you saw Bamboo's name, so she must've fixed it.

here-and-faraway wrote:
As far as the recall for House of Five Leaves... it was SUPER easy to fill out the online form and NISA mailed out the replacement VERY quickly.

Indeed, I filled out the form this morning and it was easy! I'll be sure to mention it in the column when the replacement discs arrive.
HannoX

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:55 pm Reply with quote
My reaction upon seeing the first witch's other dimension (the one where Madoka dreams of seeing Homura) was that the art was inspired by Salvador Dali and E.M. Escher--long predating psychedelic art and YELLOW SUBMARINE. All the witch demensions were very surrealistic.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:13 pm Reply with quote
Twice Upon a Time is WAY awesome. It's this quirky, twisted fairy tale about dreams and stuff. As I understand it, there were a couple different versions floating around. My library had a PG version on VHS, but I've since "acquired" a digital copy that was supposedly shown on HBO, which supposedly is more PG-13 or something (I haven't gotten to it yet). Anyways, highly recommended for animation buffs.
Etrien

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:11 pm Reply with quote
Erin wrote:

I wasn't that impressed with the first two episodes, but by episode three I was hooked.

Well, you pretty much just described the standard Madoka experience. Wink
Chagen46

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:46 pm Reply with quote
...Unless that guy has more Negima stashed away somewhere, I have more than he does (I have up to volume 31).

I have no idea why, but this makes me happy.
Meygaera

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
...Unless that guy has more Negima stashed away somewhere, I have more than he does (I have up to volume 31).

I have no idea why, but this makes me happy.

I always thought Serrin was a girl's name.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
Interesting to read that Erin was initially bored with House of Five Leaves when it was streaming but then liked it when she got the set. I'm in the same boat: I dropped it after three eppies (from boredom) when it was streaming, but I'm mentally committed to buying every single premium edition title that NISA puts out, so I'll be getting this eventually. Sure hope I have the same experience as Erin and end up liking it despite my first attempt.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6