• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Right Stuf to Release First 3 Hetalia Manga Volumes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
If Stu Levy is getting money for this, then I refuse to support it, even if they did get titles I wanted. I'd rather go the rest of my life without finishing Aria or Gakuen Alice than to give that flake any more of my money.

While I understand that you are unhappy with Stu, frankly, he has been helpful to us in facilitating getting this property back into circulation. We are utilizing Tokyopop's materials here, and therefore I have to get clearance from them to do so.

I hope that if you're a fan you'll support this release; we want to get the remainder of Hetalia published, as well as show that this model is worthwhile to bring titles back into print that are keeping people from being able to enjoy the series that they enjoy. Nothing sucks more (for the fans and for us as a retailer) to be told that an item is not currently scheduled for a reprint and may never be reprinted. If, and usually this is the case, it's smack in the middle of the series, why would anyone pick up volumes around it? This is our concept - how do we get volumes of titles back into print, as well as get the fans what they want - the completion of those series they have been enjoying.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:45 pm Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
I'm never giving Stu Levy another penny of my money. I don't think Hetalia is worth $15.99 a volume anyway.

Your money is going to Gentosha and to the author.

We are selling the items discounted for the moment so we can build preorders for the release. The cost to make these in a POD type format, with much higher grade paper, means we have to bump the price up a bit to cover this and the royalties due.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
I wish they could release Gosick #3 like this, it was only a month away from being released when Tokyopop ceased publication... I'd pay five times its worth for a copy, you know I would. Anime cry

We're gathering a list of most requested titles, I will make sure to add this to it. I know that Gosick is popular amongst our staff.
machetecat

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
st_owly wrote:
I'm never giving Stu Levy another penny of my money. I don't think Hetalia is worth $15.99 a volume anyway.

We are selling the items discounted for the moment so we can build preorders for the release. The cost to make these in a POD type format, with much higher grade paper, means we have to bump the price up a bit to cover this and the royalties due.
So this statement is sounding much more like it's YOUR release than it is Tokyopop. How involved is TP exactly for this release? Is it just their translations, or are they going to get a nice chunk of the profits? Believe me, I'd LOVE to have vol 3 on my doorstep, but if this is some kind of thing Stu is doing to see if TP can come back, I'm struggling to justify the purchase.

shawnek wrote:
We're gathering a list of most requested titles, I will make sure to add this to it. I know that Gosick is popular amongst our staff.
And if this is the case, then I'd LOVE to get past the Second Raid storyline in the Full Metal Panic novels!! >////>
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Mc-Taz wrote:
I think it's an interesting development. Obviously there was a good response to TokyoPop asking about Hetalia. I just hope RightStuf partnering with TokyoPop isn't going to cause problems for them. RightStuf has always been on top of their game, however, so I believe they will be all right.

As neocloud9 said I'd much rather see Gosick back in production, along with finishing up Future Diary and Battle Vixens, but let's not get too far ahead of ourselves just yet. I like that RightStuf is willing to try new stuff and I hope it works out for them.

I can't promise any specific books or series. What I can promise is that if our POD soft launch does well, we will look to expand the program in order to reach the goals I have already stated.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
I am sooo confused. Is this, like, TRSI experimenting with printing manga? Might this mean they might eventually publish more, and specifically more without Stu Levy's involvement? And moreover, I do indeed like the idea of TRSI getting manga titles and doing print on demand for if they're unsure how they might sell. Maybe this could lead to more print on demand manga from them, who knows? That I would like.

Or is this Stu Levy's way of trying to get Tokyopop back into publishing because he liked having that pet around and really noticed now that it's gone?

Either way, I have no plans to buy any of the three volumes.

We are not looking to become the new Tokyopop, nor am I assisting with any resurrection of Tokyopop. It is my understanding that Tokyopop's rights to their various licensed products were reverted upon their shutdown.

However, that being said, I know that there are many fans out there of series that were not completed which we would love to serve, or for products from publishers (Tokyopop being only one) where books in a series are unavailable and/or unlikely to be reprinted as there is not the perceived demand necessary for the publisher to justify a reprint of the book. If we can work to bring those volumes back into print, customers are much more willing to start a series (or try to complete a series) if they don't feel that they are going to be screwed over trying to find that one elusive volume that was underprinted and now goes for $999 on Amazon marketplace.
minakichan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
While I understand that you are unhappy with Stu, frankly, he has been helpful to us in facilitating getting this property back into circulation. We are utilizing Tokyopop's materials here, and therefore I have to get clearance from them to do so.

I hope that if you're a fan you'll support this release; we want to get the remainder of Hetalia published, as well as show that this model is worthwhile to bring titles back into print that are keeping people from being able to enjoy the series that they enjoy. Nothing sucks more (for the fans and for us as a retailer) to be told that an item is not currently scheduled for a reprint and may never be reprinted. If, and usually this is the case, it's smack in the middle of the series, why would anyone pick up volumes around it? This is our concept - how do we get volumes of titles back into print, as well as get the fans what they want - the completion of those series they have been enjoying.

Thank you a ton for taking the time and letting us know. Stu Levy and Tokyopop's involvement in this really affects my purchase decision; I really want to buy Hetalia and support the author (I already own some volumes in Chinese), but the Tokyopop name and all that is associated with it is enough to drive me away. Is this more of a RightStuf release than a Tokyopop one? Will the success of this title make Tokyopop more likely to return to print and monopolize their previous properties? I would love to to buy this release, but I don't want to encourage a company that has betrayed manga fans' trust.

I love the idea of POD and RightStuf has always been a leader in new, innovative business models for anime and manga. RightStuf is a name that I trust and respect (and I buy most of my anime from you!), so only RightStuf can get me to put money down for this. I think your transparency in talking about this on a forum is already points in RightStuf's favor ahead of Tokyopop, so thanks for that.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:09 pm Reply with quote
streexanime wrote:
Eternal Lover wrote:
Wait, why do people hate Stu Levy? Question

Sure there are plenty of people going "I want my manga series completed"... my overall problem is how the company is holding onto the licenses with an iron fist.

They have plenty of titles that will sell pretty well such as Gakuen Alice, Aria and Maid-sama.... Hetalia is a money maker itself. I am not sure myself if they are holding onto them just to hoard them, to co-publish them to make a larger profit, waiting for the right offer, or hoping to go into publishing again.

Where are you getting data that Tokyopop is holding on to licenses with an iron fist? I know that some of their stuff, like GTO and Paradise Kiss, have been picked up by other parties. While I understand your anger that a series may not have been completed due to Tokyopop's shutdown, I don't know that your statement is accurate.

In effect, what we are trying to do is exactly what you're looking for. I do hope you'll support our effort.
st_owly

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:10 pm Reply with quote
I appreciate the clarification. I feel that I will preorder the volume now. Thanks for taking the time to respond to me. I'm happy to support a general print on demand service as I think that could be very useful.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:18 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of Hetalia and I really don't care if Levy killed someone's symbolic kitten...

...but nonetheless, I think this POD venture is very worthwhile, and lord knows there are many manga which I'd rather pay $15 for then $100.

So Shawn, if this ends up succeeding, is there any interest in speaking with other existing manga publishers who have stuff way out of print?
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I really want vollume 3 of Hetalia, I just don't want Tokyo Pop's release, they should be giving up the lisence soon so maybe I'll wait because I don't want to give anymore money to that Weasel Stu Levey. Also I bought the first 2 vollumes and the quality was crap! Mad
Shenl742

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:28 pm Reply with quote
yotsubafanfan wrote:
I really want vollume 3 of Hetalia, I just don't want Tokyo Pop's release, they should be giving up the lisence soon so maybe I'll wait because I don't want to give anymore money to that Weasel Stu Levey. Also I bought the first 2 vollumes and the quality was crap! Mad

Have you read the last page on this thread?
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Jaymie wrote:
I am also on team "I'm not giving Levy a penny." I've hated the dude for years for running Tokyopop into the ground with his terrible management (Princess Ai Notebooks and Stickers... *shudder*), and I think his manga empire crashing down upon him was a fitting punishment.

It sucks that Future Diary wasn't completed though.

Again, the point of our POD program is to figure out how to get these uncompleted series, as well as series out there from various publishers which have out of print volumes, a new lease on life and to get them to the fans. I hope you'll support this effort.

Not supporting the release isn't hurting Stu Levy. It's hurting the potential for a way to get books back into print at a reasonable price and finish up series that never were completed.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
don't buy it, he can't clutch onto the licences forever and then somone who actually knows what they're doing can publish stuff.

I really want somone to get hold of deadman wonderland.

Please see my earlier post that relates to this topic. Just because someone else has not yet re-licensed some of these properties is not equivalent to Tokyopop is "clutch[ing] onto the licenses forever." These licenses are out there. Some have already found new homes (and some have found new homes, but you simply don't know it yet.) If you want to send a note to one of the other publishers to request them, I'm sure they'd be happy to hear from you.

I will make sure to include Deadman Wonderland on our list also. I know that one is also popular here in our office.

I do hope you'll support our program. We're hoping this will be the first title of many we'll be able to offer fans.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 4:38 pm Reply with quote
shawnek wrote:
st_owly wrote:

Not 100% convinced. In another posting, you say:

shawnek wrote:

He still has his hands in the whole deal. Considering how many bridges this guy has burnt, unless he is permanently cut-off from the whole project, your not gonna get the maximum amount of sales possible.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 5 of 10