• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Video says I'm in Switzerland. I am in the USA.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raitono

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:21 pm Reply with quote
I was watching Spice and Wolf II. Got through episodes 2-4 with no problem. When I tried to load number 5, it informed me that they are not allowed to show the video to Switzerland. Well I feel sorry for the Swiss but that's no reason for you to stop showing them to me! Laughing Any way, I went on another site that has a widget that tells you your location and that site was correct. This leads me to assume it's on ANN's end. I am running Windows 7 and the most updated Firefox. None of this changed between episodes 4 and 5. I also ran CCleaner to clear out the internet files in case that was it, no luck. Rebooting game no results either. Thanks for the help in advance!
Rhyono

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:54 pm Reply with quote
I'm also in the USA, using Windows 7, but on Chrome. I had no problems.
raitono

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 9:04 pm Reply with quote
Just tried Chrome. No difference.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 12:49 pm Reply with quote
Is the video coming up in ANN's player or is it an embed? It seems odd that the other videos played OK. Can you still play them now?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
raitono

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:11 pm Reply with quote
The other videos will not play either, I get the same message. I believe it is ANN's player, it has hulu ads and all just like all the other players I've seen on the site. I was unaware there were two. Here is the URL of episode 2 which I had bookmarked. animenewsnetwork.com/video/14519/#play-1

when I click it, this is what I see:
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 1:31 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the link (the only episodes I can access from here are Crunchy embeds)

It's coming from Hulu then, but that message is ANN's own so the block isn't at the Hulu end; it isn't even loading the player.

I recall FUNi recently had a problem with the geo filters on their player due to issues with their geoIP provider, but I think that was a connectivity issue - which wouldn't place you erroneously in Switzerland and it is currently correctly placing me in the UK. Seems odd that it started working normally for you.

--edit--

Oh, and assuming the problem is purely at ANN's end, you can in the interim continue watching it directly on Hulu: http://www.hulu.com/watch/195058
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
raitono: Wow, this is the first time I've heard of an issue such as this. Well unless a proxy was used though.

Since you state your have the latest Firefox (12.0 as of 5/2/2012) and the latest veresion of CC Cleaner (Version 3.18.1707).

Are you sure your not using a proxy add on (either by accident or someone else installed this) because I heard of a similar issue (elsewhere) and the main issue was that a proxy add on through Firefox was being used.

As Shiroi Hane pointed out, there is a Hulu link, but that doesn't really address fixing this issue though. I wish I could provide more help, but this is news to me that would occur on a non proxy server and or if you didn't click on the Swiss portal link.
raitono

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 8:53 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the replies guys. I know I'm a totally new face on the forum and an problem isn't really the best way to introduce myself. I was out of the anime scene for a while and have recently gotten back in. Any way, I have never installed any type of proxy on my laptop(the computer having the issue). I am on a network provided by a University though. I am unsure how that would affect it but I guess it's possible. I work in one of the computer labs, keeping it clean and making sure there is paper to print, but have always used my personal laptop while in there. Unfortunately, I will not be back in the lab until next Monday. So on Monday, I will try to access the video from one of the computers there to see if it is the whole network and not just my single laptop. But it is very strange that the change happened within half an hour since I was watching episodes back-to-back. Also, thank you Shiroi Hane for finding a new link for me. It is much appreciated.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
@raitono Universities sometimes employ their own proxies, but these are typically on-site things and not, for example, proxies from Switzerland.

You may want to try one of the computers in lab; if you encounter the same problem we will know it is the university.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
I had a similar problem at my university, but with NicoNico rather than ANN. It was telling me that I wasn't in the UK, when I was. Every other site worked fine though, so it could be your university.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:20 am Reply with quote
Hi Raitono,

Are you still experiencing this problem ?

-t
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
This is fixed now. Judging by the time when you posted, the IP-to-country database went through its monthly update just as you were watching ep 4. But maxmind.com released another update just a few days later, so I guess their May 1 update was broken in many ways.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1