• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Colorfully Clandestine

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:01 pm Reply with quote
Tbh, I haven't seen either Avengers or Cabin in the Woods yet although seeing some of Joss Whedon's previous works like Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Serenity, etc, I might check it out as he has a great imaginative mind and most of his work's dialogues are praised in their way.

As for really getting into the main animation field, you would have to take it quite seriously I imagine and those books mentioned are a great start.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
RANDOM ASIDE: I hope that at some point Emma Watson is convicted of robbing Rupert Murdoch, so I can be the one responsible for the headline "Mogul Mugged By Mug-Blood."

Kill me.

Nay, Brian. Before you awaits a fate WORSE THAN DEATH.

Obnoxious...correction!

That's "Mudblood", SIR.

Kill me?
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Maybe your apathy for The Avengers is just due to not caring about that particular franchise. I'm older than you and I, too, don't care about any of the big summer movies this year... but you can bet I'll be part of the stampede to see The Hobbit this December, because I'm still a Tolkien fan and think this could be a good adaptation. (As for the 48-frames-per-second thing, I've heard about it, but there's no way I can have an opinion about whether it's a good thing or not until I can actually see it for myself.)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Good questions this week. I really liked the third. I loved Colorful! After watching it I thought "Oh, I'd love to buy this!" but after thinking about it realized, nope, no one would release this movie in America Crying or Very sad Honestly I was thinking only way it would happen would be if that "Kickstarter" thing (animenewsnetwork.com/anncast/2012-03-09) were around and had enough fans pledge money for like a subbed DVD release.
kakoishii

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 12:54 pm Reply with quote
dewlwieldthedarpachief wrote:
Quote:
RANDOM ASIDE: I hope that at some point Emma Watson is convicted of robbing Rupert Murdoch, so I can be the one responsible for the headline "Mogul Mugged By Mug-Blood."

Kill me.

Nay, Brian. Before you awaits a fate WORSE THAN DEATH.

Obnoxious...correction!

That's "Mudblood", SIR.

Kill me?

unless you were simply joking, I'm certain Brian's play on words has gone over your head. He pretty deliberately chose to write "mug-blood" given the context.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:12 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Do any of us miss the days of anime feature films?

What anime feature films?

The only ones that ever showed in theaters here were poorly dubbed hackjob anime by Saban and 4Kids, with the occasional Ghibli flick.

These days it's now only an occasional Ghibli flick and no more badly dubbed kid's shows, so the US has essentially gotten better.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:17 pm Reply with quote
There seems to be an age cohort of anime fans that sees the archetype of anime to be Akira and Ghost in the Shell. Is there an equivalent these days?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:
There seems to be an age cohort of anime fans that sees the archetype of anime to be Akira and Ghost in the Shell. Is there an equivalent these days?

No, not really. If only because those movies never were "representative" of anime.

By the way, am I the only one who just can't not think of this whenever someone says the title "Colorful"?
danilo07

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
DavidShallcross wrote:

The King of Thron definitely has the same energy that Akira had.I am not saying it is better but it is similar to it a lot.
jlaking

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Not to mention that they throw in more recent fare like D.N.Angel and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

Discotek did not release Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, S'More did.
NJ_

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Quote:
Not to mention that they throw in more recent fare like D.N.Angel and Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo.

Discotek did not release Bobobo-bo Bo-bobo, S'More did.

Yeah, and we all know what happened with that show so this needs to be fixed and perhaps replaced with Lovely Complex.

Last edited by NJ_ on Fri May 04, 2012 2:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
dragon695

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
DavidShallcross wrote:

No, not really. If only because those movies never were "representative" of anime.

By the way, am I the only one who just can't not think of this whenever someone says the title "Colorful"?

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that. That many anime directors and producers weren't inspired by Akira and others like it. Nope, it was totally all those awesome moe/harem/loli fanservice shows! Meanwhile, you might want to get some some reading comprehension:
From the column wrote:

It seems to have critical acclaim in both Japan and Europe, but there doesn't seem to be even the slightest mention of it for North America. Is there no hope for the fantastic and widely acclaimed Colorful movie to ever come out here (while that horrific ecchi of the same name somehow made it over here no problem) even if I (and other fans of the movie) were to go around asking very very nicely?
Pepperidge

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:41 pm Reply with quote
I had the opportunity to see Colorful at a film festival a few weeks back. I had quite a few feelings and thoughts as I left the theatre, and one of them was "man, there is NO way that is getting any kind of commercial release, anywhere, ever." It's unconventional not just as an anime, but as a film in general. It just isn't the type of movie that has any real viability outside of the film festival circuit, and even in Japan I'm sure the home video release was a very small, limited affair.
agila61

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Well, you could knock me over with a feather, my letter was actually printed, though under my twitter handle rather than my ANN one.

Oops, got to go back and finish reading the column and other answers.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:21 pm Reply with quote
Cheers for answering my question, i hadnt really taken japanese business sensibilities into account when asking for info about various series.

I asked vertical about mabye getting hold of deadman wonderland seeing as they are dealing with onizuka (wich i personally thought kodansha USA would be all over) and was taol that deadman wasnt available.

the plot thickens it seems. I guess most importantly i should focus on the series i have on the go at the moment and try and play catchup as best i can elswhere for older titles and above all support the industry by keeping up my scanlation embargo (if im buying the series im not allowed to read scans) and never ever take a break from buying manga again because having a year off has really made a mess of things lol.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3