• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Mike Toole Show - A Column About Nothing

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shenl742

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:09 pm Reply with quote
Funny you should mention RotTK, as I've been plowing away at Dynasty Warriors 7, even though I've probably got entire shelf of more fulfilling anime and video games that I haven't even touched yet.

Best Buy...yeah. I mean, I just a $25 gift card there for my birthday, and I wonder if I'll ever use that because I cannot think of anything that I need to immediately buy from there

I do 99% of my buying from Righstuf these days. I'm only a state or two away from their HQ, so whenever I choose free shipping it usually arrives at my house within a week.

But I'm also the type of guy who'll buy almost anything if I can find it super cheap to satisfy my collector's hunger, so I'll occasionally go to amazon, or Hastings, or one of the three used movie stores near my Mom's house in Virginia Beach

Yeah, what happened to Tiger & Bunny? I really hope all the procarstination is because they're working really hard to iron out some kind of big deal US debut but...well, it's a video release from Viz, so it's hard to be optimistic...

Man, this comic was about nothing but it was still a lot of fun to read! Mike's just the kind of guy I can hear shoot the shit forever. Mike, if you're ever feel really stumped about having an idea for a column, don't feel the least bit afraid of doing something like this again!
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:16 pm Reply with quote
I enjoyed this one a lot. You should write about nothing more often.

Quote:
So how about it, Viz? Where the hell is my Tiger and Bunny?!

I've been wondering that myself! I'm also wondering where the next season of it is. Why, after going to all the trouble to make something new and original, and then leaving it with clearly more story to come, are they now just recycling it in a bunch of other media rather than continuing the story? Why??

Incidentally, you can add to its list of accomplishments that it's been nominated for a Seiun. It was startling to realize that out of 10 total works nominated in the Best Dramatic Presentation Hugo categories this year, I've seen exactly one (Source Code), but out of 6 Seiun nominees in the equivalent category, I saw 2 as simulcasts (Tiger & Bunny and Steins;Gate), 1 when it got to Crunchyroll this year (Madoka Magica), and would have watched a fourth had it been made available to me legally (Mawaru Penguindrum).

Quote:
Speaking of things nobody bought: What anime are you NOT buying, both literally and figuratively? It just seems like an interesting question to me; what anime do you spy on the shelves, darling of critics and fans alike, and think "Meh."? Redline, maybe? Do you scroll past Grave of the Fireflies on Netflix so you can watch Rosario+Vampire? Have you ignored the new Lupin the 3rd series because it cuts into your Mysterious Girlfriend X time?

Well, I've ignored the new Lupin because the critical acclaim I've seen so far says the two main reasons for watching are: (1) pre-existing sentimental attachment to the series and (2) boobs. I'm not really into either of those.

I'm not watching Bodacious Space Pirates because I tried for a few episodes and it just didn't grip me. I really, really wanted to like it, but I've never felt any urge to see any more.

And I did buy Redline-- bought it from Amazon UK, in fact, because I couldn't wait for the R1 release-- and hated it. So much that I wondered if the writers that of the reviews I'd read had gotten together to play a practical joke on the rest of us.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
As far as Tiger & Bunny is concerned, it is seemingly set for a UK release already. There is no doubt it is being dubbed (or maybe already finished being dubbed) because it is listed in the SAG's database.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If you're that guy, then I have a show for you: High School DxD! You will definitely watch it and think THANK YOU ANIME, YOU'VE DONE IT AGAIN!

Yes, I am that guy, because I got much enjoyment out of High School DxD for precisely that reason. I do enjoy my pointless fanservice shows, and it's nice when you get one like this that doesn't try too hard to be something other than that.

As for critically acclaimed shows that I just can't get interested in, I'd have to say that Lupin the 3rd in all it's incarnations just has never been able to hook me. I don't know if it's just the character designs or what, but I just could never stand to watch an entire episode of it. And with so much out there to watch, I'm not going to force myself to slog through something in the hopes that it grows on me. I've also been avoiding Redline, but there's a couple reasons for that. First off, way too much hype over it. I feel that if I go into it right now, the chances that it doesn't live up to the hype are great, and thus it'll feel like a major letdown. Secondly, I have a large enough backlog of things to watch that I could go 3 or 4 years without purchasing a single new DVD/BD and I wouldn't run out of stuff to watch. So, I figure by the time I get my backlog cleared out enough, Redline will be forgotten enough to where I can pick it up and enjoy it for its own merits, and not because I feel I'm the only one who hasn't watched it.
danilo07

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Well this year i am not watching critically Space Brothers,for multiple reasons:
1)There is rumor internet that it will have 48 episodes (highly unlikely but its air time makes me question that)
2)I already am watching Kids on Slope
3)Not a big a fan of this genre.If you look at first episode you can already know how it is going to end.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
I think I have bought anime from Best Buy twice and that was a few years ago. Right now Amazon simply has ridiculous sales on anime so I mostly buy from there. Though a lot of that is that I simply live far away from a major city (2 hours from Portland, and Tacoma).

The most recent anime I bought was Fairy Tail, I simply have too many games to buy for anime.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Sun May 06, 2012 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glory Questor

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Right now, I'm not buying too much new anime, mostly finding used copies of older stuff. The newest series I bought were the complete Murder Princess and Sacred Blacksmith series.

Quote:

My question for the longest time has been "Where the hell is my Inuyasha: The Final Act"? Even though they finally commented they would release it this fall, it was originally simulcast in March of 2010 yet it's going to be 2-1/2 years since then that it's released?

I really don't understand VIZ America at all anymore. They cancelled Shojo Beat magazine while it was apparently still profitable, they cancelled Shonen Jump in print recently despite the same reasons, and they delay limited anime series from DVD/BD release for years while hoping that long-running standbys Naruto and Bleach will carry the day (even though they'll end up with whole DVDs and BDs of flashback hell Rolling Eyes ).

Hopefully they get their house in order before the cards start tumbling out from under them. Confused
Polycell

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:51 pm Reply with quote
I personally never had any interest in Red Line either. Everybody keeps talking about how superspecialawesome it is, but nothing makes me want to see it(or even read the review, for that matter). Maybe it's the fact that nobody talks about the story or the characters and I'm not the type to watch something for the effects. I'm also not interested in the new Lupin III series, probably because I liked the one Adult Swim showed and I know it's nothing like that.
Psycho_Despair

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:02 pm Reply with quote
Hmph....A column about nothing.........LOVE THAT!!!

I have been wondering why I don't have a copy of Tiger&Bunny on DVD.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
I personally never had any interest in Red Line either. Everybody keeps talking about how superspecialawesome it is, but nothing makes me want to see it(or even read the review, for that matter). Maybe it's the fact that nobody talks about the story or the characters and I'm not the type to watch something for the effects. I'm also not interested in the new Lupin III series, probably because I liked the one Adult Swim showed and I know it's nothing like that.

Redline is a great action movie, but it's not as good as other movies like Sword of the Stranger. If you're not interested in the style of Koike then there is little reason to actually watch it.
Botan24

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:11 pm Reply with quote
Every day I log in to ANN the first thing I check for is Tiger and Bunny news. I'd heard Viz can take a long time to release stuff, but this is ridiculous! I'm in the camp with others who hope that the release is taking forever because they are working as hard as they can to get it right.

Regarding Best Buy, their anime section used to be fairly decent size. I remember the day (a few years ago now) I went in looking for a certain title only to find they had neutered the selection! It was disheartening and I quickly switched over to buying most of my anime online. I still frequent FYE, but more for used titles. The new stuff is, not overpriced, but more than I'm willing to spend. Especially when I can get it ten dollars cheaper at TRSI or amazon (and that's including shipping!)

But, I've had to curb my spending habits this last month. If I do buy anything its going to be Bandai or Media Blasters titles. Because Bandai, we know for sure is done. And I'm willing to give MB the benefit of the doubt and believe that they are still staying in business. Personally though...I'm not taking any chances, so their titles have high priority.
Crisha

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:15 pm Reply with quote
The Tooleman wrote:
Speaking of things nobody bought: What anime are you NOT buying, both literally and figuratively? It just seems like an interesting question to me; what anime do you spy on the shelves, darling of critics and fans alike, and think "Meh."?

I have several of these. And most of them are the long-episode kind.

But as for one that isn't, Miyazaki's Totoro and Nausicaa. I do want to eventually watch both some day, and I'm certain I'll find Totoro adorable and magical like most of his works and be really pleased with Nausicaa for its main female lead, but other purchasing priorities always seem to get in the way. I'm not as likely to buy movies as I am to buy manga or anime series (a lot due to how much more limited series tend to be vs. high-profile movies like Miyazaki or Pixar), so often times I just have to tell myself, okay, put aside some of your entertainment funds for a movie.

Theatrical animated movies that I do have to be more on top of though are Disney's Diamond/Platinum blu-ray editions, out of the vault for a limited time! I'm still trying to decide if I'm going to buy all of them or only my favorites, because I already have almost all of the old VHS releases. The only VHS I don't have are the "package films" released between Bambi and Cinderella (i.e. Fun and Fancy Free) and anything released 2000 or later. I currently have Beauty and the Beast (an immediate purchase), Fantasia/Fantasia 2000, and Lady and the Tramp. Prices are starting to jump for some previous releases, so I need to purchase them soon if I'm gonna buy them. Convincing myself to buy Cinderella or Alice in Wonderland is going to be tough though. I don't really care for either movie (especially Alice). But, damnit, I feel like I need to have a full library dedicated to Disney, because that was a lot of my childhood.

Speaking of childhood, similar to how you mention, "Where's my Tiger and Bunny?" (which I agree with 100%), I'd also like to know, "When the hell can I finally buy all of Gargoyles?" ARGH, so frustrating!

But back on the things I need to buy/watch topic. Like I said, a majority of the rest are the long-episode series: Monster, Legend of the Galactic Heroes, Maison Ikkoku, Touch, Kimagure Orange Road. I just have a hard time getting into them knowing how much of a commitment they're going to be. I've started several episodes of each, but I'm having a hard time following up on them. I know I'll love the first two, they seem right up my alley. I tend to have a harder time getting into episodic slice-of-life/romcoms, like the other three, so I imagine those will be the toughest to get through. But I do want to finally see them since they're well-regarded older series. Since I have a 3-week break now until my next online course starts, I think I'm going to commit myself to finishing one of these series. Probably LotGH. That bad boy has been sitting unfinished on my list since 2009.

Enjoyable column as ever, Mike!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:

I watched it, and I felt it was average at best. It looked nice and animated well, but the story made no sense and there was little reason to care about the characters. If all you care about is mindless action, maybe you'd like it, but I care more about character interaction than anything and it really lacked that.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Mike Toole wrote:

It was confirmed on the Tiger & Bunny facebook page that a dub has been in the works as we speak as far the script goes since April. Also I found out that rom the English track section on the Mania anime forums that it is being dubbed by Studiopolis. Why is it taking this long to do all of this I'm honestly not sure. A LOT of anime fans want to believe that Viz Media is lazy and is not doing there job among other faults about them. Me, personally? I think it's possibly due to certain representatives from Viz Media consulting with the people behind the show in Japan about whatever it is they're consulting about. Or maybe it was careful casting decisions or being sure of who to hire for each position of the dub process.

Again, lots of people want to believe that Viz is stupid. I'll stick to my guesses since I personally, speaking for myself, like to keep my cool about stuff like this.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, I'm not watching any "new" anime right now, by and large, because of a combination of factors: I'm too busy for any weekly series and there are just way too many "old" shows on my shelves and on my hard drive that still remain unwatched or unfinished. I'm still buying a few things, like Nozomi's Dirty Pair releases, but I believe it would be best to get through at least half of the existing material in my library before trying to check out all of the newest and hottest stuff.

For example, one of the last shows I saw was Heroic Age. It's not a particularly great series, to be honest, but I enjoyed the scale of the space/monster battles. Even though the animation and character designs were only mediocre, a couple of its sci-fi/fantasy concepts were at least interesting enough to keep my attention.

You could say something similar about my Heat Guy J experience from a couple of months back. However, that show actually had a much better cast of characters and a pretty good setting, making up for its rather average plot. Speaking of series directed by Kazuki Akane, I'd guess Noein ~ to your other self might have been the single best anime I've seen in a while, with my only real complaint being a relatively rushed epilogue.

That's about it. I'll eventually get around to newer titles like Madoka or even Kids on the Slope, but I'm not in any real hurry.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5