• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
TRSI's Print on Demand project

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Hetalia volumes 1 and 2 arrived today, and I have to say I'm impressed.

Since I don't have the TP versions of these books, I can't compare them, but the overall quality of TRSI's version is pretty good. They are using TP's layout so they show some of TP's tendency to position panels too close to the binding, but everything else is superior to anything I got from TP towards the end.

The books have glossy covers with crisp, bright, colors and the print quality throughout is sharp - I haven't seen any smudging or blurring. The paper quality is much better - it's a considerably heavier bond and it's actually white, unlike the tan/grey/whatever color it was that TP was using. I don't know if they're using acid free paper but it looks like these books will have a longer shelf life than TP's likely will. They cost a couple of dollars more but I'd say they're worth it.

I'll definitely continue to support TRSI's POD effort in the future.
Wiesteria

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:24 pm Reply with quote
Darn it, I was going to stay away from these, but your description make them sound so nice!
NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Could you please post a link or more information about that project?
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:04 pm Reply with quote
kyokun703

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 8:54 pm Reply with quote
I have the original TP v. 1, and I went ahead and ordered the TRSI v. 1 because I wanted to compare the two copies. (I also preordered v. 3) If TRSI ships mine soon, I'll post my opinions.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:12 am Reply with quote
the way i see it is get it while you can, levy or no levy. Its nice to have ideals but the manga industry needs all the help it can get so we gotta take the bad with the good.
st_owly

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 7:36 am Reply with quote
I have the TP versions of 1 and 2, and I've ordered RS's volume 3. I can't justify rebuying them, especially with RightStuf's ridiculous international shipping costs so I'll be able to compare them when I get my volume 3.
chefneer
Aria Company

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:16 am Reply with quote
@kyokun703 and @st_owly: that would be cool, I'm curious about how the two versions compare, up close and personal. This is my second experience with POD and so far the results have been excellent.

I wonder if this might not be a good model for the future. If the POD model enables the publisher to use better quality materials and processes, then I say go for it. The books do cost a little more but I, for one, am willing to pay a little more for a quality product.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:50 am Reply with quote
I hope it works out well for them. As long as POD quality is good, POD seems like the ideal method for bringing out properties that probably wouldn't be financially feasible if you had to spend the time and money to work retail and print thousands of copies but could maybe sell enough to cover a licensing fee and translation related costs.
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:24 pm Reply with quote
I'm really hoping that this will succeed, if this will allow other cancelled Tokyopop titles to continue at least a little while longer (depending on how much work was done on the impending volume), or even convince other publishers to hop on board with this.

*stares at the Viz OOP manga abyss*
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:03 pm Reply with quote
I would love it if something like this worked out for other unfinished series, however I'm a little hesitant to start getting excited yet--- it sounds like all of the translation/editing/typesetting on these books was already completed and presumably paid for, and Tokyopop still had the license to them. The problem with continuing "other series Tokyopop left hanging" is that 1) they would need to re-license with the intent for only PoD (and I'm not too sure how welcome most Japanese companies will be to that) and 2) Most of the series we would want them to complete probably haven't already been translated/edited/typeset, so you'd need to pay for that as well.

I mean, I would love to see the rest of Gakuen Alice, Saiyuki, Lady Kanoko, The Good Witch of the West (whhhyyyyy, we were one volume awwaaaaaay for yeeeaaarrss), or Future Diary--- the list just goes on and on, I'm afraid--- I'm just not holding my breath? Though if something did get worked out, I would have no issue paying $10 for it (their discounted price at the moment) if it was for a series I was already invested in, especially since the quality seems to be top notch. Not sure if I would go for new series in that format, though.

Last edited by ZepysGirl on Sun May 13, 2012 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
kyokun703

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
Very true. I think this would work best for series that are finished, but OOP (Monster, Banana Fish, Tramps Like Us), or for series that were very nearly done (VB Rose, Lady Kanoko, Your & My Secret). Or what would be awesome, would be to pair up with JManga somehow and do POD with them.

Ongoing series (Gakuen Alice, From Eroica with Love) I see much less of a chance getting picked up, because of the work involved with the translating, lettering, editing, etc.
ZepysGirl

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
They just announced Bizenghast volume 8! I will be pre-ordering this, as soon as they have another sale and I can get enough items in my cart for free shipping. Anime smile

I would just like to note that Bizenghast was another of those "We've already finished most/all of the work, we just didn't print it" books. So it's not exactly a groundbreaking announcement, but it's a very happy one for fans of Bizenghast.
Polycell

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:21 pm Reply with quote
Maybe they could partner with JManga for some newer titles; a good number of those would need a round of editing or two before being printed, though.
toaster_4hire

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 10:13 am Reply with quote
So many TP titles that were in the pipeline got slaughtered, so I'd be thrilled to see something like Silver Diamond 10! Ship date was July 12th 2011, TokyoPop stopped taking POs from bookstores ... What, May 15th I think?

Something like an Espresso Book Machine, but for manga, would be awesome. Could you imagine one of those at a con? You'd have lines out of the door!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2