• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Poke-Maughan The Movie 2000

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mannyperson

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:44 pm Reply with quote
I absolutely love Kimi ni Todoke! It definitely isn't for everyone, but I think it's great!! I have to agree with Justin that you have to be able to understand why Sawako is the way she is though--if you can't, you're gonna be really bothered and not be able to get into the show.
Bassman_PhD

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:10 am Reply with quote
The ANNcast movie would probably be directed by the My Dinner with Andre guy.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:14 am Reply with quote
mannyperson wrote:
I absolutely love Kimi ni Todoke! It definitely isn't for everyone, but I think it's great!! I have to agree with Justin that you have to be able to understand why Sawako is the way she is though--if you can't, you're gonna be really bothered and not be able to get into the show.

Kimi ni Todoke was great up through the end of the Kurumi arc. Then it just ground to a halt. I finished the first season, but I had no desire to watch any more.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:29 am Reply with quote
I would say that about a third of the CB episodes are mediocre, Vicious really never gets past silver haired badass swordsman, and the series doesn't really do a good job making me care about the relationship of Spike and Vicious because they never do a flashback that last longer than a minute.

There's no tension between who Tenchi picks because he just marries them all. The creator of Tenchi is a huge fan of polygamy endings so all of his series ends with the characters just doing them all. Tenchi Muyo GXP ends with the lead marrying spoiler[9 women including a rabbit, 4 of them get involved by simply kidnapping him.]

I gave up on Bodacious Space Pirates because by episode 2 I couldn't even tell what genre the anime is in. Was it a show about pirates? Was it a show set in the school that just had pirates in it?

MiB 3 actually looks better than the second one (which isn't hard)

I hear a lot of good things about Planetes but I refuse to watch it because it's by the director and writer of Code Geass.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri May 11, 2012 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:46 am Reply with quote
I can heave a sigh of relief after listening to Tim mention his inability to maintain any enthusiasm for Bodacious Space Pirates. I have tried 5 different times to watch this series as a CR subscriber and had to fall by the wayside at episode 12. Whew! Interestingly, there's a forum on CR suggesting if an alternative title or title wording would better suit describing/announcing the series. Many admirers listed their choices and their collective ideas clustered around the original name. The best I could do with the limited knowledge base I have about this series was unfittingly: Smart Tarts with Charts. I doubt I'll win honorable mention as my heart just isn't into watching anymore of this anime.

Planetes: I guess I can't pick winners either. I really dug this series. As for Tenchi Muyo his misadventures got me started in anime. I've been postponing rewatch account what Zac intoned. I'll leave my memories intact rather than re-expose them to poorly drawn (by today's standards) figures following a harem script. Voila: No Need for Tenchi!

Wow! You guys animated as anime. My mind is blown. This demands guzzling copious quantities of Irish creme to settle my freaked out axons and myelin sheaths within the cranial froth. My brain, my brain.....arrrgh!
The Black Stones

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
Edit: Didn't listen well, nevermind!
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:23 am Reply with quote
Personally I find the characters of Tenchi to be pretty hot especially when you compare it to the characters of today. I rarely find anime characters today to be good looking simply because they all look 12 no matter how old they are. The character designs Kyoto Animation have been using since K-on! in particular are awful and frankly Haruhi wasn't much better.

For remakes, I think we need to see something like FMA Brotherhood which was created by people who clearly loved the manga, and less like the Rurouni Kenshin OVA which came off like someone dragged Furuhashi into the studio just to make something for the anniversary despite the fact that he clearly doesn't seem to care about the Rurouni Kenshin manga.

Last edited by Charred Knight on Fri May 11, 2012 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Ingraman

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
I hear a lot of good things about Planetes but I refuse to watch it because it's by the director and writer of Code Geass.[/spoiler]

No, you've got it wrong. Code Geass was by the director of Planetes (with the script credit going to someone else heavily involved in CG). Viewed that way, maybe CG should have been an excellent series (but then CG didn't have a good manga as a basis for the plot). I love Planetes, and have double-dipped in buying it (the R1 DVDs, and the Japanese BD box). I couldn't finish the first Code Geass series since I was bored by the plot and didn't find any of the characters particularly interesting.
Ojamajo LimePie

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Bodacious Space Pirates builds its world slowly over the first 5 episode arc. Don't dismiss it after only one or two episodes.
nightjuan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:16 am Reply with quote
I've never watched Tenchi Muyo myself and thus can't really comment on that, beyond agreeing that the character designs were clearly a product of their time. I'd imagine that the pace of relationship development is probably about as slow as that of, say, Ranma 1/2 though.

On a semi-related note...what I would like to see is more anime romances or even just harem series where the story continues past the confession phase. I don't mind if they use that as a climatic point, but you can still try to do something interesting with the narrative afterwards, at least as long as the writing is good enough. Which, I can already realize, is certainly the exception rather than the rule.

I did put Bodacious Space Pirates on hold though. I wasn't particularly annoyed by what was going on, mind you, but simply decided that I could afford to let it finish and come back later. Even the current lukewarm feelings some people have expressed towards it haven't totally turned me off yet.

The Forever War sounds quite interesting, Tim. I'm definitely going to check that out.

Ingraman wrote:

No, you've got it wrong. Code Geass was by the director of Planetes (with the script credit going to someone else heavily involved in CG).
Viewed that way, maybe CG should have been an excellent series (but then CG didn't have a good manga as a basis for the plot).

Actually, both of you are technically right. They have the same writer-director duo. But so what? It's not exactly a real issue, in practice.

Let me be a broken record for a minute here: Planetes was a very different type of production and Code Geass isn't even remotely pretending to be similar. As one could easily tell at first glance, their intended target audiences are barely comparable, so it's natural that most of their respective fan bases don't overlap. Honestly, not too many people seem to be in my boat, where I was able to enjoy both of them well enough (a fact which may displease some, yes, but I'm not going to pretend otherwise).

Rather than just having a manga, because Planetes does take some major liberties later on, what makes the biggest difference is the actual setting: it's relatively realistic and set in a more or less believable near-future scenario. Even the worst joke is something you could expect to see on a live-action U.S. or Japanese sitcom, as opposed to something that relies on any number of over-the-top fantasy elements.

Last edited by nightjuan on Fri May 11, 2012 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:23 am Reply with quote
Tenchi girls were great. Kiyone being my favorite.

As far as bad dubbing, having Ayeka sound like a 50 year old British woman is worse than a side character like Tenchi's dad.
JaffaOrange

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:22 am Reply with quote
Heh, Zac says he'd like to see more remakes/reinterpretations and wonders why there aren't many...

One week after declaring his falling out with the new FMA.
giseki

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
is it just me or does it sound like tim is snorting coke every five seconds throughout the podcast
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:21 am Reply with quote
Tenchi Girls, the only Anime figurine that I bought in the 90's was Ryoko. I liked the designs then and rewatching now I still do. Today's animation is better quality though.

Alien, I was in College when it was made / released. Working in the Library we got some Hollywood "insider" magazine that covered the production. It looked interesting, so I went to see it when then movie came out. Was a weekday, early afternoon showing, myself and three teen girls with their grandmother setting two rows in front of me. With only five people in the theater I thought my eardrums would burst from the screams those three girls put out.

There are several recent series that I've sampled, like Bodacious Space Pirates, that I will wait for R1 release on to finish. I'm one of those physical media types despite being a confirmed computer geek.

Mark Gosdin
TimMaughan

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:25 am Reply with quote
giseki wrote:
is it just me or does it sound like tim is snorting coke every five seconds throughout the podcast

Busted.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6