• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Poke-Maughan The Movie 2000

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
bednorz wrote:
I'm 100% behind Zac on Bebop and Tenchi. I remember watching CB and thinking "force yourself to like, everybody likes this show". And yet I couldn't give a damn about the characters and all those gimmicks of the week.

Yeah, I too wasn't all that enamored with Bebop. It had some really good episodes, and many very uninteresting episodes. Couldn't really care or sympathize with Spike since he really just did not care about anyone but Julia. Wonderful ending. I'm glad I watched the whole thing, but I really won't be watching it again. Oh, and the Rock-lobster and Mushroom Samba episodes were just plain dumb.

Quote:
Trash your nostalgia goggles, people. Rewatching your beloved classics now would be a good way to do it.

Laughing Netflix actually helped me realize that I never had a pair of nostalgia goggles. They've been putting up a lot of old stuff (not anime) I remember loving as a youngin', and watching most of it now I'm actually kind of blown away with how bad most of it really is. Like that X-Men cartoon from the 90's; watching it now is pretty rough.

Nice to hear one of my all-time favorite movies Alien get some much deserved love from ANN! Embarrassing admission: I actually kind of blew up on one of my friends for expressing that he enjoyed Resurrection over the first one. Twisted Evil I mean, how?!?!

Concerning Legend of Korra: I too bought a season pass for it, and am kind of regretting it. I'm not as disappointed with it as Justin is, but yeah, it's trying to do way too much at once. I like the setting and conflict though, and I don't find Korra all that annoying, though I can see the love-triangle they're shoehorning in becoming quite irritating. I hope it gets better so I don't feel like I completely wasted my money.
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:42 pm Reply with quote
hmm...i liked the idea about akira being turned into a series.
i think the problem is really that it would be next to impossible to animate 26 episodes in such minute detail.
i'd really like to see a remake of the original mobile suit gundam series, chopped down to 26 episodes and without the kids. additionally with a storytelling that doesn't just focus on a crew running from another crew that works together with yet different crews. discard most of these "chase" parts, stretch out some of them a little longer and let the battles play out more variable on a strategic level. and then build up some good suspense for the war.

about physical media: i'm not really a manga or comic collector. i own whatever of the gits manga i managed to track down in germany. if i had an ipad and it was available on it(is it?) i would sure as hell buy it. the whole gits thing is just probably my single favorite "universe" in fictional media. i own all the movies, the series and part of the manga. if a sequel to the series is going to come someday, i will literally go nuts. i just want to own it. same as with collecting LPs. it would be easier to just get it digitally and play the music via ipod connected to my stereo.
BUT, holding vinyl in my hands and reading the lyrics, seeing the (often) nice artwork and all the detail that went into making the record is just so much better.
still, if i had an ipad i would buy a lot more manga!
Yorozuya

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm really loving Korra at the moment, it's just so charming and layered. While they are trying to do a lot I think it is being done successfully so far. It's more plot heavy than the first series was at this point but there's nothing wrong with that:)
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi has that 90s art style going on for it. Saber Marionette J and Slayers also shows signs of it. The girls are still cute, though. Washu Forever <3 Genius girls are my weakness.

Movies dumbing down and ruining books is nothing new. I remember reading Jurassic Park as a kid then seeing the movie. It's completely different and they went for a more family fun dinosaur adventure flick. Hammond was such a huge ass in the book and gets eaten by dinosaurs in the end because of it and everyone cheered. In the movie he's some jolly Willy Wonka with Dinosaurs instead of candy. Talk about 180ing a character...

Korra is so painful yet entertaining. It's such a trainwreck you can't help be see how bad the following episode will be. It's like someone took Bend it Like Beckham and Twilight and fused them together so you get a show about a girl who wants to do this sport while having painfully forced brooding tween romance overshadowing everything else. I wonder if they make rifftrax for tv shows.
vinamara

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
neocloud9 wrote:
Count me among those enjoying Legend of Korra so far. I was really invested in the original series, so being able to revisit that world and see how its culture and society has changed over the years has been a real treat. (Not to mention totally digging the '20s Shanghai vibe.)

And the animation is really polished, they clearly took their time making the little gestures and expressions look as fluid and natural as possible - I'd put that animation up against the stuff coming out of Japan now, easily. (Something that, as much as I loved the original series, I wouldn't have been able to claim in its defense.)

As far as the writing goes, I see potential within each of the characters for some pretty interesting growth and I anticipate the creators making good use of that. Assuming they keep up the quality of writing from the original series, which I've been given no reason to doubt.

QFT.

And Amon is shaping up to be one of the really good villains. The fear he inspires is real. The fight choreography is still the best and I just love the new steampunk themed world.

Episode 4 truly took my breath away when Amon captured Korra and instilled that invasive fear in her. Just too good.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

Movies dumbing down and ruining books is nothing new. I remember reading Jurassic Park as a kid then seeing the movie. It's completely different and they went for a more family fun dinosaur adventure flick. Hammond was such a huge ass in the book and gets eaten by dinosaurs in the end because of it and everyone cheered. In the movie he's some jolly Willy Wonka with Dinosaurs instead of candy. Talk about 180ing a character...

I often use Jurassic Park as a litmus test to see if someone is so obsessed with the idea of a film adaptation being exactly like the book that they can't tell when a good film has resulted regardless of how slavishly faithful it is to the source material.

If you can't recognize Jurassic Park as basically flawless summer entertainment and point out how it's different from the book as your chief argument, then you aren't really watching the film, you're just checking off boxes in your head and it's more about how faithful the film is than whether or not it's actually any good on its own.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

I often use Jurassic Park as a litmus test to see if someone is so obsessed with the idea of a film adaptation being exactly like the book that they can't tell when a good film has resulted regardless of how slavishly faithful it is to the source material.

If you can't recognize Jurassic Park as basically flawless summer entertainment and point out how it's different from the book as your chief argument, then you aren't really watching the film, you're just checking off boxes in your head and it's more about how faithful the film is than whether or not it's actually any good on its own.

You should probably point out that Jurassic Park isn't even that great of a book, it rambles on, we didn't need the constant references to people's intestines, the story works better as an adventure film, Hammond is a lot more interesting as a nice guy who just screws up instead of some coporate guy who spoiler[wanders off and dies by Compies].
AmpersandsUnited

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

The same can be said of all books and movies. Who needs Asimov's original short stories of I, Robot when you can enjoy Will Smith doing his thing and shooting up robots for a few hours of entertainment? We're not LOTR fanboys who cry when Gimli's beard is a different color than in the book, but when the whole original idea of the book is shelved in favor of a generic blockbuster action flick, why not just make it an original movie?
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:51 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

It helps that the book isn't very good.

/missing the point
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:46 pm Reply with quote
AmpersandsUnited wrote:

The same can be said of all books and movies. Who needs Asimov's original short stories of I, Robot when you can enjoy Will Smith doing his thing and shooting up robots for a few hours of entertainment? We're not LOTR fanboys who cry when Gimli's beard is a different color than in the book, but when the whole original idea of the book is shelved in favor of a generic blockbuster action flick, why not just make it an original movie?

There's a difference between complaining about changes because they made the movie worst, and complaining about changes because they are different. You have not explained why Hammond is a more interesting character in the book you just mentioned that his different.

Here's an example of complaining about changes that made something worse.

In the Rurouni Kenshin manga the last arc before the Kyoto saga starts is the Raijuta arc where Kenshin must confront a swordsman who wants to get rid of the training of Kenjutsu (sword art) with shinai because he believes training should only be done with real swords like they used to do it. It's a personal story that's more about Raijuta's student than it is about Raijuta. It's a flawed story because Raijuta isn't an interesting character but the scenes with Kenshin and Raijuta talking are interesting, Yutaro is a great character, and it includes the idea of people selling their culture to the west.

In the anime they decided that if they replaced the story about Raijuta wanting to change the way the sword is taught to him trying to spoiler[take over Japan using an army of swordsman]. The problem? Raijuta still isn't an interesting character since his unchanged and the new plot makes no sense. They increased the action but the new action is boring (basically imagine if the final battle in The Last Samurai was simply them charging and getting gunned down) and they removed most of the best scenes in the arc.
ChibiKangaroo

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I have to ask Zac, will you be watching Urotsukidoji? Inquiring minds have to know.
ljaesch

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
I've been giving some more thought on anime that's appropriate for preschoolers, and here's some more thoughts I had.

I think a couple of the Studio Ghibli films might work for this age group: My Neighbor Totoro and Ponyo.

These are also kid-friendly, but could potentially be a stretch for preschoolers: Pokemon, Kirby Right Back At Ya!, Hamtaro (this one's probably harder to come by these days), and Sonic X.

Sadly, there's not much anime that would be appropriate for preschoolers being brought over. Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
penguintruth

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:23 pm Reply with quote
I watch Cowboy Bebop once every year. To me, it's still the best. It's a show where the style is part of the substance.

As for Tenchi Muyo, yeah, it doesn't hold up super well, but it does have a very creative world full of possibilities (that got ruined by that third OVA in the 00s). I feel like defending the dub, while it's not great, it's not awful, either, with a few exceptions in the cast. The voice of Tenchi himself always bothered me. I always liked KT Vogt's Washu, though. As for whether or not the women are attractive, I never found them super hot, but they were unique.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Tenchi

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
ChibiKangaroo wrote:
I have to ask Zac, will you be watching Urotsukidoji? Inquiring minds have to know.

The original Urotsukidouji OVA series was released in 1987 through 1989, so it doesn't really qualify as 1990s. It had sequels released in the 1990s, but they're not nearly as iconic as the original.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:49 pm Reply with quote
ljaesch wrote:
These are also kid-friendly, but could potentially be a stretch for preschoolers: Pokemon, Kirby Right Back At Ya!, Hamtaro (this one's probably harder to come by these days), and Sonic X.

Only the edited 4Kids dub versions of those shows, though. The originals.. not so much.

Pocket Monsters originally had lots of sexual instances and violence
Kirby of the Stars as well. (]Here's one of the more amusing scenes)
Hamtaro having arcs about death and some sexual stuff.
Sonic X as well, plus Sonic clearly saying "Shit" and other funny Engrish swears was amusing.

So as long as they're the 4Kids dubs, I guess they're okay.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6