• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Ozma

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danilo07

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 7:01 am Reply with quote
I agree with this review but I don't know I think this anime has heart and that creator was enjoying himself when he made it.I would give it B-.
nhat

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
Definitely will watch it since it's adapted from Leiji Matsumoto work. Hopefully it will come out state side.
Botan24

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 9:27 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
Definitely will watch it since it's adapted from Leiji Matsumoto work. Hopefully it will come out state side.

I assume you mean released via DVD? Because it's streaming on Crunchyroll.

In any case, I gotta agree with Theron's review minus the bit about the CGI. I still think it looks out of place. I'm no expert, but those purple military ships looked comical to me.
Stark700

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 11:27 am Reply with quote
Ye, it definitely felt like watching a movie and story was a bit rushed in. Average mini series imo and not something I'll remember by for a long time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:19 pm Reply with quote
This is quite a let down for the names attached to it. Yuuki's designs did no service to Matsumoto characters, the build-up and climax were uneventful, and the entire show just felt pointless. I'm not kidding when I say the only good Leiji anime since the early 80s has been Rintaro's Harlock OVA. Ozma wasn't awful, but neither was it exciting or interesting.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I've made this in joke before and I'll probably make it in the future. The show wasn't so bad, but it fell off a cliff at the very end. And no matter what they may claim, it couldn't recover.

Stupid magical ending with a generic environmental wish. Things simply didn't make sense at the end so things got too muddled.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:40 am Reply with quote
danilo07 wrote:
I agree with this review but I don't know I think this anime has heart and that creator was enjoying himself when he made it.I would give it B-.

Agreed, I thought the same, it was alright.

Some of the more memorable parts I especially got hooked by were Bainas who was awesome (and had a badass, familiar, design), and the excellent back-and-forth ship showdown of ep 2.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
This show has incredibly stupid, nonsensical plot. You could bear only three series, because authors certainly think of their viewers as of imbeciles. "C" mark for the story is very kind.
dtm42

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:11 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
This show has incredibly stupid, nonsensical plot. You could bear only three series, because authors certainly think of their viewers as of imbeciles. "C" mark for the story is very kind.

ANN is consistently too kind with the story grades.

Ozma has a weak, poorly-thought-out and barely-explained story to begin with, but what made it worse was how it was just one weak part in a series that was sub-par across the board. I think the most annoying part of the series were the characters. I hated the lot of them, and character development was non-existent.

Man, it's like the production committee went with a high-schooler's first draft, the writing is pathetic. Not that horrible a show overall, but it has some big issues.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1