• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Avatar: The Last Airbender = anime?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadow_Fox

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Is that considered a true anime? Sure it wasn't made in Japan, but it has a lot of Chinese/Japanese influence.
TranceLimit174

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:55 pm Reply with quote
No. It falls along the same lines as shows like Teen Titans and Totally Spies. They more or less have the look but truly aren't anime which is defined as animation made in Japan.
Mid-Boss

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 8:54 pm Reply with quote
Creators Mike DiMartino and Bryan Konietzko found inspiration in a host of influences, including Taoism, Buddhism, Chinese art, Japanese animation and Asian live-action films. Konietzko went the extra step, studying with a Northern Shaolin Kung Fu teacher to learn martial arts moves.

That's a bit about Avatar...

Anyway, the show, along with some other titles, aren't anime because they were created in America, France, Canada, and wherever else. Doesn't change how good the shows are, only defines where they weren't made.
Konan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 12:08 pm Reply with quote
Shadow_Fox wrote:
Is that considered a true anime? Sure it wasn't made in Japan, but it has a lot of Chinese/Japanese influence.

Well, it's animated at 4 or maybe 6 drawings-per-second, so I guess you could call it anime, if just for the extremely limited visual style.
DarkTenshi90

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:15 pm Reply with quote
Konan wrote:
Shadow_Fox wrote:

Well, it's animated at 4 or maybe 6 drawings-per-second, so I guess you could call it anime, if just for the extremely limited visual style.

Anime is what Japan refers to as cartoons. The translation came here as "Anime is animation specifically made in Japan." Truthfully, yes, anime is a cartoon and therefore, it is possible to consider Avatar to be an anime. Please, let's not have a long debate about "Noooz, animez is not cartoons" or "yez it iz." Anime dazed They get so troublesome.
Mugen The Great

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:57 pm Reply with quote
Konan wrote:
Shadow_Fox wrote:

That makes Ghost in the Shell in any form the opposite of "anime" and also qualifies Hanna-Barbera stuff as "anime".

Also, Avatar's action sequences have a very high frame rate. About 12 frames per second in some scenes. Similar to YYH in the varying quality of the animation.
ShadrachAnki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Depends on what sense of the term you want to use. In the Japanese sense--anything animated is anime--Avatar: the Last Airbender would be considered anime, as with any other cartoon.

However, outside of Japan the term anime is used to mean animated material coming from Japan (although some animation from Korea and China is also included by a lot of people). If that is the distinction you choose to use, then Avatar: the Last Airbender is not anime. It may draw inspiration from Asian sources, but it is originally American.

Personally, I just prefer to think of the series as a really good show and leave it at that.

~Shadrach Anki
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
AnimeEnthusiast

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:00 pm Reply with quote
ShadrachAnki wrote:
anime is used to mean animated material coming from Japan (although some animation from Korea and China is also included by a lot of people). If that is the distinction you choose to use, then Avatar: the Last Airbender is not anime. It may draw inspiration from Asian sources, but it is originally American.

Personally, I just prefer to think of the series as a really good show and leave it at that.

~Shadrach Anki

That is what is percived. But Anime literally means "Animation"
It's like what the Japanese call baseball.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
shirokiryuu

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:29 pm Reply with quote
AnimeEnthusiast wrote:
That is what is percived. But Anime literally means "Animation"
It's like what the Japanese call baseball.

Football is only called football in america, everywhere else it means soccer...

Even if "anime" means animation, it's a specific genre out of japan. (no matter the literal meaning)
therax

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:00 pm Reply with quote
ShadrachAnki wrote:
Depends on what sense of the term you want to use. In the Japanese sense--anything animated is anime--Avatar: the Last Airbender would be considered anime, as with any other cartoon.

However, outside of Japan the term anime is used to mean animated material coming from Japan (although some animation from Korea and China is also included by a lot of people). If that is the distinction you choose to use, then Avatar: the Last Airbender is not anime. It may draw inspiration from Asian sources, but it is originally American.

~Shadrach Anki

Actualy if you consider Korean Animation = Anime then it's Anime. Wink

"Avatar: The Last Airbender"'s animation (like a lot of Japanese Anime) was outsourced to Korea ( But I belive ths script is American)

YMMV (I hold the right to be wrong)
therax

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:57 am Reply with quote
Wow there is little info on this show. Just wanted to back up my statement that this show was writen in America but it is animated in Korea.

Found this snipet:
"• "A massive amount of work went into getting the animations just right. Tin House in Seoul is the best. For those not in the know Tin House did Wonderful Days/ Sky Blue in the US. They made our visions a reality in their powerful and unique methods of combining 2D, 3D, model miniatures and particle arrays. This has never been used in an animated series before. The speed, timing and geometry of the characters had to be just right and they worked very closely with traditionally trained martial artists. The animation and story board staff even went as far as participated in Northern Shaolim training and conditioning classes (bless their aching legs!) in an attempt to understand the essence of what they were drawing. The magical powers of all four tribes are firmly rooted in the Chi Gung traditions of Chinese martial arts as well as the geometries of movement stillness and transitions. "
Konan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Mugen The Great wrote:
That makes Ghost in the Shell in any form the opposite of "anime" and also qualifies Hanna-Barbera stuff as "anime".

Also, Avatar's action sequences have a very high frame rate. About 12 frames per second in some scenes. Similar to YYH in the varying quality of the animation.

Ummm....like Disney, Hanna-Barbera animates at 12 frames per second most of the time, 24 frames per second during pans. However, the animation is still extremely limited, despite the high frame rate. Ghost in the Shell is mostly animated at 8 frames per second, sometimes 12 frames or 24 frames per second, but the animation is still much fuller than Hanna-Barbera, despite the low frame rate.

[No all-bolded posts or I start deleting without question. -Nagi]
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:11 am Reply with quote
I'll say the same thing I did in the hundred other topics just like this:

In somewhere other than Japan, by definition Avatar is not Anime. Anime is defined as animation from Japan. (specifically animation made by a Japanese company.) It is done in an Anime-style though.

In Japan it would be considered Anime, because there, Anime is defined as simply animation. I dont really see why you would go by this definition though since we arent in Japan.

Battosai7088 wrote:
this is the thing, avatar is anime but its not Japanimation

This is an interesting view on it. From a non-Japanese point of view, this statement is incorrect. It is both Anime and Japanimation, as both refer to animation from Japan.

From a Japanese point of view though Its sorta correct. It is Anime (meaning simply animation) but it is not Japanimation (meaning animation from Japan). Although the term doesnt really exist in Japan as it would be redundant.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:06 am Reply with quote
No sense dragging this debate or this thread up again.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:09 am Reply with quote
Jeez, now you lock it after I went through the trouble of pruning it Anime smallmouth...
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1