• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - FUNi Games

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lheiskell
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:11 am Reply with quote
In that picture, I'm the guy in the white shirt.

Lance Heiskell
"Director of Clarification"
FUNimation Entertainment

Don't forget to bombard @adultswim on Twitter today about #PantyandStocking
(bug and bombard, bug and bombard-my friends if you want the show on broadcast)

Last edited by lheiskell on Fri May 18, 2012 11:15 am; edited 1 time in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes, boobs are selling. More news at 100. But you know what? I LIKE boobs show. Someone license Qwaser!
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Justin--

Congrats on the Apple TV. Didn't think I'd use mine -- I bought it because I'm an iOS developer and had to support AirPlay in a client's app -- but as you point out, Crunchyroll → Apple TV via AirPlay is the current Best Thing Ever.

Also, my 10-year-old autistic son is learning all sorts of inappropriate behavior from watching pirated episodes of Ed, Edd, n Eddy that have been posted to YouTube, but that's another story.

Anyways, I just checked, and the Funimation Free app for iPhone does indeed stream to the AppleTV. Once you're playing, look for the AirPlay button (an HDTV-like rectangle with an triangle pointing into it) in the top toolbar… not next to the scrubber where it usually is. I tested with Pani Poni Dash streaming from an iPhone (first show I randomly scrolled to… don't judge me) and got it on the HDTV easily.

Also, an inconsistent mix of the shows Funimation has put on YouTube are available directly through the Apple TV's own YouTube app. I found Spice and Wolf and Mushi-shi, but not Baccano! and Rumbling Hearts, all of which are available via youtube.com on a computer. So… win some, lose some.

[Edit: my bad, Baccano! isn't on youtube.com. Must have been thinking of Hulu. Point still stands for the other shows though]

Last edited by invalidname on Fri May 18, 2012 1:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:15 pm Reply with quote
A bit disappointing that we get 39 minutes in, finally get to the question on Funico, and the answer is basically "We can't comment". The only real information that seemed to be revealed is that it was declared the relationship still exists.
qollocust

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad they talked about the mobile app. I was just looking at it on my iPad last night and debating buying it. I actually came to ANN today to see if anyone else had used it and it was worth it. The free app is obviously the iPhone version stretched for the iPad but I'm glad to hear a full iPad version is in the works.

I live off free apps, but $10 for access to Funi shows streaming is worth it to me.
Arsenette

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Dammit.. forgot to ask my question.. wanted to know about if they were ever planning on releasing the rest of the xxxholic series. I guess I have to wait until later in the year/next time to ask. Embarassed
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
Interesting podcast, also lol'd when they called the "pandering" genres were the best sellers. Gotta respect honesty like that, lol.

Also happy to know that they want to get Panty & Stocking on [Adult Swim] I for one fully support it, but i'm bias as i'm pretty much up for anything by GAINAX getting on TV, lol.

But yeah, interesting podcast. Looking forward to seeing what shows they announce over the summer.

Oh and hope the new Lupin III series gets good enough stream numbers to get a physical release.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm curious to know when the release dates for C –Control The Money and Soul of Possibility and Deadman Wonderland will be announced.I'm assuming they will be announced sometime this fall and I was hoping they would mention how the sales have been for The Sacred Star of Milos film but I'm sure the sales have been excellent so far.License announcements always peak my interest so lets hope its something unexpected and worthwhile!
Veers

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:36 pm Reply with quote
So, on the comment about HD Mushishi, does that mean we can expect a BD release some time? :o

Edit: Never mind, got to the end of podcast where this came up in twitter questions. :(

Last edited by Veers on Fri May 18, 2012 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:38 pm Reply with quote
It's great to hear that FUNi is occassionally willing to try something that isn't "boobs" or "shonen" out, because "there's got to be a fan for it out there", but at the same time I get annoyed that FUNi is never (... ever!) going to license a sports anime again after Big Windup!'s failure; stuff like Kuroko's Basketball, Inazuma Eleven, Giant Killing, One Outs, Ring ni Kakero 1, or even Moshidora won't ever bear the FUNimation logo, I guess. It's a shame, but I guess actually watching sports anime is too much of a foreign idea to anime fans still...
... But, hey, FUNimation continually licenses more Sengoku BASARA anime, which I have full-heartedly supported so far and will continue to support when the movie gets released, so it's not like I have nothing positive to say about FUNimation. I can't hate on FUNi for the overall tastes of anime fans, afterall.

Also, kind of surprising to hear that the new Yu Yu Hakusho release took so long to license... Probably doesn't bode well for the other movie coming over within the next year, at most, if FUNi started looking into licensing it right now.
jlaking

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
Arsenette wrote:
Dammit.. forgot to ask my question.. wanted to know about if they were ever planning on releasing the rest of the xxxholic series. I guess I have to wait until later in the year/next time to ask. Embarassed

FUNi has said that they have no plans to dub anymore xxxHolic.
LUNI_TUNZ

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:47 pm Reply with quote
I'm listening to it now - when do they get to the part about releasing Milky Holmes?
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
jlaking wrote:
Arsenette wrote:

FUNi has said that they have no plans to dub anymore xxxHolic.
Well, no, not necessarily. They never said that they WON'T pick up the rest of xxxHolic and dub it; it's just a very low chance of doing so since the first season did poorly. There's still that slim chance of it getting picked up.

Of course, there's also a chance the rest of it could get the "Hell Girl" treatment and get picked up by Sentai Filmworks as well. It'd just be awesome if, at this time, we'd get more of an answer since it's now well over a year and a half since I asked that question, and the first season of xxxHolic has since gotten re-released (granted as a SAVE collection, but still).
xScar

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Veers wrote:
So, on the comment about HD Mushishi, does that mean we can expect a BD release some time? Surprised

Mushishi hit the SAVE line. I wouldn't expect anymore out of it, sadly. It is such a wonderful series too.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Aura Ichadora wrote:
Well, no, not necessarily. They never said that they WON'T pick up the rest of xxxHolic and dub it; it's just a very low chance of doing so since the first season did poorly. There's still that slim chance of it getting picked up.

It's been nearly two years since Lance made that comment. I highly doubt that it's going to happen at this point, at least via FUNimation.

Quote:
the first season of xxxHolic has since gotten re-released (granted as a SAVE collection, but still).

This alone should tell you that xxxHolic Season 2 won't be licensed by FUNi. A title goes to S.A.V.E. when it's nearing the end of it's license & FUNi feels that it has no more to offer them, so they sell it for super-cheap. FUNi is giving up on xxxHolic at this point, so I'd say that it's time to start contacting Sentai about Season 2.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5