• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavy lag / "hiccup" using Google Chrome 19.0.1084.46

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Before yesterday I was using Google Chrome 18.0.1025.168 for months and everything was fine. However, ever since Chrome had updated itself to 19.0.1084.46 yesterday, using it on ANN became a pain in the neck: sometimes it takes 3-5 seconds to show the cursor after clicking on the text box; page file boasting to 1.5GB or larger with just a few tabs; CPU boasting to 70% or even 100% just scrolling a text-based page e.g. forum index. Anyone has similar problems?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
The moment I logged out and closed ANN's tab, the page file dropped from 1.7GB to 0.8GB immediately; none of any other website I visit has this dramatic "effect." I wonder if Chrome 19 is not friendly with either phpBB2 or Ruby on Rail.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
I'm using the same build right now and not getting this problem. Any addons?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Open this page in Chrome: chrome://memory-redirect/

It will show you what exactly is using the memory.

Look for an item using massive amounts of memory. There's a simpler version of this that you can get by pressing <shift>-<esc>.

FWIW, I'm using Chrome 19.0.1084.46 m and I have no similar problem. The tab for ANN is using 65megs.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 1:45 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
FWIW, I'm using Chrome 19.0.1084.46 m and I have no similar problem. The tab for ANN is using 65megs.

A stunning gargantuan 504MB. Shocked For comparison, I opened a tab for CNN International and allowed its Flash ads to run, resulting only 34MB. As you can see there's no other tab at all.

While grabbing this screencap, the CPU usage for ANN's tab surged to ~50% for a few seconds, yet I wasn't even touching the browser at the moment. Rolling Eyes

For the record, my system is WinXP Home SP3 on Intel N270 (msi Wind U100).

ADDENDUM: I logged out and re-logged in. In less than 10 mouse clicks in the forum, the memory usage increased from a mere 16MB to ~50MB. A few more clicks of the Encyclopedia and some backstage tasks and now I have ~100MB! Adding two DVD releases for the Encyclopedia gave me 50MB more. Thus it's not surprising to add up to ~500MB within an hour.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
If doing things on ANN is what is causing it, then it's probably a cache problem. As everyone else on Chrome 19 has noted: it appears to just be you. You could test to see if Chrome 19 is at fault by switching to Chrome 20.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Rhyono wrote:
If doing things on ANN is what is causing it, then it's probably a cache problem. As everyone else on Chrome 19 has noted: it appears to just be you. You could test to see if Chrome 19 is at fault by switching to Chrome 20.

I cleared everything "from the beginning of time" but the "ballooning" effect still exists (typing and previewing this very post added 7MB to the memory). In the mean time (before a new version of Chrome released) I'll just close the tab periodically.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Well, I just checked my Chrome for updates so I'll let you know in a minute...

--edit--

Everything seems normal so far. I am up to 190MB so far though for a few ANN tabs, and closing the others only frees up 5MB. It's not something I've paid close attention so I don't know if this is in any way abnormal. Crunchyroll is taking 35MB (forgot I paused a video 24 hours ago, until it suddenly started playing when the browser relaunched) and Twitter, which dragged my old PC down a lot, 60MB.

--edit--

Spoke too soon:
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 10:41 am Reply with quote
I spend some time later today or tomorrow doing some similar work as you guys to see if I can replicate the problem.

So far the only people reporting it are using the staff-side of the site, so it may have to do with the code that runs for staff.

Edit: Shiroi, Dormcat, are you using fast or admin ?

-t
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:05 pm Reply with quote
tempest wrote:
Edit: Shiroi, Dormcat, are you using fast or admin?

I've been using admin for the past seven years; I only use www when admin goes offline or unstable. Unlike Shiroi, who started as a subscriber before being drafted, I never have access to the fast server (manually entering the URL would be redirected to the www server).
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
After a whole lot of clicking I managed to arrive near 300MB, but it's slow going. Like the others, I can't really see a major memory explosion. Unless I get a reproducible error report I can't really fix anything. And even them, memory issues sounds like a thorny problem to solve.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 1:22 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a subscriber at the moment due to lack of funds. I think I was mostly on the www server last night since I was mostly just entering data and reading the forums.
I tried keeping an eye on resource monitor and there was a fair amount of disk activity, but I'd have to do the same during a typical browsing session to know if there was anything abnormal.

One web-based application we used where I used to work would take something like 200MB in IE6 before you even logged in. Our machines has 196MB of physical RAM, and multiple other applications that needed to be loaded...
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
I was playing around with the developer tools which can tell you a lot about what the browser is doing, although I can't make sense of most of it. There's a tool to take a heap snapshot which "shows memory distribution among javascript objects" and.. it either crashes of fails since the maximum heap size is 256MB.

If you close the tab with the huge memory footprint then do "reopen closed tab" it loads at a sensible size (under 30MB). Every time I refresh the page it adds around 10MB, and this is just on the front page of the forum. It does the same on Twitter but levels off at 130MB. I've yet to reach the ceiling for ANN.

I've had problems with Chrome builds before, although not usually the stable. I had to stop using the beta on my old machine because it would gun my CPU at full pelt just displaying about:blank in incognito mode.
I'm thinking of installing Canary to see if this is something that has already been fixed further down the line.

--edit--

Seems to be plain sailing in Canary (build 21.0.1141.0). I've done some browsing and some editing and I have five ANN tabs sitting at 35-85MB each. Since I have a problem and a non-problem build running SXS I can try to see what is behaving differently but since later unstable builds don't have the problem it will presumably go away eventually anyway.
camb8831

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 1:00 am Reply with quote
I'm using Chrome 19.0.1084.52 (on fast.ani...) and the text from several of the articles is missing (The X Button, RIGHT TURN ONLY!!! and several others). Looks fine in IE9, but is strangely placed with blank space where the text should appear. Text in the header bars, etc., is also missing. I'm not the expert several of the users here appear to be, so I can't really tell where the problem may be.

I do not see the high load problems in the Chrome Task Manager mentioned earlier.

I'm not looking especially for a personal solution but am rather trying to alert someone to a possible problems. I'll be clearing out cache, etc., a bit later to see if it helps.
Saffire

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 8:07 am Reply with quote
Are you using the https connection? I get display issues like what you're describing when I use that and don't let it show insecure content, but otherwise it shows up fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2