• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Battle B-Daman off of ABC Family, remains on Toon Disney

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Why would they pull something right before the last episode? If they're going to pull something off the air, why not wait just one more time?
Tribblewing

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I mistakenly thought this article was talking about Bomberman Bidaman Bakugaiden (TV) (a.k.a. - the Bomberman anime).

I'd really like to know how popular this could be if they brought it over to the States. This show was a huge hit in Hong Kong, alongside Pocket Monsters, when I visited in 2002(?).

(Related Tangent: The HK subway also had a some kind of card points system, where they gave away Pocket Monsters plushies.)
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:24 pm Reply with quote
Tribblewing wrote:
I mistakenly thought this article was talking about Bomberman Bidaman Bakugaiden (TV) (a.k.a. - the Bomberman anime).

I'd really like to know how popular this could be if they brought it over to the States. This show was a huge hit in Hong Kong, alongside Pocket Monsters, when I visited in 2002(?).

(Related Tangent: The HK subway also had a some kind of card points system, where they gave away Pocket Monsters plushies.)

I doubt it would be as popular as Pokemon if the were to bring it to the US. The Pokemon games are far more popular than bomberman games in the US. Then again alot of the reason the games are so popular is because of the anime, so I don't know maybe it could stand a chance.
Nebs

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I remember when ABC Family aired the 2nd-to-last ep of Medabots, right before Jetix took over & revamped the line-up. To this day, I have yet to see the final episode of Medabots....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
remember love

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Tribblewing wrote:

Wait...there was an actual show from the game bomberman???
Cool.I would of liked to seen that ...I loved playing bomberman on the ninentendo back in the day.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 6:28 pm Reply with quote
This is actually good news for weekends. I loved X-Men.
Emerje

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:03 pm Reply with quote
Darn it, I don't get Toon Disney...

I know Battle B-Daman is about as kiddy as it gets and is really nothing more than a long winded toy commercial, but something about this series made it very enjoyable and one of my regular recordings on my DVR. I just finished watching the recording of last Saturdays episode a moment ago only to find this in the news... Geeze, it was really getting good too. Rolling Eyes

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:23 pm Reply with quote
They did this to make sure you watch Toon Disney on the Disney channel, it makes the overall viewership for Disney's cable channel go up.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Aresef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
They did this to make sure you watch Toon Disney on the Disney channel, it makes the overall viewership for Disney's cable channel go up.

This seems to be TD's newest experiment. Power Rangers, for example, airs a week earlier on TD than on ABCFam (of course, PR isn't a cartoon, which makes its inclusion mind-boggling).
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Actually, since I submitted this article to ANN, it has been revealed that Battle B-Daman has also been taken off of Toon Disney and has been replaced by Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends. My guess is that Jetix and Hasbro are having some sort of contract dispute, but I can't prove that, but why else would they pull a show off after 51 episdoes when a second season has already been created?
LazerBlader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quote
XtremeAnimeDan wrote:
Actually, since I submitted this article to ANN, it has been revealed that Battle B-Daman has also been taken off of Toon Disney and has been replaced by Spider-Man And His Amazing Friends. My guess is that Jetix and Hasbro are having some sort of contract dispute, but I can't prove that, but why else would they pull a show off after 51 episdoes when a second season has already been created?

Hasbro does not manage rights for Battle B-Daman; d-rights does. A contract dispute between d-rights and jetix? Perhaps. The show and the toys don't seem wildly popular right now; the Beyblade toys sold a lot more and the anime had higher ratings. B-Daman however is wildly popular in the UK; with the Tournament Set being one of the top toys for this holiday season over there.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 2:41 am Reply with quote
Hasbro actually licensed battle B-Daman in the US for the dub and the toys, and if you watch the closing credits, they are recognized as the licensed dealer. d-rights own the rights to the series creation, but Hasbro owns the right to the dub. That is why you can find some of the Battle B-Daman episodes at the Hasbro website: http://www.hasbro.com/action/default.cfm?page=brand&brand_id=764
Wyvern

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:54 am Reply with quote
Disney has some kind of problem with final episodes. They seem to think that if kids see a show coming to an end, they'll never watch it again, and they want to be able to play repeats of the same old episodes in different orders over and over again, so kids can see repeats of episodes they missed and think they're new, or something. They've been doing this ever since they first started doing TV animation-all thier shows never had any sort of closure, they just stopped and went into endless reruns. Apparentally Disney can't comprehend why anime producers would actually give a show a proper conclusion.

EDIT:
I forgot that four original Disney shows (out of about thirty-five or so) have gotten finales, but three of those endings (for Aladdin, Kim Possible, and Lilo and Stitch) were done up as direct-to-video movies, not episodes, and only the Aladdin finale was marketed as such. As far as I can tell, Doug is the only Disney series to actually have a final episode within the series itself.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:25 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
Disney has some kind of problem with final episodes. They seem to think that if kids see a show coming to an end, they'll never watch it again, and they want to be able to play repeats of the same old episodes in different orders over and over again, so kids can see repeats of episodes they missed and think they're new, or something. They've been doing this ever since they first started doing TV animation-all thier shows never had any sort of closure, they just stopped and went into endless reruns. Apparentally Disney can't comprehend why anime producers would actually give a show a proper conclusion.

EDIT:
I forgot that four original Disney shows (out of about thirty-five or so) have gotten finales, but three of those endings (for Aladdin, Kim Possible, and Lilo and Stitch) were done up as direct-to-video movies, not episodes, and only the Aladdin finale was marketed as such. As far as I can tell, Doug is the only Disney series to actually have a final episode within the series itself.

That's not entirely true though. All of the Power Rangers series get full fledged endings. W.I.T.C.H. season 1 had a good ending. They went back and aired all of Shinzo on ABC Family twice and many more times on Toon Disney. Heck, even Digimon had all of it's episodes shown multiple times. To make your theory be thrown out the window though, Battle B-Daman already has a second season made (of 52 episodes), so it wouldn't be the series finale, only the season finale. They have shown season finales even when they haven't always shown the series finales. It was my hopes that they would respect anime more when they became Jetix, but them pulling Beyblade from ABC Family before it finished airing and now pulling Battle B-Daman destroys those possibilities.
Aresef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, not only did they show all the Digimon eps, they went back and dubbed the movies. And with PR, I remember once they had a marathon of previous season finales. It's not fear of showing finales, it's something else.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2