• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Going Commando

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kohii

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 11:42 pm Reply with quote
I don't think any other publisher besides Vertical would've licensed Flowers of Evil, and that's why I love those guys.

The biggest drawback to AnH/FoE was the art. But I don't agree with Santos about the characters being "difficult to like"
sainta

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 9:55 am Reply with quote
Quote:
one of the key players just happens to be the author who created Sherlock Holmes

Is that really Arthur Conan Doyle? I thought about it but Doyle is supposed to be married in 1888 and he only mentions having siblings.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 12:58 pm Reply with quote
I'm wondering if Santos has read the previous Toriko volumes? I remember some of the complaints about the Century Soup arc were that there was too much talking and not enough action.
Bingal

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:38 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned, Bleach is the poster child of ''how to not draw a manga.'' Toriko, for all it's quirky aesthetics and beefcake ''manly man,'' at least understands that for a silly shounen fighting manga to work, it requires more imagination than just uninspired (not to mention, oversized) blank panels, ink blobs and overdone cinematic techniques that always amount to ''watch out there's someone attacking from behind, oh the terror!'' ad nauseam.

And most importantly, the author, although not gifted with an absurd amount of talent, isn't a lazy hack. That alone makes me appreciate it more than all the soulless dreck Kubo comes up with every week.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 2:44 pm Reply with quote
*Runs over pedestrian* OMG are you Stephen King? 'No, I'm Dean Coontz' Oh... *backs car over Coontz, Drives off, running over the hapless coontz again*
dragon695

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Toriko is crap, the D is well deserved. It was kind of lampshaded in HxH why these so-called exotic food hunters are lame. Toriko is just one-step worse.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:46 am Reply with quote
It must be some pretty good crap then if it managed to crack the top 3 in Shueisha's popularity polls.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1