• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
What are you watching right now? Why? (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 10:32 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
And I absolutely will. I suspect I will end up liking it. However if I don't, I will absolutely blame you. Wink

It's certainly worth it, but like all anime that aBe is involved with it requires the viewer to be in a certain kind of mood.

Quote:
It is very good. And if it weren't for the tedious Indian cos-player and friends it would be even better!

I wish I could rate it higher, because the potential is there.

I'm also seriously in love with the music, including the OP Shocked
Botan24

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
You're a fan of Dola too? I'm glad! She is one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite movies, and I only hope to be half as awesome and spry as her when I'm an old geezer. Anime hyper

Oh yeah, she is definitely my favorite character from Castle in the Sky. I have to wonder though...is the entire crew all her children? Or are some maybe grandkids? Because there is no way she popped out all those guys...she certainly wouldn't be as spry! But, while Castle in the Sky is good, My Neighbor Totoro is still my favorite Ghibli. Thus far anyway, I haven't yet seen the Oscar winning Spirited Away, or even Nausicaa which I hear great things about too.
V1046-R

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Been going old school recently to catch up on a few DVDs I bought on impulse but never got around to watching...

Just finished Bubblegum Crisis 2040. This is a remake of original Bubblegum Crisis, with synopsis saying something like this is more edgier re-invisioning of the original show. For the first half, I kept waiting for the "edgier version", but it felt too much like the original in story, & not leaps & bounds better in animation. However, the show does improve from the original greatly in the second half, when having established characters and casting aside filler material, it gets deeper into the story behind the Night Saber's leader Sylia & the origin of their enemies - The Boomers. Good classic anime sci fi towards the end with bigger than life heros & enemies clashing in that final climactic battle that determines the fate of the world. Pretty good animation overall if you like that more "artsy" style of hand drawn cel animation from the 90's (which I do). It felt like it had a very satisfying ending to me, which isn't always the case in anime.

The other show was a bargain $15 pick up at a local store I never heard of, and almost finished watching - Space Pirate Mito. This seems more geared towards kids, with lots of wacky alien characters, and general anime wierdness throughout, but keeping it at a campy fun level. At first I thought it was another 15 bucks down the drain, but then lo & behold I am totally into the story about a young boy who suddenly finds out his mother who he thought was away as an international supermodel is really an alien pirate wanted throughout the galaxy. For a show that is intentionally silly & geared to younger audience, they did a pretty great job telling the story & building up real tension with cliffhangers to end each episode. However, you have to like the old school animation to enjoy, and not be put off by some scenes with cheap looking 1990's CGI for spaceship battles. Not a great show, but not a waste of time either watching a few episodes at a time.
Tris8

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Botan24 wrote:
Oh yeah, she is definitely my favorite character from Castle in the Sky. I have to wonder though...is the entire crew all her children? Or are some maybe grandkids? Because there is no way she popped out all those guys...she certainly wouldn't be as spry!
Lol! Anime hyper That has crossed my mind too. I wonder how many of them there are, at least 6!
Botan24 wrote:
But, while Castle in the Sky is good, My Neighbor Totoro is still my favorite Ghibli. Thus far anyway, I haven't yet seen the Oscar winning Spirited Away, or even Nausicaa which I hear great things about too.
Castle in the Sky is definitely my favorite Ghibli for its adventure, with Nausicca and Princess Mononoke tied for 2nd. Spirited Away is also really good, with great character growth for the lead Chihiro. I like My Neighbor Totoro, but it was a little long for me for a story that didn't really have a plot. I love the feeling of magic and wonder that it has though, as many of his films have.
kaydub

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:22 am Reply with quote
I started watching Durarara!! the other day and I am enjoying it so far. It was between that and Baccano!, and I figured I'd go with DRRR since I heard it was a little less off-the-wall than Baccano and I didn't want to get overwhelmed and possibly turned off. I think I'm gonna try Baccano next though since I'm digging DRRR a lot.
Errinundra

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:59 am Reply with quote
Tris8 wrote:
...You're a fan of Dola too? I'm glad! She is one of my favorite characters in one of my favorite movies, and I only hope to be half as awesome and spry as her when I'm an old geezer. Anime hyper

I'm also a Dola fan. She's one of my favourite Miyazaki characters (just behind Porco and Lady Eboshi) even though Castle in the Sky isn't a favourite film. Maybe I just like his older characters. Smile

Spice and Wolf Season 2

After watching the first season on the Funimation YouTube site earlier this month and subsequently buying both seasons, I have now watched both right through three times, once via the Japanese dub (with subs) and twice more via the American dub. I'll say right off that the American dub is perfectly adequate. Both J Michael Tatum as Lawrence and Brina Palencia as Holo capture the character and shifting emotional nuances of their speech. Brina Palencia also speaks in the formal, archaic way expected of the ancient wolf goddess, if not in the dialect used by the original seiyuu. No-one else in the two seasons has an ongoing role so any shortcomings in the other American voice actors aren't of critical importance. In future, the American dub will be my version of choice.

Getting down to the actual second season, it's as if the makers (and the novelist, Isuna Hasekura) have realised along with the rest of us that it's not the fantasy elements or the action sequences that make this franchise so magical. Everything that is so good about it can be summed up in two words: Holo and Lawrence. I cannot think of another pair I've seen in anime who interact so entertainingly. They're better than entertaining - they're utterly enthralling. The relationship has become even deeper since the first series: throughout their sparring you can see that each is exploring what they mean to each other and how far they can probe the feelings of the other. It reaches its zenith at the beginning of episode 9 where, in an extended scene as they walk to Rigoro's house, they discuss jealousy, dominance, self-loathing, projection, desire and how many men Holo has known. It has become my favourite verbal sequence in anime.

How many men? Lawrence doesn't want to know.

Beneath the banter, it is clear that they care very much for each other. If necessary they will do everything they humanly (or otherwise in Holo's case) can for travelling companion. In both story arcs, the viewer would do well to remember that. Unlike the first season, where the tension is created by Lawrence's economic miscalculations, the two stories revolve around threats to their relationship. In the first, following a row with Holo, Lawrence finds himself replaced by an interloper. In the second, Holo becomes the marriage collateral - at her own insistence it must be said - in a deal that goes badly wrong.

Overall the second series is a small step up from the already excellent first series. It's not only because of the growth in the relationship of the protagonists or in the stories revolving around that relationship. The music is even more appropriate to the setting and the writing generally snappier. On the downside, the antagonist in the first arc - Amarty - is irritating, and the resolution of the marriage crises in the second arc is just a little too pat. The ending had me wanting more - whether that is a good or bad thing I'm not sure, given there is no more to be had. I would love to know what they will find at Yoitz. The translation of the first novel to go beyond the two anime series is being published next month. In the absence of a third series I guess I'll have to buy the novel.

Rating: excellent. I may upgrade both seasons to masterpiece should I find myself remaining this enamoured in the future. Time will be the test.

Read or Die (OAV)

I watched this entirely because of the current "Best First Episode" tournament and because it's only three episodes long.

The initial appeal of this short series comes from the improbable action sequences. Mild mannered Yomiko Readman and saucy Hyatt* lookalike Nancy Makuhari ply their superhuman abilities (transforming paper and passing through solid objects, respectively) to great effect and considerable entertainment. The animation is fluid and the colour palette very pleasing on the eye. Although it isn't apparent immediately, Yomiko (aka The Paper) is a terrific heroine: unassuming, absent-minded and unselfish (except when it comes to her precious books) but utterly sure of her own abilities. Nancy didn't grow on me in quite the same way but that's to be expected given her role in the plot. Watching the OAV the second time I noticed the constant hints about her true nature that were, of course, meaningless first time around. I always appreciate that sort of po-faced humour.

Perhaps the best ever use of the Statue of Liberty as a prop.

Despite the appeal of the action sequences they do fall flat in a dramatic sense. This seems to be due to two factors: the action flows continuously without punctuated climaxes. Good directors pause before the "big" moment so that the climax is all the more effective when it happens. The problem is then exacerbated by the music, remiscent of 1960s British lounge jazz, which I'm sure is intended to complement the other British elements, but that, by its nature, avoids climaxes.

To be honest, though, Read or Die is fairy floss (American readers can figure out for themselves what that is in their language) - very sweet and lacking substance. I must admit to a sweet tooth, though. I suspect in ten years time, however, I'll struggle to remember what it was all about.

Rating: good

* From Excel Saga.

Last edited by Errinundra on Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 2:59 am Reply with quote
@V1046-R
Mito! Mito! Sail on the night!
I have deep affection for it. Partly, I must admit, for the opening song. But not wholly.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
Finally finished Gunslinger Girl after like 5 years attempting to watch it. Seriously. I purchased the first set to come out in the U.S., watched one episode, and then attempted to finish it at least twice a year. I usually end up falling asleep...

It's slow, but pretty good. I remember the animation looking substantially better when I first started watching it. I wouldn't say that it looks cheap compared to more recent titles, but the animation style and character designs aren't really my thing. I found it interesting, but nothing more than that. I felt as if I should have had a stronger connection to some of the girls so that I would actually "feel" something for them, but I didn't. It's alright. Definitely not worth a lot of the hype in my opinion.

Edit
I guess I should also mention that I kinda flopped back and forth between English and Japanese audio tracks, but never removing the subtitles. There seem to be odd translations at work in this one. I didn't care for how the subtitles were completely different in some cases from the dialogue. It made me wonder which was closer to the original translation and how much of it was being "Westernized".

Also - I love the opening song. By far, the best part of the show.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
I've recently checked out Welcome to the NHK and I really, really, really love it.

It's quirky, touching, and I can empathize with Satou a lot. It's sometimes so comforting to think "as crap as I can be with social interaction, at least I'll never be as crap as Satou..."
Fifth B

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 3:26 pm Reply with quote
I marathoned Clannad and After Story over the last few days. As much as I dig the series, I've always had split feelings on it. I really like Kotomi and Fuko, but their arcs really are pointless, and as much as I enjoy the more slice-of-life aspects of the first season, it is at it's best from around episode 15 onward, when the cast is actually cohesive and striving towards a goal. After Story is significantly better than the first season, but again, only after the filler arcs at the beginning are over. Not that I don't appreciate the attempts by the writers to develop the rather large cast. Episode 18 still makes me bawl like a wee child, and is probably the best individual scene that Key Visual Arts has ever produced, although I still enjoy Kanon more than any other moe show overall. Clannad is probably the most blatantly manipulative of these shows, but hey, I think it's damn good and clever manipulation.

Last edited by Fifth B on Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:00 am; edited 1 time in total
infiltration.cru

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:18 pm Reply with quote
dandelion_rose wrote:
I've recently checked out Welcome to the NHK and I really, really, really love it.

It's quirky, touching, and I can empathize with Satou a lot. It's sometimes so comforting to think "as crap as I can be with social interaction, at least I'll never be as crap as Satou..."

Also, I think that the characterization is really good. I mean, unlike in many of these vaguely otaku-themed series, the MC is actually a character. Not a trope, a type or a big stinking ball of cliché but instead has a personality.
The way the show built up this captivating climax really surprised me. It was good enough before that but the final bit of it is just so good.
Bento-Box

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:33 pm Reply with quote
Other than the slew of stuff out right now...

Genshiken 2 - Watched the first one an eternity ago. It's about time I got around to this one. It has motivated me to start working on the second book of my graphic novel. I was concerned that I wouldn't like the new cast members, but they're pretty endearing. Definitely enjoying this. It's a nice change of pace after finishing Gunslinger Girl and amidst all of these other "serious" things I'm watching. (More along the lines of things I'm taking too seriously... but aren't really serious at all...)

Mirai Nikki - Saw this mentioned on the Sex thread. (I know...) Clicked on a link in said thread to a funny video. Could not resist. It has good ratings, similar themes to what my husband and I enjoy so we're watching it together. We're on episode 3 or 4 now and holy *bleeping* hell.

Briefly of the currently airing shows:

Recorder & Randsell - Looks like it's finally starting to resolve around episode 21? Maybe? Not that funny anymore.

PoyoPoyo - Still loving it! Poyo is too adorable!

Kids on The Slope - Jazz, Musicians, Drama. Watanabe & Yoko Kanno. I freaking love it! Questions?

Tsuritama - Unexpectedly awesome. Reminds me a lot of FLCL in a strange way. I find myself really looking forward to it each week.

Sankarea - Funny, a little creepy, slightly demented. Interesting plot progression. I'm enjoying it about as much as I thought I would, although it's different than expected.

Dusk Maiden of Amnesia - It stalled a little bit, but it's definitely back on track. Really look forward to this one each week but episodes are a bit hit or miss. Love the animation. Glad to see darker themes starting to kick in.

Polar Bear's Cafe - Picked this up because I can't stop seeing it all over the internet. So far, a few laughs. A bit behind but I'll probably catch up this week.

Space Brothers - Great cliff hangers, great plot, slow as mud sometimes. This show always gets me excited and leaves me hanging. I'm hoping that they start resolving plot points soon. Inspirational.

Kore Wa Zombie Desu Ka - Husband and I are watching this together. We're waiting on all of it to get released before finishing. We're starting to lose interest in the same running gags. I hear that it gets good about halfway through, so I'm looking forward to that.

Medaka Box - I feel like this is Sket Dance without all the loud obnoxious screaming. It's losing my interest quickly. I'm still awaiting that "good part".

Bodacious Space Pirates - Dropped at episode 12. It bores me. There are plenty of other interesting feel good shows with better plots and stories out right now.

Nyarko, Another Crawling Chaos - Ugh. This show. It was getting to be a chore to watch. So, it got dropped at episode 6 as well. I didn't get a lot of the jokes, didn't care for the MC or anyone in the series.

Mysterious Girlfriend X - Ok. This show is special. Like "S-P-E-C-I-A-L". It's gross, awkward, and somehow still delightfully interesting and entertaining? I'm really not sure how I keep watching it considering I cringe every time someone exchanges spit.

Hiiro no Kakera - I'm not sure why I'm still watching it. It's SO BORING! It's like, I keep watching because I "think" it's going to get good because I can't imagine that they would waste such a beautifully animated show on such mundane garbage.

Knight in the Area - I'm starting to learn why people hate Sports Anime. This series is starting to get silly with all of its ridiculousness. Although, I'm sure other sports shows are vastly more far-stretched and unbelievable. Animation quality seems to be going downhill.

That's about it for now... for now.
Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
V1046-R

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:00 pm Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
@V1046-R
Mito! Mito! Sail on the night!
I have deep affection for it. Partly, I must admit, for the opening song. But not wholly.

Oh yeah, that song sticks in my brain after hearing it.

Finished season one, and started watching the second season Aoi & Mutsuki, A Pair of Queens I'm happy to see this show just get wierder as it goes. Laughing
Tris8

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
I was in one of those moods I get in every once in a while; I want to start something, but nothing sounds good, even titles I've really wanted to see for awhile. So to counter this I picked a genre (comedy in this case), closed my eyes and randomly scrolled around, deciding that whatever my mouse landed on I'd watch. It landed on Hanamaru Kindergarten, a show I'd never heard of.

I almost decided to back out, as a slice-of-life show about toddlers sounded horridly boring, but I watched it anyway and it was pretty cute and funny. Anzo is about 4 y.o., and falls in love with her kindergarten teacher and pursues him persistently. What I liked about this show was that it was funny and light-hearted throughout. It is a silly show and never pretends to be something it isn't. Anzo's adoration of Tsuchi is innocent and adorable. I found the ridiculous parts to be entertaining too (how Anzo comes over to Tsuchi's house to attempt to cook & clean for him, or how she's allowed to wander outside by herself at the tender age of ~4, how her friend Hiiragi is smarter than the teacher). The ending song and sequences changed for every episode, and I really enjoyed the way the peppy but not spotlight-stealing background music set the tone.
A good light and fluffy series that had some good laughs in it.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:53 am Reply with quote
infiltration.cru wrote:
dandelion_rose wrote:

Also, I think that the characterization is really good. I mean, unlike in many of these vaguely otaku-themed series, the MC is actually a character. Not a trope, a type or a big stinking ball of cliché but instead has a personality.
The way the show built up this captivating climax really surprised me. It was good enough before that but the final bit of it is just so good.

Thank you! I think Welcome to the NHK is seriously under-rated since I hadn't heard much of it before.

I've heard that there's a major climax / plot twist, and I'm really nervous about it! Since I'm still pretty early in the series, please do not spoil anything for me! I just want to enjoy this show and savour it moment by moment.

I could go on and on about how much I like what I've seen about Welcome to the NHK. This, along with Puella Magi Madoka Magica, would be my absolute favourite anime series of the few recent years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 696 of 1060