• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: F.Y.E. Suncoast Video Chains' Parent Reports Q1 Profit

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:41 pm Reply with quote
Does anyone still buy brand new and fully priced anime from FYE, and not regret their decision? I can understand if you lack a credit card or the patience to purchase online from RightStuf or Amazon, but FYE's pricing is just way off from what I'm comfortable with. I've only ever bought the recent remastered Berserk from them, half off, from a store that was closing down.
Yuki_Kun45
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
Almost never do I buy my anime from FYE anymore unless it's an impulsive buy or I simply don't want to wait around for the shipping.
yamiangie

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:03 am Reply with quote
@Yuki_Kun45 I ended up in the best buy next store anyway, it was last min bday shopping.
NJ_

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
The only time FYE is useful is when looking for out of print stuff that are either not available at the reliable sites or are just too expensive. I was lucky last year to find the Trigun Remix volumes that Right Stuf didn't have and the Tenchi Mihoshi Special/Pretty Sammy OVA disc at one store while finding the first Magical Project S set at another.
TarsTarkas

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:40 am Reply with quote
Bought "A channel" from FYE. Didn't want to wait, and Best Buy didn't have it.

Probably cheaper at RightStuf like you said.

Now that I remember, I bought Squid Girl from them too, though that was Best Buy's fault. Best Buy stores were for some reason delayed in getting Squid Girl at its distro date, but FYE had it on time. Was mad at Best Buy for that. They are competing with the online retailers, and FYE, but they can't get Squid Girl on time but FYE could.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:49 am Reply with quote
I've looked at FYE's prices and compared them to Amazons and even Rightstuff's prices and they are way to high in my opinion. Almost feels as if they are ripping you off as well in some cases.

I don't remember the last time I bought any item there, but with their prices and some of the people I've dealt with there, that is no surprise.
superdry

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 12:56 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
The only time FYE is useful is when looking for out of print stuff that are either not available at the reliable sites or are just too expensive.

Very true since they still have stock piles of old Geneon titles (at 50% off?), for example. And, sometimes you can find some decent used stuff intermingled with the new.

Sometimes their sales are pretty decent or were decent, too.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
I do like buying stuff from F.Y.E. since I don't have to wait, and it's much easier than bugging my mom to order something online for me (even with my own money), and I do like looking through the used stuff for hidden gems. F.Y.E. can be a tad expensive for new stuff, since they usually charge full SRP, or something close to it. I remember my old Suncoast (owned by the same company, same prices) was charging the full $19.99 for a DBZ DVD with 3 episodes, but my Wal-Mart was charging $17.95 for THAT SAME DVD PAIRED WITH ANOTHER ONE.

I prefer MovieStop overall...
Schaef Dogg

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:11 am Reply with quote
All of the FYE's around here closed down a few years back, so I no longer have the option. Newer stuff was always out of my price range, but there were some nice deals on OOP stuff, especially on anime event days they had every other month.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 3:32 am Reply with quote
I thought FYE/Suncoast went bankrupt years ago, theres none in southwest as far as I know with the last two closing years ago.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
Back when I still had a handle on my backlog, and when they existed, I did a lot of shopping at Suncoast. Then when they closed down, or rather merged with FYE, I went completely online and my backlog soared and so now the instant gratification I got from being able to walk out with my purchases is no longer necessary. Titles I buy today won't be watched for another 2 or 3 years, so I haven't set foot in an FYE in years. I'm pretty happy with my collection as is, and don't think it has any gaping holes that any title in FYE could fill, so I'm pretty confident I won't set foot in one ever again.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 4:57 am Reply with quote
I rarely buy anime at FYE. I think the last time I did was to get the Ranma 1/2 OVA set used for ALOT less than people were selling it for on Amazon.com. I think I paid less than $20 last year to grab it compared to the $60 or $70 that it was going for on Amazon Marketplace.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
njprogfan
Collector Extraordinaire

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:45 am Reply with quote
I always find OOP anime there and their used selection is outrageous. It's nice to see something other then a clothing store at the mall.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
TarsTarkas wrote:
Bought "A channel" from FYE. Didn't want to wait, and Best Buy didn't have it.

Probably cheaper at RightStuf like you said.

Now that I remember, I bought Squid Girl from them too, though that was Best Buy's fault. Best Buy stores were for some reason delayed in getting Squid Girl at its distro date, but FYE had it on time. Was mad at Best Buy for that. They are competing with the online retailers, and FYE, but they can't get Squid Girl on time but FYE could.

A lot of stores and websites didn't get Squid Girl on time, so I think the problem lay with Media Blasters. It's actually a pretty common problem with MB. It was even worse with the Bluray release of Squid Girl. Amazon, for instance, had the release in stock and eve sold out weeks before Right Stuf even received a copy.
joelgundam00

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Does anyone still buy brand new and fully priced anime from FYE, and not regret their decision?

I have in the past. They occasionally have some really good sales. Also, when it comes to new releases (usually for the first week only) they put the title on sale and give you 25% off.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2