• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Request for an Additional Moderator

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
As I was reading through the thread for Mysterious Girlfriend X, I saw yet another instance of frustrated users having to deal with unwanted spoilers. One of the nice things the moderators do for the users at ANN is help protect us against spoilers, trolling, etc. by cleaning up the forum. However, ever since I became a member here at ANN I have noticed much less moderator involvement in recent series threads, unless absolutely necessary, in comparison to general discussion threads. While I could be completely wrong, it seems that the current moderators, with the exception of Key, do not actively follow a lot of currently airing anime. (I remember Key saying that he follows six or so shows a season) This is isn’t to say that I expect the current moderators to read through numerous threads of shows they are not watching to look for spoilers, trolls, etc., because I completely understand and empathize with them not wanting to read endless amounts of spoilers. Still, the recent series threads are some of the most popular threads on this site and one the major reasons I am an active member on these boards. With that in mind, I think the addition of a new moderator that keeps up with currently airing anime would a fantastic addition to this site.

Just to be clear, I do not have and have never had any problems with the moderators at ANN, and I honestly think the moderators at ANN do a really fantastic job. Therefore, that is why I am asking the powers that be to consider adding an additional moderator to help increase the quality of our experiences on ANN. Speaking as a user who enjoys when the moderators clean up the forum—I hope other users will also chime in—I think the addition of another moderator who would be very active in the recent series threads would be wonderful addition to this site.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:07 am Reply with quote
I find the best way to moderate spoilers is to just report them and say "spoiler tags needed."

I don't really keep up with much of anything in the forums anymore. My main routine is to edit grammar, punctuation, and spelling in thread titles, move locked threads, re-direct people, and maybe take part in a discussion here and there. I've been around this site so long that I get burned out pretty fast and don't really want to spend as much time typing stuff like I used to when I can partake in other things (watching movies, playing video games, typing Blu-ray reviews, researching home theater design, cleaning the house, hanging out with my girlfriend, etc.).

Reports of "meanness," soapboxing, and redundancy (or necroposting) are things I can handle in a snap, but you guys have to remember to use the report button to tell us about other things that might not be as obvious. If I end up dismissing the report, I'll usually get back to you and let you know why I did so. I'm on here almost daily and check reports several times each day, so don't be afraid to get communal and let us know these things.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
While I could be completely wrong, it seems that the current moderators, with the exception of Key, do not actively follow a lot of currently airing anime.

For the record, Key is also a reviewer of ANN, thus it is part of his job to watch and review anime. Other moderators can only follow titles in their free hours.

Due to various personal and non-personal reasons, I haven't been following new anime for more than a year.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:13 am Reply with quote
I've actually been thinking for a while that a few more mods would be a good idea, but I always thought it'd be received negatively, and so I let it be, but I guess this is as good time as ever to bring it up.

It's just that there's way too much garbage between spam, spoilers, trolls, soapboxing, aggressiveness, derailing, new guys, and the Talkback as a whole for only three moderators plus the Admins to wade through. Another issue is that everyone, excluding Dan, is in North America, which creates a time zone concern because there's only, at most, a three hour difference between everyone. This means everyone is awake at about the same time and everyone is asleep at about the same time. It's like ANN is a huge bank, but they're under-guarded and have no night watch.

Quote:
but you guys have to remember to use the report button to tell us about other things that might not be as obvious.

That doesn't always work, though. There are two, aggressive, anti-otaku users who frequent the Talkback section that I've reported several times for straight up insulting people and aggressiveness. No warnings that I've seen have been issued, and if they were, they didn't work since they haven't slowed down one bit. There was another user I reported many times to no avail and eventually just went straight to Keonyn so something could be done, and it was, but I still had to go beyond the report button. As a user, it gets to point where I don't see the point in reporting someone if nothing will be done, and so I don't even bother anymore.

I will say, though, that when I report untagged spoilers, those are fixed quickly, assuming a mod is online, that is. Something about reporting behavior, however, feels like it's glossed over and one hopes that another person will handle it. I doubt that's true, but that's how it looks from the outside.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 9:38 am Reply with quote
On the reported behavior thing: Less than half of the reports that come in about behavior merit visible action. The rest of the time they're either overreactions or simply draw our attention to certain individuals that we may need to keep an eye on. (All of us Mods maintain an informal "watch list," I think.) I'd much rather have potential problems be over-reported than under-reported, though, so don't hesitate to report something if you think it's even a borderline problem.

And yes, I do closely watch the series threads for the series that I follow, but I don't even look at the others.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:10 pm Reply with quote
I have to say I've become a big fan of the report button. For a long time, I had a dumb "no tattle-tale" ethos going on and whenever I saw something that bugged me, I would respond right in the thread in question. Naturally, this usually simply resulted in more derailment. So lately I've been making use of the report button. This means more work for moderators, but it does seem more effective for stopping inappropriate posting behaviour than my previous method did. Not to mention that by not dealing with the jerk-offs directly, I am doubtlessly saving countless brain cells...
Key

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Not to mention that by not dealing with the jerk-offs directly, I am doubtlessly saving countless brain cells...

I'm sure that you also meant to add there ". . .and getting in less trouble myself." Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
The King of Harts wrote:
That doesn't always work, though. There are two, aggressive, anti-otaku users who frequent the Talkback section that I've reported several times for straight up insulting people and aggressiveness. No warnings that I've seen have been issued, and if they were, they didn't work since they haven't slowed down one bit. There was another user I reported many times to no avail and eventually just went straight to Keonyn so something could be done, and it was, but I still had to go beyond the report button. As a user, it gets to point where I don't see the point in reporting someone if nothing will be done, and so I don't even bother anymore.

As mods, we don't really have much power beyond locking, editing, and using words of intimidation. Any kind of banning power is strictly for Admin. The most we can do is make a thread suggesting this user and that user be temp- or perma-banned for their actions, but even they can be too busy sometimes or not deem the idea plausible.

But I'll tell you what, if you want me to go hard-ass on these users, I'll do my best to divert their soapboxing into moderator-rage or something. That's about all I can do for ya'.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 12:59 am Reply with quote
We also have Zalis, maybe you could ask him to "patrol" the Anime section a bit more if that works with his schedule. He does a good job but I don't see forum moderation by him nearly as frequently as other mods. Maybe it's just because he mods sections I don't go in much, but the OP's request is pertinent to spoilers so I guess maybe that's not Zalis' area anymore here.
st_owly

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 1:19 am Reply with quote
There's a certain soapboxing, BBcode abusing user, who should've been perma-banned long ago in my opinion, but I've pretty much given up reporting most of his posts because nothing ever seems to happen when I do.(Tony, I do appreciate the PM's on the subject) That and if I report /every/ single one, it'll seem like I'm soapboxing against him Laughing
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 12:05 am Reply with quote
Thank you for the replies.

My rationale for creating this thread kind of boils down to this: Since the current moderators, with the exception of Key, are, for the most part, not actively participating in some of the most popular threads on this site, wouldn’t giving moderator status to a current user that is an active participant in those threads be an excellent way to maintain and improve the quality of the threads on this site? If there are already hundreds of users reading through those threads on a daily basis, why not remove the step of having those users report a problem by letting one of them clean up those threads on their own?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:15 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
wouldn’t giving moderator status to a current user that is an active participant in those threads be an excellent way to maintain and improve the quality of the threads on this site? If there are already hundreds of users reading through those threads on a daily basis, why not remove the step of having those users report a problem by letting one of them clean up those threads on their own?

A similar practice was given to active Encyclopedia contributors (titles only; no clearance at all), until a no-no incident happened shortly after.

And now you are asking giving out clearances just for being active. Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
dormcat wrote:
And now you are asking giving out clearances just for being active. Rolling Eyes

While there is always the possibility of a bad egg being selected, I didn’t think it was necessary to clarify that the user be trustworthy because if the higher-ups elected to give that user moderator status, I think it would be safe to assume that the higher-ups trusted said user.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 6:36 am Reply with quote
GeminiDS85 wrote:
As I was reading through the thread for Mysterious Girlfriend X, I saw yet another instance of frustrated users having to deal with unwanted spoilers.

The fault is on the users, quite frankly, because I really despise this ridiculousness discussions should be blacked out when the thread is dedicated to the series.

"But... but I've not seen the last episode!", they cry. There's a simple solution for this: wait until it's viewed.

Now to see other users requesting moderator time to fix this issue just compounds the problem further, and frankly, it's a waste of their time in a thread dedicated to the series.

I'm 100% in support of fixes in other threads, as that's appropriate given people shouldn't expect spoilers (which usually result into conversation derailments).

I'd like this ridiculous rule to be lifted. Maybe then I'll start participating, something I don't do now because I shouldn't have to "unspoil" comments of a series I'm watching.

For anyone stupid enough to walk into a discussion thread, without having seen the series, deserves to be spoiled.

Said my piece. Now, where's my two cents?
GeminiDS85

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:43 am Reply with quote
The problem that was the catalyst for the frustration was other users talking about the manga in the anime thread.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> ANN Feedback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3