• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Underground/Art/Alternative Manga Discussion Thread

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ridiculus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:04 am Reply with quote
bahamut623 wrote:

It stars a character from Jojo part 5, I believe.

Rohan Kishibe is a character from Part 4 and his popularity among the artists in Japan is huge. There is at least one series whose title is directly influenced by him: G senjo Heaven's Door by Yoko Nihonbashi.
bkatnki

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:35 pm Reply with quote
Tamaria wrote:
Multiple Sig(Ikki) titles have been moved to a yearly schedule without any announcement whatsoever. There's a good chance Kingyo is one of them.

Is this the case for Children of the Sea? I had started to get worried about volume 5..

Also does anyone know how many volumes it has?
kyokun703

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 9:54 pm Reply with quote
There's only 4 so far that I can tell. Wiki lists it as ongoing, but Japan hasn't had any new volumes since 2009. Can't get anything over here if Japan doesn't have it yet themselves!

Wait, I just found an old news story here that says he finished the series in September 2011. So five volumes total. Hopefully that will get here eventually, since it's just once more volume.
jimpac

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 6:31 am Reply with quote
Seems like underground/alt/art manga has definitely dipped in popularity recently!

That said, I did get the two new D&Q books in the last two weeks. I think Fallen Words is really good. Nice to see Tatsumi exploring a lighter side. Some of the jokes are pretty groan inducing but I sort of like that about it! Artwise, you can tell Tatsumi is getting old. It's pretty primitive looking but I can let him off with that.

NonNonBa I was absolutely blown away with. Mizuki's artwork is so beautiful. I'm a big fan of his hyper real backgrounds with crazy cartoon characters in the foreground. I found it to be really sweet and touching plus it was a good introduction to yokai and the like. I hope this one does well and D&Q announce some more Mizuki books in the future. Hopefully more Yokai themed ones. As much as I enjoyed Onward Towards Our Noble Deaths I thought NonNonBa was much better.

I can't see any manga this year topping NonNonBa unless The Strange Tale of Panorama Island actually gets released. I think I've more or less given up on that happening now! Also, excited by the Vertical edition of Adolph as I never got the Viz editions so it will be my first chance to read it.
dandelion_rose

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 7:54 am Reply with quote
I have nothing to contribute, except to say -- oh my gosh, this is such a great thread to find.

I've just looked up A Drifting Life as recommended by the first comment here, and I am so excited.
Genet

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:16 am Reply with quote
bkatnki wrote:
Tamaria wrote:
Multiple Sig(Ikki) titles have been moved to a yearly schedule without any announcement whatsoever. There's a good chance Kingyo is one of them.

Is this the case for Children of the Sea? I had started to get worried about volume 5..

Also does anyone know how many volumes it has?

It's still only 4 volumes in Japan. I swear, I thought I'd seen a listing for the 5th volume on Amazon JP a few months back, but I guess I was wrong?

It would be such a shame if the author isn't continuing it. It's seriously one of the most unique manga I've seen in a while.
Moomintroll

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:
Seems like underground/alt/art manga has definitely dipped in popularity recently!

That said, I did get the two new D&Q books in the last two weeks.

Seems like there's not a lot going on in the world of manga lately though I've also ordered the two new D&Q books. Any idea what happened to AX #2?
jimpac

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 5:16 pm Reply with quote
moomintroll wrote:
Any idea what happened to AX #2?

It's still listed on the Top Shelf website as coming soon so hopefully it's not been canned. I remember Ax Vol. 1 was delayed quite a bit so not sure if it'll come out this year when they've not even hinted at a date.
Top Shelf were also meant to release Masahiko Matsumoto's Cigarette Girl if anyone else remembers that announcement? That one doesn't show on their website so guessing that won't ever see the light of day which is a real shame.
racebit

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:40 pm Reply with quote
jimpac wrote:
moomintroll wrote:
Any idea what happened to AX #2?

It's still listed on the Top Shelf website as coming soon so hopefully it's not been canned. I remember Ax Vol. 1 was delayed quite a bit so not sure if it'll come out this year when they've not even hinted at a date.
Top Shelf were also meant to release Masahiko Matsumoto's Cigarette Girl if anyone else remembers that announcement? That one doesn't show on their website so guessing that won't ever see the light of day which is a real shame.

Cigarette Girl is still listed in Topshelf website. In fact it is listed several steps above AX2. Look in News->Publising Schedulle, under Mature list.
I have been following that list about weekly for many months now. In the beginning CG was next to AX2. With time, CG climbed up the list while AX2 remainend there in the middle.
racebit

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
jimpac wrote:

That said, I did get the two new D&Q books in the last two weeks.

Seems like there's not a lot going on in the world of manga lately though I've also ordered the two new D&Q books. Any idea what happened to AX #2?

I also agree there is next to nothing going on recently. There a was a little high in editions a few yeas ago, but now seems to be going down again.
I can't believe authors like Tsuge and Tomohiko Matsumoto don't have a single book published in English, and only one each in French.
Also Takita Yu, Shin Abe, Yuzuki Kazu are French editions only.
Even the more mainstream style of Kazuo Kamimura can't get published in English except for the commercial Lady Snowblood of Kazuo Koike.
So sad.

Edited: I remember now Tsuge does not allow his books in English.
jimpac

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
racebit wrote:
Cigarette Girl is still listed in Topshelf website. In fact it is listed several steps above AX2. Look in News->Publising Schedulle, under Mature list.
I have been following that list about weekly for many months now. In the beginning CG was next to AX2. With time, CG climbed up the list while AX2 remainend there in the middle.

Ah, thanks for pointing that out! I just put 'Cigarette Girl' into the search box on their website and it doesn't register any hits which is why I thought they'd sacked it. The fact it's listed there gives me some hope.

In other possible good news, Drawn and Quarterly posted this tweet: 'Designing Mizuki's KITARO cover and editing a Tove Jansson short story about being a cartoonist...say what?!?!'
I seriously hope this means D&Q are going to start releasing one or more GeGeGe no Kitaro books but I haven't seen any other info so far.
hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:09 am Reply with quote
Genet wrote:
It's still only 4 volumes in Japan. I swear, I thought I'd seen a listing for the 5th volume on Amazon JP a few months back, but I guess I was wrong?

The Ikki editor in charge of works by Igarashi said that Volume 5 of Kaijū no Kodomo (Children of the Sea) would be probably released on July 30.
An artbook by Igarashi, too, will be published at the same time.

hyojodoji

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 5:13 am Reply with quote
racebit wrote:
I remember now Tsuge does not allow his books in English.

A 2channeller who is a fan of manga by Tsuge has asked a French lecturer at a Japanese university who is knowledgeable about manga why works by Tsuge are hardly translated into French.
According to him, publishing houses make offers to Tsuge, but he never accept them. It is said that Tsuge doesn't like also L'Homme sans talent (The French edition of Munō no Hito).

Moomintroll

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Good to hear AX 2 and Cigarette Girl are still forthcoming. Even better to hear that Children of the Sea 5 and Kitaro are likely to make an appearance somewhere down the line!

racebit -

I've been eyeing up French manga recently too. They have stuff by Otomo, Asano, Maruo, Takahama, Matsumoto and a bunch of other artists that I'd love to get my grubby paws on.
The chances of seeing some of that stuff in English now seem so slim that I might just import them. I need to see how I get on trying to translate a few 48-page French albums first though.
NeburPT

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Moomintroll wrote:
Good to hear AX 2 and Cigarette Girl are still forthcoming. Even better to hear that Children of the Sea 5 and Kitaro are likely to make an appearance somewhere down the line!

racebit -

I've been eyeing up French manga recently too. They have stuff by Otomo, Asano, Maruo, Takahama, Matsumoto and a bunch of other artists that I'd love to get my grubby paws on.
The chances of seeing some of that stuff in English now seem so slim that I might just import them. I need to see how I get on trying to translate a few 48-page French albums first though.

I have also been looking into the european manga market, and although my french is so bad that I can't really consider those editions as an option, I'm thinking of buying the italian translation of Asano's Oyasumi Punpun - I'll be learning the language in a few months, and it seems to be an interesting market for seinen: they also have Hanazawa's I Am a Hero, for example. I also discovered that the first three volumes of Matsumo's Takemitsu Zamurai are available in spanish, but it looks like the remaining five will never see the light of day due to poor sales...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 76 of 88