• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Mind Game a drama?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nephtis

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I went to add Mind Game as a drama due to the definition in the encyclopedia:

Quote:
drama (emotional themes, character development)
Through in-depth development of realistic characters, allows the viewer to experience the emotional ups and downs of the protagonists as they deal with emotional themes. Interpersonal, familial or social tension are the norm.

That definition pretty much sums up Mind Game, so I added it to find:

Quote:
This info is about *ordinary* life; this anime is not
If necessary, ask in the forum for clarifications.

I'll agree the film is not about someone's ordinary life - after being ont he run from Yakuza the characters end up stuck in a whale for a long time. That's not something I've heard of someone doing! But why does the scenario being unrealistic stop a title being a drama? You could argue most anime 'drama' is unrealistic. The Familiar of Zero for example is about a boy who gets whisked away to a fantasy land full of girls who all want him. Death Note is about death gods. Twelve Kingdoms is about a girl who gets whisked away to a fantasy land with talking animals.

I'm not bitter/trying to go off on one, just trying to understand why this message came up basically. Mind Game is a film about character development - that's basically the whole story.

Edit: I'd almost say slice of life - but "even if the setting is uncommon, the events presented are always commonplace to ordinary life within that setting" doesn't really work for Mind Game, as explained above. It certainly has an open ending but it's certainly not every-day life.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:38 am Reply with quote
Ouch. This is purely a technical bug, not a subjective / judgmental decision.

Under the current genre definitions, "drama" and "slice of life" are mutually exclusive i.e. a title cannot have both "drama" and "slice of life" genre at the same time, thus they share the same single-letter code in the background. However, in this specific case, a "slice of life" submission was disapproved, causing the code -- and the "drama" genre that shares the code -- unable to be re-submitted.

I could fix the problem by deleting that "slice of life" submission, but that would also destroy the specific submission record, a "last resort" action as we'd like to keep submission records as complete and intact as possible. I'll let Dan know if he could fix this without removing the old submission; the current coding might need a tweak anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Nephtis

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
That's an entirely logical explanation, thanks!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:37 pm Reply with quote
Normally this would be resolved through the audit system in order to choose if "drama" or "slice of life" or neither is the most appropriate (and honestly I'm not sure if Mind Game qualifies as drama since it already has "psychological"). But the "slice of life" submission was disapproved a long time ago (before the audits), resulting in a catch-22 situation where it's neither possible to add "drama" nor flag "slice of life" for audit. I've fixed the situation by starting an audit for that info and the ~240 other in a similar situation.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Nephtis

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:30 pm Reply with quote
Cheers!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Encyclopedia All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1