• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:08 am Reply with quote
I have been yelling it from the heaven! MAKE A ANIME MOVIE BASED OFF OF THE GODFATHER MOVIES!!! USE MADHOUSE TO ANIMATE!.. Do you guys know how successful that would be? Hurry up before like one of the original actors die or something!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:23 am Reply with quote
Augh. I haven't seen Dawn of the Seeker yet--although I probably will eventually because I'm a fan of the Dragon Age series and I have a morbid curiosity about this--but from the review it sounds like it came out about as well as I expected it to. The Mass Effect anime looks like it's off to a somewhat better start, so here's hoping that one works out better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Fronzel

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
Well, videogame-license anime is usually bad, isn't it?
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:40 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
I have been yelling it from the heaven! MAKE A ANIME MOVIE BASED OFF OF THE GODFATHER MOVIES!!! USE MADHOUSE TO ANIMATE!.. Do you guys know how successful that would be? Hurry up before like one of the original actors die or something!

Why would you need to animate something, hell even remake something, that's already close enough to perfect? I know it's wrong to automatically assume remakes will suck, but there's just no possible way even Coppola himself could outdo what he's already done. I just cannot even place myself in a line of thinking that would want films like those to be remade in any way, especially as anime. And I know you're not joking because you don't ever seem to be not intensely and deadly serious on the forums. And I'm sorry to break this news to you, but Marlon Brando isn't around anymore.

Fronzel wrote:
Well, videogame-license anime is usually bad, isn't it?

Video game-license anything is usually bad to mediocre. JRPGs can be functional due to the linear storytelling of those games, but they never really outdo themselves. As far as western games, that's all Uwe Boll.
JoePianist

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:00 am Reply with quote
I don't want this movie. I NEVER wanted this movie, nor have I ever asked for it to be made.
mediaright

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:03 am Reply with quote
The only reason I'd want to see this, and I don't, is that there's a band I like called NOTHING'S CARVED IN STONE. They have a new insert song in here I've heard them do live and it's really good. I'll probably just wait for the "Inside Out" single next month, but other than that...

...Funi: you wanted more shonen content because Japan was going all girly on you. I admire the initiative in thinking outside the box, but THIS might not get you guys the kind of results you're looking for. Sorry.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:18 am Reply with quote
Hmm, as far as I know T.O. Entertainment didn't have anything to do with the animation for the Dragon Age film. At least the ANN encyclopedia entry only lists them as a distributor and producer. The animation production was handled by Oxybot who did the short TO OVA and the Vexille movie. Both those had way too much mocap I thought as well (though the budget were probably higher so it didn't look quite as terrible)

Luckily for the Mass Effect film, they got Production IG doing the animation production, so I doubt we'll get some bad CG film for that.

Last edited by Megiddo on Thu May 31, 2012 4:26 am; edited 2 times in total
Kalessin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 4:21 am Reply with quote
I've never played Dragon Age, but I was willing to give this title a gander until I saw what it looked like. I'm not a huge fan of CG animation in general, but even with just seeing the trailer, it clearly didn't look good, so I haven't ordered it, and this review just makes it that much more clear that it's not worth picking up, which is a real shame, because it could really help the industry to have a solid anime based on a Western property.
SoandSo

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
What that means is that this is a film that basically requires that you're somewhat familiar with the Dragon Age fiction, and also requires that you've never seen decent CG animation.

These two demographics fit together better than you might think.
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
The only real interest I have in this film is its English Dub..Mike McFarland is easily Funimation's finest ADR director..anything he voice directs I make a point to check out purely because I know its going to be complete gold in terms of the performances..I would go so far to say he is one of if not the greatest ADR director currently working in English anime dubs.The Mass Effect anime should be vastly better then Dragon Age: Dawn of the Seeker I suppose we will find out when it is released here.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:13 am Reply with quote
I kind of hope Funi gets out of the co-production business. These kinds of R1 distrib/anime studios dealios never seem to result in anything particularly worthwhile on the creative side (Lady Death anyone?*) and I imagine they absorb a fair amount of a company's resources. Maybe I'm all wet and this kind of thing brings in boodles of cash for Funi, but I kinda doubt it. Stick to your knitting, peeps.

*eta: just checked the Encyclopedia and it appears no Japanese anime studio was involved with Lady Death, but you know what I mean.
Alunimus

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:22 am Reply with quote
JoePianist wrote:
I don't want this movie. I NEVER wanted this movie, nor have I ever asked for it to be made.
And now I'm thinking about Deus Ex: HR movie.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
I kinda like Dragon Age and I'm always willing to give CG a chance, even though I haven't been happy with the results. I saw this last night and really Zac held back too much. I think a D- was warranted for everything except for music and even that wasn't impressive. The accents some of the VAs were using? Terrible. The story? Awful. Cassandra's motivations for hating mages? Cliche. Clunky info dump? Yea, an attempt to make it slightly accessible to non-players. Whereas I could find some positive things about the CG Appleseed films and Vexille this movie was just all around bad.
LordByron227

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:53 am Reply with quote
I never asked for this....

:puts on implanted shades:

Walks away.
AnimeMaine

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 10:20 am Reply with quote
I too was turned off by the trailer. The review seems appropriate in light of what I saw. The only comment I have about the review; it would have been easier to follow if there were links for "mocap" and "aliasing". I had to check other sites for definitions. [At least I know what "CG" is, but there might be people who are unfamiliar with that term too.]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4