• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Worst Manga You've Ever Read

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:36 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
Most of the worst has been bad, bland shoujo (Red River, Marmalade Boy) or blatant fujoshi bait (Princess Princess, Descendants of Darkness).

I actually really adore Descendants of Darkness but it was never finished. D: Anyway it was certainly written for fujoshi and girls who like shounen-ai....so it's not like it's trying to be something it's not.

Quote:
The worst of the lot, the one that ticked me off more than anything, was Fushigi Yuugi.

Oh boy, I hear you. Anime hyper

Quote:
Anyway, back to my first statement: Why on earth does she love that bad Han-Solo knockoff Tamahome, other than "he is hot, and I want to bone him"? I guess you might be able to add "and because he saves my stupid butt from roving rape squads every 10 minutes." Well, call me crazy but I prefer my heroines to actually know their love interests longer than a few days before declaring their love, and to have something more than "rescuer and damsel in distress" in common.

Because Watase is BAD at romance. Very very bad. Rolling Eyes I ate this crap up at age 16....but now I'm an adult and I've realized how idiotic the whole MiakaxTamahome ship is. Anime hyper

Quote:
Plus, once she gets to the book-world practically everything is handed to her.

Mary-Sue alert. Anime hyper Actually according to the Mary-Sue Limitus test, Miaka is an ANTI-Mary Sue and those are even worse than regular Mary-Sues! LOL.

Quote:
The weird thing is that I ended up liking Ceres, and I'm working on reading the rest of that. I still have yet to read Absolute Boyfriend or Arata, so only time will tell whether it's FY or Ceres that is the exception in quality as far as Watase's work goes
[/i]

I recommend Fushigi Yuugi: Genbu Kaiden. No Miaka, no stupid, incompetent heroine, no super-rushed romance and lots of unique characters. For starters, not ALL of the warriors are "beautiful men who want to get into Takiko's skirt"!! IMAGINE THAT!? Shocked
Brainchild129

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
Chiibi wrote:
Brainchild129 wrote:
Most of the worst has been bad, bland shoujo (Red River, Marmalade Boy) or blatant fujoshi bait (Princess Princess, Descendants of Darkness).

I actually really adore Descendants of Darkness but it was never finished. D: Anyway it was certainly written for fujoshi and girls who like shounen-ai....so it's not like it's trying to be something it's not.

Heh, fair point. It's just that while I don't mind a bit of good yaoi, I'm well past the age when the prospect of bishies and hoyay alone is not enough to entertain me. I know when I'm being blatantly pandered to, and I don't like it when it happens. Also, art-wise DoD really, REALLY wants to be CLAMP, but just can't quite get to that level of quality. YMMV, of course.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 2:15 am Reply with quote
st_owly wrote:
davem1992ftw wrote:
Naruto - just as crappy and drawn out as the anime Very Happy

This. That and Naruto is one of the most annoying characters ever created.

Thankfully, Naruto isn't really about Naruto. Especially later in the series he's just kind of there to unleash his power once in a while to prevent stalemates/losses.

But yeah, I don't get why he's that stupid. It's as if Kishimoto wanted to create the ultimate stereotypical Shounen Jump-hero.
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Animeking1108 wrote:

One Piece after Thriller Bark- The Impel Down arc was okay, but the whole thing with Ace after it just dragged the fudge on! Every chapter, I just said to myself spoiler[KILL HIM ALREADY!! He's pretty much expendable, anyway!] Then after that, they have a flashback that dragged on that would make a Family Guy cutaway get bored. I think my main problem with it is the art style. The women look bulimic, which makes you wonder how those twig bodies can hold such large breasts. Also, whenever a really dramatic moment happens, Oda has to ruin it by making the characters make cartoony facial expressions.

LOL, damn bro, you must have the attention span of a goldfish. You probably got bored while writing that paragraph. Laughing
It also makes me wonder how you managed to read over 50 volumes of it if you have that big of a problem with the art style.
Maybe you just have a thing for "generic cookie-cutter super kawaii desu" faces. My two cents.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:09 pm Reply with quote
I personally encourage different slants on artstyles, i love odas style and i like nightows style too though some folk complain.

Anyhoo best not to take other peoples opinions to heart, one piece does well enough for itself despite its haters.

Y'know normally when somone asks me to namedrop somthing i disliked i have no trouble thinking somthing up. But here im trying to think of somthign i found really bad, i got a few things on my shelf I just couldnt get into after 1 volume like D.N angel and Reborn! but I dunno if i could say they were the worst I've ever read.

Id say Naruto is the most dissapointing I've read because it started off so strong and has really become a bit of a mess, but i still dont think its bad.

I couldnt really get into blame! wich suprised me, my particular drawing style was lots of solid blacks and grimdark stuff so me disliking it was more of a suprise. I think i really dug the art but the story was bare.

losing my touch here i think....usually its so easy to find fault in everything Rolling Eyes
zawa113

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
^I didn't get into Blame! either, the setting was amazing, but I found the story and action to be messy. If the manga had literally just been like a tour of the world, I would have loved it.

I know I'm in the minority here, but another manga I really do not like is Yotsuba&!. Lots of people love this manga and threw money all over Yen Press when they rescued it, but I read volume 1 sometime around Yen's rescue, and I kinda just....stared at it. I'm not sure what genre it's supposed to be, it didn't make me laugh and it didn't charm me, clearly it's not a scifi, and I don't think it was romance, didn't seem to be action....was it slice of life? But ok, I've liked things where it's hard to categorize exactly what it is, but I really did not like Yotsuba herself. She annoyed me a lot. So, she's supposed to be a curious, she's ignorant of the world and asks stuff that at our age is obvious, I think that's an ok character idea. The problem is that for me, going "dude, milks comes from cows?" just isn't a very interesting read. I could see an actual five year old learning about the world being more fascinating for me, but reading a comic about it just bored me to tears. I know it's a well loved series and damn popular, but I really don't understand why, was one volume not enough to "get it" or something?
MasterKingJC

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 6:45 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Anyhoo best not to take other peoples opinions to heart, one piece does well enough for itself despite its haters.

I don't take other people's opinions to heart, but that doesn't mean I can criticize 'em. Cool Cool Cool

And for the worst manga I've ever read, I'd have to say To Love-Ru. I don't even need to explain why.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 8:05 pm Reply with quote
Brainchild129 wrote:
Also, art-wise DoD really, REALLY wants to be CLAMP, but just can't quite get to that level of quality. YMMV, of course.

CLAMP eh? o.o If you mean the character designs, I didn't quite think of CLAMP. I do think Matsushita's old style for Yami reminds me of Kaori Yuki's style. But Matsushita changed her style and now it sucks. D:

Ah, forgot to mention, I was most attracted to DoD through the whole shinigami-afterlife and occult thing, not the yaoi. I do ship Tsuzuki and Hisoka because I go nuts for any pairing that acts like an Odd Couple. Anime hyper

Last edited by Chiibi on Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:21 am Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
^I didn't get into Blame! either, the setting was amazing, but I found the story and action to be messy. If the manga had literally just been like a tour of the world, I would have loved it.

I know I'm in the minority here, but another manga I really do not like is Yotsuba&!. Lots of people love this manga and threw money all over Yen Press when they rescued it, but I read volume 1 sometime around Yen's rescue, and I kinda just....stared at it. I'm not sure what genre it's supposed to be, it didn't make me laugh and it didn't charm me, clearly it's not a scifi, and I don't think it was romance, didn't seem to be action....was it slice of life? But ok, I've liked things where it's hard to categorize exactly what it is, but I really did not like Yotsuba herself. She annoyed me a lot. So, she's supposed to be a curious, she's ignorant of the world and asks stuff that at our age is obvious, I think that's an ok character idea. The problem is that for me, going "dude, milks comes from cows?" just isn't a very interesting read. I could see an actual five year old learning about the world being more fascinating for me, but reading a comic about it just bored me to tears. I know it's a well loved series and damn popular, but I really don't understand why, was one volume not enough to "get it" or something?

Yeah its slice of life, i find it to be a very charming series and it never fails to make me smile. Its just the way yotsuba tends to interpet things and her interactions with her dad, the neighbors and people on the street that are amusing.

Basically its cute
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:14 am Reply with quote
Hmm, cute, eh? Well, my definition of cute is this, she's just impossibly cute to me! And soft, and fluffy, and warm, and cuddly, and evil!
Yeah, I don't find humans to be cute, cats on the other hand? Oh hell yes! That's probably why I loved What's Michael? so much! But come to think of it, Chi's Sweet Home didn't click on me, maybe I didn't like the way the cat talked with all the w's and stuff, or maybe it's just that What's Michael? made me look at it and go "oh man, that is just so true! I have refused to pick up the phone because the cat was on me! Pinning me down with her cute purring so I couldn't move!", the sort of "it's funny because it's true", but Chi was kinda the cat exploring it's world, I suppose somewhat similar to Yotsuba, which made me not care.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:53 am Reply with quote
see theres the thing i quite like chi's sweet home too. mabye you're just dead inside lol Laughing

You can be a puuchuu hunter, cuteness has no power over you
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:32 pm Reply with quote
MasterKingJC wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:

One Piece after Thriller Bark- The Impel Down arc was okay, but the whole thing with Ace after it just dragged the fudge on! Every chapter, I just said to myself spoiler[KILL HIM ALREADY!! He's pretty much expendable, anyway!] Then after that, they have a flashback that dragged on that would make a Family Guy cutaway get bored. I think my main problem with it is the art style. The women look bulimic, which makes you wonder how those twig bodies can hold such large breasts. Also, whenever a really dramatic moment happens, Oda has to ruin it by making the characters make cartoony facial expressions.

LOL, damn bro, you must have the attention span of a goldfish. You probably got bored while writing that paragraph. Laughing
It also makes me wonder how you managed to read over 50 volumes of it if you have that big of a problem with the art style.
Maybe you just have a thing for "generic cookie-cutter super kawaii desu" faces. My two cents.

I guess I forgot to add that OP fans treat this franchise like the "Citizen Kane" of manga. They treat it like it's so bloody perfect in every way possible and insult your taste in anime if you don't like it. You know, like what you just did.

These people have the nerve to say Naruto and Bleach fanboys can't accept an opinion. Well, who are you to talk down to people? You think just because Akira Toriyama likes it, it makes Oda the emperor of manga writers? He also liked the Bleach pilot chapter and suggested SJ to give Kubo a chance, but that doesn't stop people from making it the punchline of Shonen Jump.
zawa113

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
RAmmsoldat wrote:
see theres the thing i quite like chi's sweet home too. mabye you're just dead inside lol Laughing

Lol, only real live cats have the power of cuteness over me (even plain and ugly cats). Puppies and dogs do not (we got a puppy last November, a tiny Cavalier breed, nothing, I refused to touch it for two weeks on top of it). Nor do infants (at least i don't think they do, we'll see in September when my niece is due to be born). And much like Homura, my reaction to Kyubey was also "yeah....kill it", I suppose it is possible that years of making Pichu fight Pachirisu has made me a bit dead for cute things, that or make me look at them as things for fighting each other. Emolga though? That thing is the cutest Pokemon I think I have ever seen.

I didn't hate Chi's Sweet Home (while I would say I actively hated Yostuba), but I didn't exactly like it. I'm still glad that Vertical is making so damn much money off it, because it lets them do stuff like, I dunno, get Twin Spica and make the collective manga blog reviewers and people like me throw money and praise at it for two years (and still have it sell like garbage, sadly) and then rescue Adolf and make their superhero cape that much bigger and more awesome.
toaster_4hire

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
Late to the conversation, but @Yami no Matsuei

I have a love-hate with that one. I used to have both the anime and the manga, but decided a while ago to sell the manga and just keep the anime. I can only really watch the first disc anyway. I got tired of everyone wanting to rape/marry/murder/love Tsuzuki. It was a little too angsty and fujoshi bait-tastic.

I tend to not like fujoshi bait at all anyway. I'd rather just cut to the chase and get a real yaoi or shounen-ai title. I used to read a lot of fuojishi bait, though, since before the big yaoi-boom of 2007/2008 (DMP/June, DramaQueen, Deux, BLU, NetComics all started pumping out licenses around the same time) that was really all you could get.

Also, I have a complete love-hate with CLAMP, too. They create the most amazing stuff and then just slap you in the face with it, either by never finishing the series (X, Legal Drug) or finishing it in the most convoluted/ridiculous way possible (Wish, Tsubasa) or just killing everyone you've ever loved to see be loved (X, Tokyo Babylon, Wish again, sorta)

Like, seriously, CLAMP. wtf.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:37 pm Reply with quote
classicalzawa wrote:
RAmmsoldat wrote:

Lol, only real live cats have the power of cuteness over me (even plain and ugly cats). Puppies and dogs do not (we got a puppy last November, a tiny Cavalier breed, nothing, I refused to touch it for two weeks on top of it). Nor do infants (at least i don't think they do, we'll see in September when my niece is due to be born). And much like Homura, my reaction to Kyubey was also "yeah....kill it", I suppose it is possible that years of making Pichu fight Pachirisu has made me a bit dead for cute things, that or make me look at them as things for fighting each other. Emolga though? That thing is the cutest Pokemon I think I have ever seen.

I didn't hate Chi's Sweet Home (while I would say I actively hated Yostuba), but I didn't exactly like it. I'm still glad that Vertical is making so damn much money off it, because it lets them do stuff like, I dunno, get Twin Spica and make the collective manga blog reviewers and people like me throw money and praise at it for two years (and still have it sell like garbage, sadly) and then rescue Adolf and make their superhero cape that much bigger and more awesome.

amen to that, grabbed all of twin spica still yet to get round to reading it but vertical have GTO so they win big just for that plus flowers of evil has a promising start.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 21