• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Western songs that can work as anime themes?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spoon89

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2011 6:29 am Reply with quote
Western rock songs spark a good anime opening feeling especially songs by evanescence, disturbed, nightwish and linkin park. When I listen to songs by these bands i get reminded of deathnote, hellsing, bleach, gundam, blade of the immortal, cashern, ergo proxy, blood , trinity blood, dragonball, code geass, kuroshitsuji, busou renkin, tenjou tenge and d.gray-man. Notice they all have something in common.
vashna

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:56 am Reply with quote
Is a shounen demographic the common theme? Very Happy
omnistry

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 10:33 pm Reply with quote
I'd have to say "Down By The Water" by the Decemberists would be a great end theme for Arakawa Under The Bridge. While it doesn't match with the show's looniness it works well with the Suneohair-styled credit sequence.
RapidEyeMovement

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 11:57 am Reply with quote
omnistry wrote:
I'd have to say "Down By The Water" by the Decemberists would be a great end theme for Arakawa Under The Bridge. While it doesn't match with the show's looniness it works well with the Suneohair-styled credit sequence.

Hey, I love that song! Very Happy Never seen Arakawa Under the Bridge tho', but plan to eventually.

Thought of some other song-anime connections: Pink Floyd "Learning to Fly" for Wings of Honneamise, Alter Bridge "Isolation" for Moribito, Pat Benetar "Love is a Battlefield" for Utena. Puddle of Mudd "Blurry" would be a perfect fit for Voices of a Distant Star, and possibly as an ED for Gunbuster.
RiskyTheShinigami

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Not sure what series it would fit to, but my friend and I always thought that Aleks Syntek's Duele el Amor would make a perfect 90s anime ED, just based on the sound of it and the generically sappy lyrics.
nerriesantra

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Never Knew I Needed - Ne-Yo; it was essentially used in Disney’s Princess an d the Frog.Razz
vashna

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:35 am Reply with quote
I don't believe anyone mentioned this, but Daft Punk, of course, actually did have their own anime movie. Well, at least I guess it be considered Matsumoto Leiji-sensei's film just as much, but the Intastella movie was really the 'western songs' theme at work.
Cyn_Finnegan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:28 pm Reply with quote
Hand of Sorrow by Within Temptation would work with a series like Gundam Wing. So would This Is WAR by 30 Seconds to Mars, and I Will Not Bow by Breaking Benjamin.

Joan Jett and the Blackhearts Bad Reputation would work on both Cromartie High School and Yu Yu Hakusho.
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Although I consider it nigh sacrilegious to suggest, I think that Jackie McLean's "Action", probably with some careful excerpting, or Duke Ellington's "Blue Pepper" ("Far East of the Blues") could serve as themes for Cowboy Bebop.

While I'm at it, in complement to the above, I could imagine Sidney Bechet's "Petit Fleur" serving as an ending song.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashna

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:33 am Reply with quote
Bad Reputationby Joan Jett and the Blackhearts wouldn't be bad for The Flame of Recca, Air Gear or any other host of 'punk kid' anime series either. I could totally see that one being used as a real opening.
Gatherum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 3:24 am Reply with quote
For some reason, I feel like (an abridged version of) In Flames' "Come Clarity" could work as an OP.

Not really sure for which series, though.
rinmackie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:44 am Reply with quote
Just wanted to say Joan Jett's Bad Reputation was done to The Melancholy of Haruhi Shizumaya. I would provide the link but I'm at work right now. But it should be easy to find.
Little Flower

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:38 am Reply with quote
I think Turn it off by Paramore is a good one. I don't know for which anime, but it seems very anime opening-ish. Very Happy
vashna

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Perhaps it's just because I'm in love with Hayley Williams, but I'm inclined to agree. Turn it Off, like a few of the other songs we've mentioned, could have fit an older shonen show if you ask me. Did I mention the Flame of Recca yet? I can't remember, but I think it would make a decent fit for that track.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Music All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2