• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Heavy lag / "hiccup" using Google Chrome 19.0.1084.46

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhyono

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:15 pm Reply with quote
@camb8831 Are you using any extensions that manipulate page content (i.e. Ad Block and other variants)?
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 2:49 am Reply with quote
Chrome has updated itself to 19.0.1084.52 yet the problem persists. However, there's a very quick fix: close all ANN's tabs then "reopen closed tab" (just one) immediately. Cookies won't expire even if you haven't checked "Remember me" box, but memory usage of the tab would reduce to less than 1/10. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:56 am Reply with quote
Sorry, I had noticed that closing the tab then re-opening it flushed the memory leak but forgot to mention it.
I've not had any more problems since switching to Canary.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:52 pm Reply with quote
It isn't just my home computer - I'm on the one computer in work with Chrome installed and I just realised why it was running so slowly... (ANN tab was up to 800MB)

v. 19.0.1084.52 m

--edit--

To add, the home computer is Win 7 and this one is XP. I have been using the admin server today as I've been editing releases.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:38 pm Reply with quote
I would recommend using a newer build of Chrome, but version 21 is having formatting issues (doesn't appear to be on ANN), but on most sites where things will be pushed onto the wrong lines.

I would assume it'd have to be Chrome at fault, but since I'm not experiencing the problem myself (using v21): it's hard to really diagnose it. Trying using Firefox on either of those computers and see if the problem persists. If it does, then it may be ANN at fault (or possibly cloudflare).
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:31 pm Reply with quote
I've switched to build 21 (Canary) at home because of the problem, but I forgot that I was locked to the stable build in work.
No problem with Firefox, just Chrome 19 (stable) on both computers.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:18 am Reply with quote
The problem has been alleviated significantly after Dan turned off the malware detector; I've been using the same tab continuously for three hours and the memory usage is less than 70MB, and closing unused tabs now reduces memory usage. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2