• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
Every Saturday night from Midnight-6am (or 11-5am central time)

Yeah its Midnight Run baby! But remember as our pal TOM says....

"Sleep Is For The Weak." Cool
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:26 am Reply with quote
SoundMonkey wrote:
As for ViZ, I fully expect Inuyasha: Final Act to air on the block eventually.

Truthfully I am not even sure at this point what ever happened Inuyasha Final Act at this point. The last time I heard any credible news on what Viz Media is doing with this series was during 2009.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2009-07-24/viz-adds-inuyasha-final-act-kekkaishi-anime

I thought for sure Viz Media would dub the series maybe by late 2009, but that didn't happened. So I thought maybe in 2010 Inuyasha Final Act would be AS, that never happened. That didn't happen in 2011 either.

Inuyasha The Final Act has yet to premier in 2012, even though Toonami has been brought back. I don't know about anyone else, but if there was a time for Viz Media to say something at the very least about this series, now would be a very good time.

Truth be told, I am not even sure if there as much as a fanbase for Inuyasha anymore though. The manga ended years ago in Japan and I am not even sure Viz Media is still producing new volumes of Inuyasha either. They probably are, but times have changed with Viz Media since Final Act was made and licensed in the US.

Years and years ago, I would also figure Viz Media shows would be on TV, but those days are but a business model of the past.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:06 am Reply with quote
VIZ just announced a DVD release for Final act at a con not to long ago I believe, so I don't think its that far-fetched that it might be added to Toonami's line-up come fall. Either that or Tiger & Bunny, hopefully.

Last edited by Soundmonkey44 on Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:45 am Reply with quote
What's more important the the premiere is how the following weeks, months, will play out in ratings. I cannot imagine them any higher this week than last, unless Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins were that captivating.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:46 am Reply with quote
Soundmonkey: News to me, there isn't even a single detail about Inuyasha Final Act on Viz Media's website. I knew a guy years ago that also emailed and called Viz Media about Inuyasha Final Act. Based on what he told me, he never received a clear answer.

All I can hope for with this new Toonami is more anime shows and Toonami lasting more than a month at this point.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:01 am Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Soundmonkey: News to me, there isn't even a single detail about Inuyasha Final Act on Viz Media's website. I knew a guy years ago that also emailed and called Viz Media about Inuyasha Final Act. Based on what he told me, he never received a clear answer.

All I can hope for with this new Toonami is more anime shows and Toonami lasting more than a month at this point.

Yeah they've set on it a long time.

And as for Toonami lasting, despite Demarco's response on Twitter the premiere actually did pretty well, as stated the premieres were all #1 in their timeslots Bleach got 1,060,000. Deadman got 860K and Casshern got 790K. So yeah ratings decreased as the night went on, but thats typical of Adult Swim in general, not like millions of people are gonna stay up all night to watch. I think Toonami will be around for quite some time, Demarco & co are pretty committed to it, even if they do have their expectations for ratings a bit to high.

Back on Topic. I also think Claymore & Fairy Tail would be nice additions to Toonami, but FT may be to kiddy for the new Toonami as it seems to want to play itself more seriously. Maybe when/if they get earlier time-slots, then they can air shows like Fairy Tail, One Piece, etc.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:51 pm Reply with quote
Who will be watching Toonami tonight?I hope the ratings are as good as they were last week,im also looking forward to Deadman wonderland.
Rigamortis-chan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Really excited for Deadman Wonderland and Casshern Sins and Ghost in the Shell. Bleach not so much.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:06 am Reply with quote
I'm REALLY digging Deadman Wonderland. And I must say I'm really enjoying Greg Ayres' performance, I got goosebumps from it at one point.

I would also love to get this dub without the censors.

Not into the other shows that much though, unfortunately.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:41 am Reply with quote
I'm curious as to people's reactions to Casshern more than Deadman, given that so often people find it boring and confusing. Those words don't sound right for the kind of block they're building.

Deadman just made me think of something in comparison to Running Man, Hunger Games, Battle Royale, and other "bloodsport for mass entertainment" works of fiction. spoiler[If the audience believes the violence to be good special effects and theatrics and not real, then this cannot be a sardonic or mockingly contemplative story pointing out the flaws of humanity and their innate barbarism. The point of those other films is that the fictional audiences know it's real and they relish in the carnage and enjoy the death of the contestants. It would be comparable to us going to see a summer action flick with a high body count; we know it's fiction so we don't become upset when an unnamed henchman dies.]

Does that help or burden any possible message this anime/manga might have? An oversight, or perhaps deliberate? spoiler[I just don't think it works when the only "sick fucks" in the story are the prison overseers and not society as a whole that allows such ridiculous slaughter. We're supposed to be upset that society has become so screwed up that gladiatorial exhibitions are accepted and celebrated, but that can't be applied here.]
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:06 pm Reply with quote
I've combined all the Toonami threads into this one, so if you see a post that looks a little out of order; too bad. Instead of having to keep up with half a dozen separate threads about the same programming block, please keep it focused under this single entry. Thanks.
Pl4t0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:10 pm Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm curious as to people's reactions to Casshern more than Deadman, given that so often people find it boring and confusing. Those words don't sound right for the kind of block they're building.

I feel like Casshern is just bursting with potential that it loses in poor execution. Well, not so much that the execution is poor...I just feel like the show is having a very tough time articulating all the cool stuff it has going for it. The underlying ideas behind its plot are just awesome, but the ways it chooses to reveal them to the audience are just boring and misguided, in my opinion.

I really want to see it succeed - I'll likely watch another episode or two to see if it gets better, and if it doesn't then I don't begrudge Toonami for seeing some potential in it. But for now, Deadman Wonderland went from great to awesome in the space of an episode, and I can't wait to see if it can get any better.

It's a shame they don't have more new content overall - if Adult Swim would just let them have the whole night, from 10pm-6am rather than midnight, it wouldn't be nearly as problematic to get the ratings they need.
Sea Lion

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:20 am Reply with quote
I'm more into Deadman Wonderland than Casshern Sins, but it's nice to have two new shows to watch.

My complaint is that Toonami isn't on earlier. How is the next generation of anime fans supposed to get interested if they're all in bed before it airs?
sommer89

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
Well i know cashern is not a very long show so we may see something to replace it down the road. dead man wonderland is realy freaking awesome the first episode realy hooked me.

I was disapointed some of the toonami opening animation was absent like those bug robots going down to the planet fromt the ship to establish the signal, but the robot that fires the missles i remember fondly years back even shots of it under construction its good to see they salvaged some of the toonami animation sequences animation.

Well here it is my list of shows i think/would be good toonami

Claymore - Project arms - Ruroni Kenshin .
Black lagoon - Tiger and bunny-.
Guyver
devil may cry
D grayman
Hellsing

I hate to mention it but i miss megas XLR on toonami i know i ll get chewed for that one.
Soundmonkey44

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:

I find that kind of sad personally Casshern is a pretty good series. It may have its "Boring" moments, but overall I think it fits the block just fine.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 10 of 16