• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Scripts and Lag

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dessa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:44 pm Reply with quote
The past few days, I have been having incredible lag on ANN, primarily the forums. The problem is to the point where I cannot switch tabs, or even scroll in a tab I am on, while a page is loading.

Occasionally, I will get a script error. I haven't been tracking them all, but here's the one I conveniently got as I was trying to load the page to post a new topic:

http://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/nexp/v=3037830340/cloudflare.min.js:15

Given that the only other time I've had problems like this has been when I've gotten script errors on Livejournal, I have to assume that the script errors are what's causing my lag here.

I am using Windows 7, Firefox 6.0.2, NoScript, and Ad Block Plus.
Rhyono

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2012 11:06 pm Reply with quote
Do you have NoScript active for ANN? The file in question is probably being killed by NoScript or possibly by Ad Block Plus (based on what that script is for). However, killing that script shouldn't cause lag if you haven't changed anything in the past few days.
Dessa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 5:31 pm Reply with quote
While I do have NS running, both ANN and Cloudflare have been allowed. The only things running on the forum page that are blocked via NS are skimresources.com, doubleclick.net, google-analytics.com, and quantserv.com.

Adblock only blocks the ad banners, because I get the auto-forwarding problem with them.

I have made no changes to the settings since my laptop was set up in December.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
As an update, I am now getting the "Unresponsive Script" error on over half the pages I load, the main site just as bad as the forums. The entire error message is as follows:
Quote:
A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete.

Script: http://ajax.cloudflare.com/cdn-cgi/nexp/v=3037830340/cloudflare.min.js:15

Given that I've allowed everything from Cloudflare, the problem cannot be with my settings, since it's loading the script, and the problem is with the script itself.

It has gotten to the point where it's completely locking my browser until it figures out the script isn't going to load, upon which it gives me the error.
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:42 am Reply with quote
Cloudflare recently urged us to turn on a feature to warn visitors who have been infected with the "DNS Changer" malware -> http://blog.cloudflare.com/cloudflare-opendns-work-together-to-save-the

But that may have been the source of the lag you experienced. I've turned off that malware detector, so let me know if that solved your problems (or not)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I have absolutely no idea if what I'm about to type will have any bearing on this discussion, but here goes: last week I noticed on my home PC that ANN was very slow when I was using my Firefox browser. Just for laughs, I switched to IE and things moved much faster. I also had no speed issues with my Safari browser on my Mac at work. Make of this what you will.
Dessa

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
Other than a slight hiccup when I went to reply to this, the site's been loading much faster since I got home today (about 10 minutes ago).

I usually check multiple times a day, so I'll keep checking back to see if the problem stays gone.

I had posted on Friday, but I'd been having the problems at least a few days before that, so if the timing is the same for when the malware detection was activated, that might be it.
Dessa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:17 am Reply with quote
And it's now been well over 24 hours, and it's still working perfectly.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Bugs & Technical Questions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1