• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Square Enix Demos Real-Time Rendering with Final Fantasy

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swienke

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Oh god, I drooled all over that video
sharonlover

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:14 am Reply with quote
swienke wrote:
Oh god, I drooled all over that video

Yep finding myself cleaning my own screen Smile Looks promising.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:32 am Reply with quote
So...what is this exactly? A tech demo? Meaning...this is not an actual game?

Great. Apparently, no longer satisfied with announcing games and then never releasing them, SquareEnix has decided to just cut right to the chase and show fans amazing, mouth watering trailers for games that do not exist. Laughing

The worst part too is that my favourite part of this trailer is not the graphics. It's the rest of the visual design. I love the environment. The whole semi-middle eastern motif is very fresh. The whole city hits a great balance between the gritty, lived in slum look and the fantastical environment it is built on.

Sadly, most of that will likely get dumped in favour of something far more conventional in the next FF instalment.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
While I will never have issues with SE's visuals, I just really wish they'd take a little more dedication to applying those visuals in a game setting that's actually worthy of playing, rather than going for a new version of Dragon's Lair.

My apologies. I forgot the age demographic reading this. Dragon's Lair was a visual video game (laser disk!) to which the animate graphics were controlled with a very simple set of instructions which required near pin-point accuracy in order to continue on.

If you've played Final Fantasy XIII, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about (though this game's accuracy isn't as demanding).

Move. Watch clip. Move and perform and action. Watch clip.

It's misleading to call what they do "games".
Dagon123

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:31 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
While I will never have issues with SE's visuals, I just really wish they'd take a little more dedication to applying those visuals in a game setting that's actually worthy of playing, rather than going for a new version of Dragon's Lair.

My apologies. I forgot the age demographic reading this. Dragon's Lair was a visual video game (laser disk!) to which the animate graphics were controlled with a very simple set of instructions which required near pin-point accuracy in order to continue on.

If you've played Final Fantasy XIII, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about (though this game's accuracy isn't as demanding).

If I could hug you right now, it wouldn't be enough.

Can people please stop defending their BS? Hey Squeenix, I get that Enix is the only half that gives a flip about making good games anymore, so instead of spending 6 years developing an engine for a visual novel, why don't you just make more pandering fanservice movies like Advent Children, at least somebody will enjoy them.

And I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but if you can tell me with a straight face, that 13 even comes close to being the best, let alone even a good game (read amazon reviews for example) You've either never played any previous Final Fantasy, or you're a dead from the neck up hype guzzler.
j Talbain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:47 am Reply with quote
This is a very promising tech-demo. Their new engine looks amazing. I just hope that Square Enix actually makes this into a game and not let it die as a tech demo.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:57 am Reply with quote
j Talbain wrote:
I just hope that Square Enix actually makes this into a game and not let it die as a tech demo.

It's going to die as a tech demo. I can't read Japanese, and it appears the newsroom had nothing to go on, but what's clearly missing here is how the rendering was done.

The PS3 and 360 don't have the processing power to render something like this, and I'm very skeptical it was done on an "over-the-counter" computer system.

If I were to guess, this video was rendered on one of SE's multi-million dollar computer systems, and exported as a video.

The fact we can only see this rendering in video format leaves me to believe this.
maliw

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:08 am Reply with quote
[EDIT: Watch the language. -TK]
decepticons2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:18 am Reply with quote
1)Nice a fancy video
2)No actual story
3)No actual Gameplay

They might as well have rendered 7 or KH for all this is. Its a movie trailer with no movie. I am not sure if I am in the minority or not, but SE seems to have lost there story telling touch.

FF13 is the Transformers movie of the franchise great to watch for some fun. Lots of people enjoyed it and rightly so its got some good points. But when you give it a second look it is so hollow and empty you feel like crying Anime cry
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:28 am Reply with quote
A quick visit to their site reveals a survey link. The relevant quote:
SquareEnix wrote:
Were you impressed by the real-time computer graphics from a next generation perspective?(Emphasis mine)
This would seem to confirm that the PS4 should be announced within the near future.
decepticons2 wrote:
1)Nice a fancy video
2)No actual story
3)No actual Gameplay

They might as well have rendered 7 or KH for all this is. Its a movie trailer with no movie. I am not sure if I am in the minority or not, but SE seems to have lost there story telling touch.

FF13 is the Transformers movie of the franchise great to watch for some fun. Lots of people enjoyed it and rightly so its got some good points. But when you give it a second look it is so hollow and empty you feel like crying Anime cry
Screw the gameplay and graphics! I want to know what the story is! Really, this is like the perfect movie trailer.
blackseer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:31 am Reply with quote
Even if the engine can render this in real-tie, it would be too hard to make a game look like this. It's too many details. As a tech-demo, it looks nice, but it would be better if it was customized, to prove us this is real-time (maybe in E3 they are showing what can be done).

But, as a Final Fantasy fan, I would prefer if they were showing some story telling and world building experiences, since that's what drew me into their games. The graphics was a secondary attraction.
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:44 am Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
j Talbain wrote:
I just hope that Square Enix actually makes this into a game and not let it die as a tech demo.

It's going to die as a tech demo. I can't read Japanese, and it appears the newsroom had nothing to go on, but what's clearly missing here is how the rendering was done.

The PS3 and 360 don't have the processing power to render something like this, and I'm very skeptical it was done on an "over-the-counter" computer system.

If I were to guess, this video was rendered on one of SE's multi-million dollar computer systems, and exported as a video.

The fact we can only see this rendering in video format leaves me to believe this.

Yeah, no. This is a real time demo running on next generation (ie. not PS3, Wii U, and 360) hardware. You can see them manipulating the demo here. It's real.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
And I know everyone's entitled to their opinion, but if you can tell me with a straight face, that 13 even comes close to being the best, let alone even a good game (read amazon reviews for example) You've either never played any previous Final Fantasy, or you're a dead from the neck up hype guzzler.

Is it really that impossible to like XIII? You say that like nobody is allowed to like it. Well, fudge you. I've been playing since VII, and I enjoyed it. People are just butthurt because they want it to be like every other game, because according to them, "different bad!" That's the worst FF game? Obviously, they never played X-2. Tell me, if this game is so terrible, then how come there's fanart, AMVs, and a sequel for it? You're telling me all of those people aren't true FF fans? You're not the true fan for talking down to people for what they liked.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:24 am Reply with quote
@Primus:
I didn't imply the demo was "fake". I just said it wasn't using a system anything can render right now. Many current PC games don't go to this level, and SE isn't the only company pushing rendering engines.

@Polycell:
Speculative, but promising. I don't doubt next generation consoles will be powerful, but this isn't the first time SE has shown us "real time" rendering engines but failed to make it to consoles.

@maliw:
I see we have another time traveler with us, having the ability to jump forward in time, know of the specifications consoles will have, then return and post absolutely no proof of their trip.

Let's hope the next time you go forward in time, you stay there.
formerroadie1

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:29 am Reply with quote
Dagon123 wrote:
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:

If I could hug you right now, it wouldn't be enough.

Can people please stop defending their BS? Hey Squeenix, I get that Enix is the only half that gives a flip about making good games anymore, so instead of spending 6 years developing an engine for a visual novel, why don't you just make more pandering fanservice movies like Advent Children, at least somebody will enjoy them.

FF XIII is one of my fave games of all time. Bite me Wink.

This tech demo made me drool.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2