• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece And Mew Mew Power Dropped From 4Kids Schedule

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:45 pm Reply with quote
My surprise when I found out this news this morning was Mew Mew Power has been #3 on their ratings list (ahead of Magical DoReMi), so it's a surprise to see it being dropped. Could it be because 4K!ds supposedly only has 26 episodes, which means they have 3 left?

As far as One Piece, even though the Chopper story was the most faithfully dubbed, kids know a bad dub. Early rumors state though that One Piece may air new episodes on Toonami once Toonami has caught up (if it doesn't come back to 4K!ds TV).
taconinja

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Sure, it's not like I actually watch 4Kids TV, but it's still a shame that anime is being dropped instead of Bratz or Winx Club or whatever. At least One Piece will always (well, ya know) have a home on Toonami. Maybe Tokyo Mew will show up somewhere else someday, somewhere. I kinda liked it..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
domino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Good news to me. I want to see a more faithful version of One Piece on American TV (on Cartoon Network with other uncut stuff, hopefully). Watching the 4Kids dub of One Piece was like pulling teeth (and even little kids that fit the 4Kids target age group seem to agree with me on that).
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:29 pm Reply with quote
domino wrote:
Good news to me. I want to see a more faithful version of One Piece on American TV (on Cartoon Network with other uncut stuff, hopefully).

That doesn't seem likely. It'd need to be re-localized from the ground up, wouldn't it?
ChrisBeveridge

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quote
taconinja wrote:
Sure, it's not like I actually watch 4Kids TV, but it's still a shame that anime is being dropped instead of Bratz or Winx Club or whatever. At least One Piece will always (well, ya know) have a home on Toonami. Maybe Tokyo Mew will show up somewhere else someday, somewhere. I kinda liked it..

While I in no way will ever defend Bratz, Winx Club is actually really well done and is very appealing to its target audience of girls. I watch this every week with my five year old and she adores it. Even better, it has a storyline that runs throughout the entire season so it's not just stupid episodic garbage each week. My only lament is that the DVD releases for it don't contain the original Italian language or script since I'd love to know what was changed.
Nionel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:35 pm Reply with quote
That's true, a more faithful adaptation would require the series being re-dubbed and re-aired, though there is a chance that if One Piece goes Toonami exclusive, that future episodes may be handled a bit better, since shows on Toonami seem to require fewer edits than what 4kids typically shows on their channel...
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 2:50 pm Reply with quote
taconinja wrote:

On October 29th Bratz got a 2.8 rating for 4K!ds TV. Winx Club was second with a 2.0, then Sonic X with a 1.3, Mew Mew Power with a 1.2, Ninja Turtles with a 1.1, GI Joe Sigma 6 with a 1.0, Magical DoReMi with a 0.8, and finally One Piece with a 0.7. Why would 4K!ds want to pull there highest rated shows? I do know I never watch those two, but they obviously get enough viewers to typically beat out ABC Kids in that second hour. That's why they are expanding with them, but I still can't figure out why they're removing Mew Mew Power.

I just hope if One Piece does start premiereing eipsodes on Toonami that it won't be as butchered, but CN does have all the episodes so far that 4K!ds TV has aired.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Since the article did not make it clear, does anyone know if this is truly a long-term switch?

If it is, look out Miguzi, you have a new shoujo adventure.

Of course, there could be other possibilities as well, like this only being a seasonal change, or 4Kids deciding that continuing with the show was too much of a long-term investment risk.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Nobody knows if it will be a long term switch, but right now it is believed it will be a long term switch. That is why the rumor is that One Piece premieres will move to Toonami (since Toonami has been getting better ratings than 4K!ds TV for One Piece anyway).
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:34 pm Reply with quote
Well, i am happy they stopped airing before they got to Alabasta. some of the things they would (or will) edit in their will be huge. i do wonder what they'll do if they keep going after a while.
B33

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:35 pm Reply with quote
They could be taking One Piece off for two reasons... 1. Their taking a break and need more time to dub more episodes. Or 2. They are dropping One Piece and may try to get another network to air it (i.e. Cartoon Network). Why would 4kids TV drop One Piece? Bad ratings. I'm hoping 4kids will drop the series altogether though. I wouldnt be surprised if they did since the series gets very violent and bloody in the curent arc they are in.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
We know from the next season preview that they have already dubbed into Alabasta, and the 4K!ds TV next season preview showed Luffy's brother on it. The big question is will it premiere on Toonami, or will it return to 4K!ds TV.
suna_suna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:41 pm Reply with quote
B33 wrote:
I'm hoping 4kids will drop the series altogether though. I wouldnt be surprised if they did since the series gets very violent and bloody in the curent arc they are in.

Yes it does get very violent. spoiler[Luffy using his own blood to hit crocodile. Ussop getting smacked with a 4 ton bat. Alot of things with crocodile and the rest of the members of Baroque Works. Mr. 2 might not be as violent, but what would they do with him? i mean he is gay after all and you know what PARENTS will probably say about that.]
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 3:44 pm Reply with quote
I also feel the need to post this since they have it wrong on the link with the news. The link for G. I. Joe Sigma 6 is this: anime#5741

Also, according to the updated TiVo schedule, 4K!ds TV has the same schedule down for November 26th.
domino

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:20 pm Reply with quote
A shift to being un-edited is unlikely, but not impossible if they're willing to put up the effort (though it would take a lot less effort to NOT change it than to make all of those stupid edits they do to the 4Kids version, like drawing plastic hammers over all the guns).

I'm hoping that Cartoon Network will pick up new episodes and advertise them as uncut and unchanged; clean the crappy pun-infested English dub dialogue, and give One Piece another try. Maybe even re-dub old episodes like Evangelion (or at least I HEARD Eva was re-dubbed).

I really want to watch One Piece on Toonami, but the dub is just so... bad. And I think it's silly that edited One Piece and Bobobo episodes air LATER THAN (mostly) unedited episodes of Naruto, which is much less suitable for younger audiences.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4