• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - Kids on the Slippery Slope

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:00 pm Reply with quote
Since it didn't make the cut, I'll put my answer to the alternate costuming question here: If there's one thing in cosplay I'd like to never see again, it's a person who brings one costume and then wears it nonstop the entire weekend. Especially at a summer convention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:04 pm Reply with quote
Well, they didn't seem to have too much trouble with the recordings in Crumb, and that flick's probably even more low-budget than the average Sentai acquisition.
Fencedude5609

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:06 pm Reply with quote
I just want to point out that Popotan is severely underrated, and if you get past the boobs, its a very sweet story about family and the struggles of growing up (and not growing up...)
BattleHork

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:18 pm Reply with quote
Even though they didn't even really talk about it, Tokyo Jungle is about the only thing from E3 that looked unique. It will help you answer questions you never knew you had, like how many pomeranians do you need to kill a dinosaur.
ultimatemegax

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:30 pm Reply with quote
In regards to your Haruhi answer, I'd argue that the series would be selling quite well overall for them to acquire digital rights for all 7 published novels and not the other big LN Yen has, Spice and Wolf. They've also scheduled the 8th novel to have a simultaneous release with the paper form. That's ignoring that Yen licensed both published spinoff manga as well as one of the four anthology comics (which I'm sure had to be a hassle to obtain so many rights for) and guess what, they have digital versions too! I'd find it tough to believe Yen would invest the money to obtain digital rights for a franchise that's "anime moment is decidedly past." Perhaps future franchises might not give the returns this series will have, may have too many volumes, or just might not be as popular to justify the increased costs. Vertical Ed had a fantastic post about the same costs regarding digital/paper manga on the Fandom Post (http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?10128-News-Stealth-PR-and-License-Announcements!&p=104824&viewfull=1#post104824). It would be logical to assume said costs would also be for light novels.

Edit:This is after said column is posted, but the NYT best-sellers list just went up. Guess what franchise had the 6th best selling manga of the week?

In regards to your e-readers in Japan comment, the Kadokawa Group developed a format called Book Walker in opposition to Amazon's Kindle services which happens to have apps on both ipads and Android devices. These are the primary source for reading, and hey, they sell light novels, manga, and even magazines through it. It appears to be successful as it remains listed as one of the most popular apps on itunes. Kadokawa has also partnered with other big social sites in Japan like NicoNico and GREE with this platform. I wouldn't say digital books haven't taken off yet; they're just sold in an app you're likely not familiar with.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:31 pm Reply with quote
Fencedude5609 wrote:
I just want to point out that Popotan is severely underrated, and if you get past the boobs, its a very sweet story about family and the struggles of growing up (and not growing up...)

here i thought i was the only one that watched that series... then again back in 2006 i was watching alot of anime for the boobs

ultimatemegax wrote:
In regards to your Haruhi answer, I'd argue that the series would be selling quite well overall for them to acquire digital rights for all 7 published novels and not the other big LN Yen has, Spice and Wolf. They've also scheduled the 8th novel to have a simultaneous release with the paper form. That's ignoring that Yen licensed both published spinoff manga as well as one of the four anthology comics (which I'm sure had to be a hassle to obtain so many rights for) and guess what, they have digital versions too! I'd find it tough to believe Yen would invest the money to obtain digital rights for a franchise that's "anime moment is decidedly past." Perhaps future franchises might not give the returns this series will have, may have too many volumes, or just might not be as popular to justify the increased costs. Vertical Ed had a fantastic post about the same costs regarding digital/paper manga on the Fandom Post (http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/showthread.php?10128-News-Stealth-PR-and-License-Announcements!&p=104824&viewfull=1#post104824). It would be logical to assume said costs would also be for light novels.

Hmm an interesting thought to say the least, Light novels do have a warranted market here in the states. There are plenty of fan groups that have done translations that could help or go professional if a foot could be allowed in the digital format aside from yen press hard work on spice and wolf. The problem is getting the rights to something like oremio, index, is this a zombie or familiar of zero. If some really popular titles like those could get out there on the e-market legally then it would help push for more later down the road imo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mgosdin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Popotan is a Sentai release, and Rightsuf's got a Sentai sale going right now, ummm.

Now where'd I put my Debit Card? It's all Brian's fault.

Mark Gosdin
Stark700

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Mm that reminds me now, I should start watching Kids on the Slope soon Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Petrea Mitchell

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:08 pm Reply with quote
As for this week's question: Games relevant? Sure! E3, though? No.

I play video games quite a bit, but the sorts of things I like tend not to make the E3 news. For example, the biggest gaming-news-related question on my mind these days is, will Professor Layton and the Mask of Miracles get a North American release sometime this century, or should I just buy a Japanese 3DS so I can play it in Japanese?

If it weren't for the region locks on the 3DS, I'd have bought one already and then imported the game, because it would be a great excuse to learn some more Japanese. But since I'll be locking myself out of either North American or Japanese games when I get a 3DS, I have to wait and see what happens with the one game I want to play most on it...

Last edited by Petrea Mitchell on Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:19 pm Reply with quote
I learned E3 isn't for me anymore when Nintendo went through like 4 press conferences, and didn't even bother announcing the Fire Emblem localization until afterwards with a tweet.

The stuff I care about just isn't talked about at E3 for whatever reason. I'm looking forward to Tokyo Game Show a lot more.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:27 pm Reply with quote
My Light Novel question didn't get in, hm...but another did, so yay?

I'm not mad or anything, though. I'm glad that you picked a LN question, Brian.
zensunni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:02 pm Reply with quote
I am really glad to see ANY light novel available in e-book form, and will be buying the newest Haruhi novel in that form when it becomes available. I didn't know until I clicked on the link Brian provided that ALL of the US published Haruhi books are being put out on Kindle! I may have to spend some money, even though I already have the others in paperback, just to tell the publisher how strongly I approve of this!

Now do it for Spice and Wolf and start picking up some of the other gems out there, like Toradora!, Golden Time (by the author of Toradora!), Sayonara Piano Sonata, and many, many more!

I remember seeing an article recently that Digital Manga Guild is starting to do light novel translations, but when I looked it was mostly yoai, just like the manga that they have. Does anybody know if any of the translation groups have considered contacting Digital Manga Guild about putting their stuff on their site or what kind of hoops they have to go through to get permission from the Japanese publishers?

Oh, and speaking of Sayonara Piano Sonata... Kids on the Slope gives me some hope that there may be, someday, an anime of that fun little series. The stories, like Kids on the Slope, revolve very much around the music that is featured in the stories. Unfortunately, it uses things like Led Zepplin, The Beatles (Blackbird figures prominently in the story and couldn't possibly be replaced without changing a ton of content), The Eagles, Queen, and a few other rock artists. The Beethoven and other classical works wouldn't be such a big problem. (Hearing some of the piano pieces featured in the first novel played on electric guitar would be absolutely worth the price of admission!)
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 4:57 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
And even if they have to spend a little extra money to license the show's many, many different jazz songs, it's *probably* worth it in the long run - this is a show that can legitimately state "FROM THE CREATORS OF COWBOY BEBOP."

Tying yourself to one of anime's few mainstream hits has to be worth a few song licensing fees, don't you think?

No, not really. When people think of Cowboy Bebop, they're thinking of the characters, setting and atmosphere, and even the music isn't just old jazz played by duo of teenagers. They thick action, explosions, cool guys smoking. Works for Samurai Champloo, but just carrying the music label over won't be enough.
bj_waters

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:03 pm Reply with quote
HEY BRIAN!

I want to challenge some of your statements regarding "hype." While I agree that perhaps the word "hype" has been badly used, especially since it is such a massive entertainment media buzzword right now, but I think you've missed an important point here: hype creates expectations, and expectations color a person's opinion of something. I don't think it's as irrelevent as you say it is.

I know that it's happened to me lots of times. I remember the first time I watched Trigun, I just thought it was just okay, but I spent the entire time comparing it to the manga, finding flaws and short-comings. However, when I watched it again, I was able to see it for its own sake and realized that it really was a very good show. Another, and perhaps more relevant example, is for the Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. A friend of mine was trying to sell it to me as the "BEST THING EVAAR!!", going on and on about how off-the-wall and bonkers it was. I asked if it was like FLCL, and he said, "Yes, but even better!" His hype had created expectations. When I finally watched the series (when there was only one season), I was disappointed because it was nothing like it was advertised to be. Sure, I was able to recognize that it was well animated and funny and generally pretty good, but I was expecting FLCL 2, not an anime version of Seinfeld, and that disappointment lingers, enough so that I didn't bother with the second season or much of anything else with the franchise. It's this feeling that I think the original question was addressing. I would believe it's natural to think that if a large group of people who have similar interests to myself think something is good, then it must be good for me, too (note that I said "natural," not correct). So when that particular something turns out to be not as great as my peers said it was, I will feel betrayed by the excitement, or hype, I felt before experiencing that something, and its difficult to ignore failed expectations.

I understand that you're trying to separate the "hype" from the "art," but that's easier said than done, especially with entertainment. Between marketing and social media, its hard not to have an opinion of something without actually looking at it. My local college paper had a section every week called "The Preemptive Movie Reviews," and would rate movies on whether they preemptively liked or hated a movie. It was an amusing feature but also representative of how things are now.

It's easy to call the masses "sheep" and the niches "elitists," but we live in a (first) world where entertainment has a massive social impact, for better or for worse. Media consuption has become such a massive part of our lives that it's become difficult to not choose one side or the other of any particular hype machine, corporate or fan-driven. Simply enjoying art for its own sake sounds like an nice ideal, but if all art isn't made in a vacuum, it's not presented and displayed in a vacuum, either. It takes discipline (or a lack of internet and connectivity) to ignore it entirely, and quite often, we use it to our advantage to help us decide which pieces of entertainment we wish to partake (ANN seasonal previews, for example, are a type of hype). Hype happens and it impacts how we feel about anyting: it can color our perspective, but it can also be a useful tool for those who think outside the box.
mike.motaku

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Thank you!

See also: overrated, which has become an internet way of saying, "I didn't like that as much as anyone else did & my opinion is to be viewed as a Universal Truth." without actually providing a valid set of reasons other than, "I didn't like it."

Another pet peeve: Virtual or virtually. Still means "almost". Still gets misused.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4