• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Toonami on [adult swim].

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 4:14 pm Reply with quote
Soundmonkey44 wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
I'm curious as to people's reactions to Casshern more than Deadman, given that so often people find it boring and confusing. Those words don't sound right for the kind of block they're building.

I find that kind of sad personally Casshern is a pretty good series. It may have its "Boring" moments, but overall I think it fits the block just fine.

Are the people making these comments actually saying it's flat boring, or are they not accustomed to slow and atmospheric anime like Haibane Renmei and Mushishi? Some episodes might be a bit aloof, but some are downright beautiful, like the one with the wheelchair robot painting the city.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
As i get ready to watch toonami in 30 minutes I want to know what everybody thinks of the block so far?i like it a lot especially Deadman wonderland.I just wish they would remove ghost in the shell and cowboy bebop from the block.

[EDIT: Merged with the master Toonami thread. -TK]
moonie92

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:35 pm Reply with quote
Shame on me, but I have actually yet to watch the famed Toonami. There just isn't anything that interests me on it. I'm not complaining about anime being on TV which I'm certain is a good thing, but I would like to see something that appeals to a broader audience. I would love to see a romance (like that would ever happen) or something that appeals to women (girls) a little. I would tune in for Ouran or something similar.
DustyKramKram

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:23 pm Reply with quote
I posted my thoughts about the return of Toonami on Twitter. This was on May 17, so I didn't have all the details about the time block at that point. This is just my opinion on the return itself. It started as a cynical joke tweet and turned into a mini-rant. I still stand by it, however. Okay, here it is.

Just because Toonami is back doesn't mean you aren't a miserable adult anymore. It just means you can watch DBZ while paying your bills.

Still, I'm curious how Cartoon Network is going to do this. Will it be an after school block like before, or will it run with Adult Swim?

I'm betting on the latter, considering the "official" promotional hashtag: #toonamiisbackbitches

Adult Swim has even openly castigated the vocal minority of anime fans who want more anime in the block, and now they're pandering to them.

It feels like this is fan service for a relatively small, albeit vocal group of nostalgic viewers who want part of their childhood back.

As adults, we can buy all of the old Toonami shows on Blu-ray and relive our childhoods at our convenience, in HD. Why do we need this?

We live in a new and better landscape for consuming media than in the days of Toonami. This isn't going to do jack for the anime industry.

At least not like it used to. Okay, I'm done. Enjoy your animes.
moonie92

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:28 pm Reply with quote
DustyKramKram wrote:

As adults, we can buy all of the old Toonami shows on Blu-ray and relive our childhoods at our convenience, in HD. Why do we need this?

I feel this way to an extent. Why watch it on TV with commercials when I can watch it in HD with no commercials? And I can do it at a time that isn't in the middle of the night.
wcsinn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 11:32 pm Reply with quote
IMHO, while I find it's return mildly encouraging - as long as its shown in a terrible time slot it will never find true success. It was stated plainly that in order to be successful it MUST have ratings. For those of us out of school, with lives and responsibilities a block that shows from Midnight (1AM in sometime zones) until 5AM - you really expect viewers and ratings?
Fedpo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
moonie92 wrote:
DustyKramKram wrote:

I feel this way to an extent. Why watch it on TV with commercials when I can watch it in HD with no commercials? And I can do it at a time that isn't in the middle of the night.

Well, Toonami isn't showing any of those old shows. They're showing some new content, to an extent. The only way you can legally watch the new dubbed episodes of Deadman Wonderland and Bleach are on Toonami, so it's not like you can just go off and buy the DVDs or watch them online.(you can rent the most recent Bleach episode later on iTunes, though)

Now, about the shows... I think Deadman Wonderland has been interesting so far and I think it makes a great after midnight show, what with all the gratuitous violence and whatnot. I'm actually finding Casshern Sins to be really interesting, but that's probably because it's my first real post-apocalyptic anime. Bleach is... well it's Bleach.

Honestly, I'm having a good time keeping up with these shows. And I don't really get a nostalgia trip from it, because I never really got into Toonami when I was younger. I really do want it to succeed, but I can see why people wouldn't want to watch it based on the types of shows, showtime, and old content.
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:46 pm Reply with quote
Great news!Here are the ratings for the first 2 weeks of toonami!they get better each week !Week 1:
Bleach: 1,060,000 (12 AM) and 580,000 (3 AM)
Deadman Wonderland: 860,000 (12:30 AM) and 557,000 (3:30 AM)
Casshern Sins: 796,000 (1 AM) and 488,000 (4 AM)
Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood: 699,000 (1:30 AM) and 473,000 (4:30 AM)
Ghost in the Shell: 2nd Gig: 698,000 (2 AM) and 450,000 (5 AM)I
Cowboy Bebop: 669,000 (2:30 AM) and 419,000 (5:30 AM)

Week 2:
Bleach: 1,274,000(12 AM) and 830,000(3 AM)
Deadman Wonderland: 1,107,000(12:30 AM) and 756,000(3:30 AM)
Casshern Sins: 938,000(1 AM) and 690,000(4 AM)
FMA: Brotherhood: 861,000(1:30 AM) and 664,000(4:30 AM)
GitS 2nd Gig: 836,000(2 AM) and 642,000(5 AM)
Cowboy Bebop: 857,000(2:30 AM) and 579,000(5:30 AM)
Surrender Artist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:51 pm Reply with quote
Jason DeMarco has sounded a little more upbeat about the ratings too. I believe he mentioned that had hadn't been called about them this week, which is a good thing.

In fact, just today he said:

Jason DeMarco wrote:
We're doing well! I'm encouraged.

I am too. If nothing else, Adult Swim Saturdays feel like something other than a limp, indistinct superfluous appendage.

He also mentioned that Adult Swim was planning to promote Toonami a little on nights other than Saturday. So, for the immediate term, it seems like thing are going well. I hope that it lasts.

Hiro94 wrote:
GitS 2nd Gig: 836,000(2 AM)
Cowboy Bebop: 857,000(2:30 AM)

Heh heh heh.

Last edited by Surrender Artist on Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Surrender Artist wrote:
Jason DeMarco has sounded a little more upbeat about the ratings too. I believe he mentioned that had hadn't been called about them this week, which is a good thing.

He also mentioned that Adult Swim was planning to promote Toonami a little on nights other than Saturday. So, for the immediate term, it seems like thing are going well. I hope that it lasts.

Hiro94 wrote:
GitS 2nd Gig: 836,000(2 AM)
Cowboy Bebop: 857,000(2:30 AM)

Heh heh heh.
I hope it last too.Im glad too see the block do great:)
Hiro94

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
With another night of Toonami coming up tonight i want to know who's still watching Toonami and who's not watching it.I still watch it since it came back because of DeadMan Wonderland and tom lol.

[Mod Edit: Merged this with the other topic since there's no reason to open a brand new topic just for this comment when a perfectly good topic already exists. - Keonyn]
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:24 pm Reply with quote
I watch Deadman and Casshern only, then turn it off. Casshern's dub is decent, nothing remarkable at all about it, but that doesn't matter much when it's already a known variable having been on the market for years. Deadman's dub is quite exciting, aside from Greg. They sure did embellish that script with a ton of cursing. I understand that they're supposed to be teens with a lot of stuff going on so tensions run high, but it just reminds me of violent 90s OVA with slightly better writing in the dub adaptation. My opinions of the shows remain the same, Casshern is slow and heavy and not a easy swallow for those who want action while Deadman remains dumb, it can't even relish in its violence like the OVAs of old. Of course no matter how well they sell or dub it, it won't fix the drop off end, so whether or not this will remain the whole show or only a part, what exists is forgettable.

Did FUNi ever grab the OVA, and will it be part of the Toonami airing? Not like it helps improve the anime, but it means another week before they can move onto another series. I hope this one doesn't going into syndication, I doubt many will want to see it again after it ends, the "effect" and "shock" will have completely worn off. The only reason anyone would even glance at this title is because it is one of the few go on basic cable, same with Casshern.

The other matter I want to ask, why can't Toonami/Adult Swim keep the schedule a secret? Because it messes too much with DVRs and online schedulers who need to know that information for the sake of their customers? I don't see how you can keep a schedule secret anymore, not with how technology directly affects when and how we view our programming.
SereneChaos

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I'm still watching and enjoying Deadman Wonderland. Once it ends whether I continue watching Toonami depends on what they do to replace it. If they rerun it, I won't tune in again until they get something new. I'll try any series they get that I haven't seen before, but I'm not guaranteed to watch more than an episode or two.
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Haven't missed a night since 05/26. Here's to this dreadfully grueling Bleach filler ending in a few weeks. It'll be nice to hear and watch Miwa's opening on the tele. Smile
Hiro94

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
Earlier this morning on Twitter Toonami Founder Jason Demarco tweeted that Toonami has 5 to 6 things their working on for the programming block.
Does anyone have any speculation of what they think it might be?
I think that its new bumps promo's and game reviews.
Also The Toonami Faithfull podcast has a good plan for everyone to tweet #WatchToonami on friday and Saturday night's .https://twitter.com/Clarknova1[url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 16